St Johns Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

St Johns Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Many posts mentioning mental fatigue, pressure, lack of joy, etc. I assume there is a good sports psychologist affiliated with the team. Geno needs to make use of him or her now.
For him, or the players?

Reaction Score
This team is exhausted. The play is lethargic missing several lay ups and playing soft undisciplined defense. They showed against SC and Villanova what they can do, now it is up to the coach to make sure he rests them enough to finish the season strong. It is telling when his team is playing like they did tonight and he still didn't put his bench in so his starters could watch a little ball and get their focus.

Geno is funny to me. Most of the time he is a genius and at others he completely ignores what he sees on the floor. This team is capable of beating any team in the country but they will only do it if they get meaningful contributions from players that aren't playing right now. The hourglass is getting low so it will be interesting to see where they go from here.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
How many points did our PG score tonight? Asking for a friend.
Nika scored 13 points on 4-8 shooting from the floor and 3-4 from the line. She also had 4 rebounds, but only 3 assists, which is way below her average.

Reaction Score
I recall Geno saying that the team hasn't had a chance to get better due to (injuries) lack of practice time. Geno will prepare them best he can but seems this team may need both help and luck to get back to the final four.

Reaction Score
I mentioned this in the chat but I think it bears repeating. It's not just the lack of scoring on the first shots. SC isn't great with scoring on their first shot, but they rebound well and consistently get 2nd, 3rd, 4th chances. Or at least draw a foul. And they are good with defensive boards as well as offensive. If we could rebound better then it would make up for a lot of other deficiencies.

But like Geno said in postgame, you are what you are at this point. Sometimes they have brilliant rebounding games. Most of the time ... not. Like everything else about this season, the lack of consistency kills them.

Reaction Score
Geno seems to really be calling out his team in his presser, instead of the toughest team that he called them earlier in the season, with not much mention of being tired, physically or mentally. He said today's game is more physical than Creighton and Villanova game and the players just did not respond. I did not think today's game is anywhere near as physical as the other two. That presser certainly has a very different feel but he did give a lot of credit to St John's. Can't wait to hear what Nika has to say next if they will carry it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno seems to really be calling out his team in his presser, instead of the toughest team that he called them earlier in the season, with not much mention of being tired, physically or mentally. He said today's game is more physical than Creighton and Villanova game and the players just did not respond. I did not think today's game is anywhere near as physical as the other two. That presser certainly has a very different feel but he did give a lot of credit to St John's. Can't wait to hear what Nika has to say next if they will carry it.

JBK

Reaction Score
I say it's time to get off the "mentally and physically tired" train (me included) The team was just plain awful tonight! What is so difficult about boxing out, and going after a rebound (maybe following up a shot once), really going after a loose ball., or playing good defense, St. John players were on the floor, scrapping for the ball, and the Huskies were bending over at the hip, reaching for the ball to come to them. Offense is slow, and too much standing around. I have to stop before I get carried away!
Agreed. Coach CD knows how to give the Bench confidence and rotate them in and out.
We have 9 scholarship players and do not want to hear we are tired anymore. We think we have 5 and do not practice and it shows -
The 4 high offense is not as effective when teams crowd the middle.
We need to adapt -

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Nika scored 13 points on 4-8 shooting from the floor and 3-4 from the line. She also had 4 rebounds, but only 3 assists, which is way below her average.
Sorry, I know her stats, I was being sarcastic in my reply and forgot to use an emoji.

Reaction Score
Nika is many things but she has very average quickness and size, so it is hard for her to breakdown a defense. She is a creative passer - her biggest strength. But, if she has no one to pass to, we are in big trouble like tonight. Her defense has definitely dropped off, mostly from fatigue I'm guessing.

Reaction Score
The season's not over, but I would rather see us lose to a team who has been considered our "equal" or better this season. A loss is a loss but some losses look worse than others.
In a regular season sure but this team has been through so much. I mean it started in the off season with Paige and then on and on. I do not think it's hyperbole to say that most teams would be reeling and yet they stand at 24-5. Just have to take it one game at a time. Don't play down to the competition and when the ball goes up....get to work.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Kudos to St John's for an impressive victory.

Two things disturbed me about UConn's performance:

The number of good passes that just went through players' hands. Hit them right where they wanted them, but just went right through the hands.

They shot fine from three-point land, but no better from three feet. And not just missing, but missing badly. I think they failed to draw iron at least five times from five feet and in.

I'm hopeful that the 3-4 days off between the last game and the conference tourney does some good, but confident that the week-plus between the BE tourney and the dance will rejuvenate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom