St. John Post Game Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

St. John Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
I really think it's just lack of concentration. 3x I saw good things happen for them, they could have put the hammer down, and instead they just relaxed and lost concentration.

For instance, the guy who stepped on the line on the inbounds play late. We get the ball, do nothing, and settle for a bad 3. That kind of thing happened 3x in the last 7 minutes.

Basically losing concentration on a possession is just asking for it.

But I'm happy they won and settled in on defense in the OT.

This will help with their confidence.

A little lucky too on Tyrese's shot.

Reaction Score
Positive momentum. Keep getting healthy and back to practice. We know this team will struggle to close, the key is surviving.
I think the key is making sure the game isn’t that close lmao

Reaction Score
The lineup at the 13’ mark was atrocious. Called a timeout and trotted them back out. I think we had a double-digit lead before the coaching malfeasance.
that same lineup was great in the first half (remember the polley 3, gaff 2, hawk 3 sequence?) and hurley called the TO when they were terrible in the second half. can't blame this fiasco on that lineup.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Man two really intense games in a row. This league is so tough. It reminds me of the old Big East. I have to feel like our teams are going to be prepared going into the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
This seems to be the script when we play St. Johns. They never quit. Well coached team that always seems to make runs on us.
I bookmaraked the 13 min mark in the 2nd half when UCon was up 13 and RJ had to go to the bench with 3 fouls. That is when SJU stemmed the tide and started cutting the deficit albeit slowl. UConn had a lot wasted possessions

Reaction Score
Ended up not mattering but I have no idea what the clock operator was doing in the 2nd half. Ran an extra 7 seconds off the clock after Wheeler's 3 with 1:01 left
Is the clock supposed to stop there when it gets down to 1 minute? Or because it went through on the "plus side" of 1 minute does the clock just keep running?

Reaction Score
In the last 5:15...

They made 5 of 6 3's to end regulation. Pretty much all contested.

Cole missed a couple shots, we had a couple dumb turnovers, and we went to the line 4 times and went 1/2 each time.

100% execution.

Reaction Score
That was almost a bad loss. But instead its a good win. We have to figure out how to close teams out, it’s infuriating. That Champagne shot was incredible, not much you can do about that. The fact they were even within one was the issue. I’m happy we won, a win is a win. We have an incredibly soft part of our BE schedule coming up. We need to roll
That was a clutch shot by Champagnie.
But I wondered why Cole was on him giving up 7”-8”. There must have been a defensive switch that I didnt see.

Reaction Score
Just a weird, weird game! we were lucky to win after blowing a lead all game long. It isn't not closing so much (which is happening) tonight, we just don't know how to take a lead and put the other team away. UConn was always up 5 or 7 or even on occasion a little higher. Then, they relaxed, threw the ball away trying to do too much or too fancy. UConn would do well to figure out how to avoid having to close out at the end.
And thank God for Sanogo. That was one of the all-time great UConn performances!

Reaction Score
Pros:
They won a close game - builds confidence.

Cons:
The game should have never been that close - I can feel the tension through the tv when the lead gets within 8 under 2 minutes. Absolutely terrified to make a mistake.

They won in crunch time through sheer attrition and mistakes by St Johns - maybe it’s because we have been spoiled with guards with brass stones throughout the years, but can anyone come up with that clutch shot on our side? Telling that our coach went with the “get fouled” play with 3 seconds left instead of “get our guy the ball to bring it home” play.

On to the next.

Reaction Score
that same lineup was great in the first half (remember the polley 3, gaff 2, hawk 3 sequence?) and hurley called the TO when they were terrible in the second half. can't blame this fiasco on that lineup.
This. We also could have and should have been up 16-20 in the first half, if not for some ridiculous turnovers. I’m thrilled with the win, but this team will provide us with a healthy dose of nailbiters the rest of the way.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Sure feels better to win going into another long break before games.

Turnovers are our issues when we are up. We get sloppy. We also suck at free throws after tv timeouts. I hate the rule of going to a timeout before we shoot free throws. Total momentum killer.
We always seem to let them score after a timeout.

Overall we played a good game, just not a consistently good game.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Good: Good momentum builder. Sanogo is an absolute beast. Looks way more athletic than last year. Our interior defense is elite. Teams can barely get shots off inside. RJ’s stability.

Bad: Free throw shooting needs to improve. Crowd sucked. Diggins looked miserable on the bench, I hope we don’t lose this kid. Need Martin to be better, hasn’t been the same since the wrist injury. Gaffney and Hawkins poor play continues.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That was a clutch shot by Champagnie.
But I wondered why Cole was on him giving up 7”-8”. There must have been a defensive switch that I didnt see.
Yep, why was Cole on a guy 7 inches taller on that possession?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom