St Johns Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

St Johns Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the St Johns game:
  • I was hoping for a relatively stress-free game tonight. So much for that. The word is out. Pack it in on defense and force the Huskies to hit outside shots. In addition, UConn gave the Red Storm a lot of open looks from the arc and they hit a bunch of 3’s. Lastly, SJ attacked the offensive boards in waves getting far too many 2nd chance baskets.
  • Lou pretty much kept the Huskies in the game during the first half. She got a little more help from her teammates in the second half, but it wasn't enough to pull out the game tonight.
  • Daniel Patterson plays just under 16 mpg, scoring 6.5 ppg for SJ this season. Tonight she looked like a 1st Team all-conference player. :confused:
  • A win tonight would have assured UConn of a share of the conference championship, along with the top seed in the conference tournament. That will all have to wait for another day.
  • The victory for SJ tonight may just have gotten the Red Storm into the Big Dance.
  • This is just my perception so take it for what it’s worth. The Huskies aren't having much fun right now. The team is tired, tight and playing under a lot of pressure, without much joy or confidence at times. Basketball is supposed to be fun! I wish I could wave a magic wand and make it so for this team, but that has to come from within.
  • I’ll be traveling on Saturday, so I ask that another BY’er start the DePaul postgame thread in my absence. Many thanks.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
St. John's played well. Patterson, Bailey and Everett were great.

As has been the norm lately, St. Johns limited UConn’s transition scoring.

At this point, UConn is fairly easy to prepare for. The limited roster prevent’s the Huskies from pressing much or switching up by playing zone. Opponents are not concerned with most of the non starters.

The upgrade foul on Edwards in the third quarter the momentum.

The Huskies may have two easy games left this season, tourney play included. Get used to close, hard-fought games like tonight.

Reaction Score
Disappointment all around.

First St John’s earned this win. They outplayed UConn in every facet of the game. But let’s face it - UConn is not very good right now. Each UConn player was subpar. AE has hands like feet all of a sudden, I still think she needs to change it up and take off the mask. NM shot great, but did not do much else right. Dorka - where to start with her thought process tonight? She messed up in all phases and did not go after the ball with any tenacity. Even reliable AG took the night off. Lou was short all night. Caroline got rejected seemingly every shot she took. This UConn team has a lot of grit but not much else. They are tired and I’m anfraid all signs pointing to early tourney exits

Reaction Score
Frustrated Headache GIF by Kelly Clarkson

What else is there to say.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This game is 192-47 at full strength.

UConn is just exhausted. They’re able to extend themselves in big matchups, but it leaves them with no legs in the next game.

They’re not machines - they’re just tired.

Reaction Score
At some point, fans (and perhaps the team) need to realize that the issues with this team can not be explained with either "more rest" or "Azzi getting back". There are fundmental problems with this team that Geno/the coaches will need to figure out or they'll be out before the Sweet 16, let alone the Final 4.

The Big East has figured out Geno's offense. Geno needs to figure out what to do because the game plan against UCONN is now set in stone.

No team that even hopes to win a national championship is so bad with turnovers. Bringing back Fudd will fix it.

There are no easy games left. None. This team needs to figure out an answer or things will be over very early.

Reaction Score
UConn has no one to blame for the loss than themselves. Outside of Lou I really felt like the team was going through the motions offensively a lot of the game.

I think the only thing that will really provide any spark is a healthy Fudd coming back in prime Fudd form. Our offense just lacks any consistent outside shooting minus Lou, and it’s just hard to score right now.

Having both Fudd and Lou on the court together really opens up the spacing and allows for a lot more of the cuts to work and gets better looks for AE and Dorka. Hopefully this was just a bad game for CD as she works her way back.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the St Johns game:
  • I was hoping for a relatively stress-free game tonight. So much for that. The word is out. Pack it in on defense and force the Huskies to hit outside shots. In addition, UConn gave the Red Storm a lot of open looks from the arc and they hit a bunch of 3’s. Lastly, SJ attacked the offensive boards in waves getting far too many 2nd chance baskets.
  • Lou pretty much kept the Huskies in the game during the first half. She got a little more help from her teammates in the second half, but it wasn't enough to pull out the game tonight.
  • Daniel Patterson plays just under 16 mpg, scoring 6.5 ppg for SJ this season. Tonight she looked like a 1st Team all-conference player. :confused:
  • A win tonight would have assured UConn of a share of the conference championship, along with the top seed in the conference tournament. That will all have to wait for another day.
  • The victory for SJ tonight may just have gotten the Red Storm into the Big Dance.
  • This is just my perception so take it for what it’s worth. The Huskies aren't having much fun right now. The team is tired, tight and playing under a lot of pressure, without much joy or confidence at times. Basketball is supposed to be fun! I wish I could wave a magic wand and make it so for this team, but that has to come from within.
  • I’ll be traveling on Saturday, so I ask that another BY’er start the DePaul postgame thread in my absence. Many thanks.
Not having fun. Agree … long season has caught up with the Huskies.

Reaction Score
No much to say. Rebounds and boxing out really stand out as poor today. I don't really understand the shot selection in the last 2 minutes either.

Maybe they are mentally and/or physically tired but, right now, we are not a top 5 team.

Now a 2 seed. And it does matter. We may need to play South Carolina, Indiana or Stanford to get to the Final 4.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I well remember what I said before the Providence game on Feb. 1. If anyone else remembers I may seem prophetic, but it was clear to me. I took a lot of flack for what I said, but it was the truth as I saw it. I feel for these young women. Deeply. It's disheartening to see them lose, but it's more so to see their tired, unsmiling faces, even when they're winning.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
No much to say. Rebounds and boxing out really stand out as poor today. I don't really understand the shot selection in the 2 minutes either.

Maybe they are mentally and/or physically tired but, right now, we are not a top 5 team.

Now a 2 seed. And it does matter. We may need to play South Carolina, Indiana or Stanford to get to the Final 4.
I think the final four is a reach.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
No much to say. Rebounds and boxing out really stand out as poor today. I don't really understand the shot selection in the 2 minutes either.

A game against one of them was always inevitable

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Bummer that we lost but when a team shoots 50% from three they have a shot against us this season. Just a rough patch for various reasons.

Hey, Nova beat DePaul by only 3 tonight. Tell me they didn't have a post game letdown too? Unfortunately DePaul only shot 21% from three.

Reaction Score
I'm only taking this "tired" for so long. UConn has traditionally only really gone 7 deep. Game, two days off, game, three days off, game, two days off. Back three weeks ago when they had a brutal run, I'd give you tired, At this point, it's just not making bunnies (I counted 7!), and not boxing out. Neither of those should have anything to do with being tired. Your at UConn, not Delphi, your supposed to make those. Again, I don't mean to be harsh but thats the way I see it.

Reaction Score
Not having fun. Agree … long season has caught up with the Huskies.
Can't say many of us are having fun this season right now, tbh.

It’s more mental fatigue than physical.
This x100000.

Just don't understand how every game we either start off playing from behind OR we get a lead and then go cold. Every. Time. It's like there is no killer instinct to put teams away.

Reaction Score
DeCharme hitting 1-11 pretty much sums it up...we couldn't buy points if they were for sale. Fudd and Bueckers being out never became more obvious than tonight. So many factors caused this upset, and St. John being up to the task was one of them. Nobody is afraid of UConn anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom