Stephon Castle: “Hurley wants me to play a lot at the one” | The Boneyard

Stephon Castle: “Hurley wants me to play a lot at the one”

Reaction Score
Quick pivot to next year’s team with this little nugget:

What are the chances that Newton comes back? If so, they could play together and share the duties with Jackson, assuming he comes back too. I really hope Jackson comes back.

Reaction Score
Castle didn't complete any dunks in his McDonald's dunk contest attempt.

Reaction Score
Is there any reason to believe he couldn't fill the role at least as well as Newton?

caw

Reaction Score
Newton is a much better shooter, but Castle will probably drive/finish/draw fouls much better.

Newton has been great especially recently, but I think Castle might surprise you. His %s suffer from being the man on his team, esp when they had some injuries mid season. He should do much better in Hurleys offense.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Newton has been great especially recently, but I think Castle might surprise you. His %s suffer from being the man on his team, esp when they had some injuries mid season. He should do much better in Hurleys offense.
Being a great shooter means making contested shots. I think senior Newton is more developed in this regard to freshman Castle, but that isn’t a knock on him at all. I think he can make a good percent of the open ones.

caw

Reaction Score
Being a great shooter means making contested shots. I think senior Newton is more developed in this regard to freshman Castle, but that isn’t a knock on him at all. I think he can make a good percent of the open ones.
But Newton's percentages rose when he stopped taking more contested shots from three, he does take contested twos and bury them on occasion. He really has been taking only two types of shots from deep. One is when he is wide open and the ball is kicked to him and the second is when he sets the defender up pretty well when they go under the screen at the top of the key and he is a a step or two behind the arc.

Only Hawkins and Joey take really contested hand in the face threes. Alleyne has also been taking more open shots but still probably more tightly guarded than the others. Karaban and Newton get late challenges but the ball is well on it's way by the time the defender gets to them on most of their threes. Jackson and Sanogo usually have feet between them and the defender when they hoist from three.

Reaction Score
What are the chances that Newton comes back? If so, they could play together and share the duties with Jackson, assuming he comes back too. I really hope Jackson comes back.
We would need to get the NIL rolling if we want him back. IMHO
Didn't Miami work out 400K each for two of their players currently on their roster?
(Thats what the internet said- ).
Fund Raiser?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Are we going to get a lot of posts next season that we don't have a real point guard?
Yes. It will be just as 20 years ago as it was all summer. The Boston Celtics also don't have a real point guard. I think Hurley tipped his hand a bit this tournament. Diarra isn't coming in when Newton goes out, Alleyne is and Jackson is the PG.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Are we going to get a lot of posts next season that we don't have a real point guard?

Well he isn't a real "traditional" PG, doesn't mean we can't be successful though.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Well he isn't a real "traditional" PG, doesn't mean we can't be successful though.

I would further that - I think some people are saying “not a traditional PG therefore not a point guard.”

Traditional, maybe not, but he’s still a “real” point. I feel that distinction is important. I do think he’s a point.

Reaction Score
I’ve been confused by the talk of Castle not being up to point guard. I think he’s a combo because he’s big and can score, but he plays point. I think that’s his role here, and it was always the case.
I think most here believe Castle will play a lot of point. That doesn’t mean we couldn’t use another pg or combo next season.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I think most here believe Castle will play a lot of point. That doesn’t mean we couldn’t use another pg or combo next season.

If Jackson is back, definitely if Newton is back, we’ll be fine. I don’t disagree another would be useful, but I’ve seen posters say he is NOT a point. I disagree with that.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
when he sets the defender up pretty well when they go under the screen at the top of the key and he is a a step or two behind the arc.
Or three. He does not let distance to the hoop interfere with his decision to launch. I swear his 3pt percentage is at least as good from the extra distance as when he's a toenail away from the line.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom