Sportscenter obsession with pro wrestling | The Boneyard

Sportscenter obsession with pro wrestling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't get why the world wide leader is covering wrestlemania like its some major sporting event. I mean I watched wwe when I was like 10-12 but don't understand why all of a sudden this has become an event worth analyzing and covering for ESPN.

Reaction Score
Personally I don't find it entertaining at all and have never watched. But it does require a ton of athletic ability and there's a huge fan base who is interested

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Personally I don't find it entertaining at all and have never watched. But it does require a ton of athletic ability and there's a huge fan base who is interested
Outcome = predetermined =/= sport.

It was a knob-polishing money grab

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Athletic people acting out a planned routine. Not sports but definitely takes athleticism. Lots of the guys on the roster are usually former college athletes. It's basically professional movie stuntmen. But it should probably be on a channel other than ESPN.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
SportsCenter aiming more for casual fans. Have you noticed how much time they spend talking about social media?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This thread made me realize I haven't seen sportscenter in years.

It's all about entertainment now. Not sports. ESPN tries to get Hollywood involved at any juncture.

Reaction Score
ESPN is partnered up with wwe soooooooo there's a big push on their programming to report and "sell" it. I think one of their on air guys "coach" got his start in the businesses too..for what it's with it is entertainment and tonight is their biggest night of the year.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I worked at WWE out of college for a few years. I'm well versed in the carney talk that goes on in wrestling circles. It took me a few years after leaving to stop talking like that. To this day I still use the word "gimmick" way out of context way too often.
Oh man I want to hear stories and that's a shoot!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
@Jimmy Serrano . I'm of the opinion, dead serious, That hogan and bubba the love sponge just pulled off the greatest real life work of all time with the gawker thing. Pro wresting culture is that of a con game where the workers are smart and the marks are dumb and that their whole lives are geared toward that fact and ( you know probably as well as anyone) that the arrogance and just plain conditioning of that life often creeps to the real world. They think they can get away with anything because is their job to do just that.

Reaction Score
@Jimmy Serrano . I'm of the opinion, dead serious, That hogan and bubba the love sponge just pulled off the greatest real life work of all time with the gawker thing. Pro wresting culture is that of a con game where the workers are smart and the marks are dumb and that their whole lives are geared toward that fact and ( you know probably as well as anyone) that the arrogance and just plain conditioning of that life often creeps to the real world. They think they can get away with anything because is their job to do just that.

Yeah you saw that in the trial when Hogan kept saying that he and Terry Bollea were 2 different people. He said Hulk Hogan has a 9 inch piece but Terry Bollea does not.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

I love what happen to gawker there. They are far, far below pro wrestlers on the 'intlzncster hate scale'. Pro wrestlers are basically harmless, discounting PED stuff.

Gawker is sub life form stuff.

Reaction Score
Espn has become a parody of itself. The sportscasters want to be the story and insert themselves into everything. Gonzo style.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This thread made me realize I haven't seen sportscenter in years.

I can't remember the last time I watched Sports Center. I don't watch any ESPN show other than an actual sporting event.

If I want to see highlights I go to the webpage, pull up the game I am interested in finding out info about and watch the highlights.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
ESPN found out recently that there was a pretty big crossover between their audience and the WWE audience, especially on social media.

Why ESPN is featuring WWE on SportsCenter

I graduated high school with Glenn Jacobs. Nice kid, couldn't play a lick of sports but was always interested in the coaching and the logistics side of things. I think he started working at ESPN before he graduated college. Funny to see his name in the news.

Reaction Score
ESPN found out recently that there was a pretty big crossover between their audience and the WWE audience, especially on social media.

Why ESPN is featuring WWE on SportsCenter

Thanks for posting that. I could see the benefit from the WWE's standpoint (who's going to argue with positive coverage from a company like ESPN,) but couldn't think of the motivation from ESPN's side.

Reaction Score
I graduated high school with Glenn Jacobs. Nice kid, couldn't play a lick of sports but was always interested in the coaching and the logistics side of things. I think he started working at ESPN before he graduated college. Funny to see his name in the news.

You sure that's the same Glenn Jacobs? The Glenn Jacobs mentioned in that article is a wrestler who goes by Kane.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting that. I could see the benefit from the WWE's standpoint (who's going to argue with positive coverage from a company like ESPN,) but couldn't think of the motivation from ESPN's side.

It's money dude. Always money.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You sure that's the same Glenn Jacobs? The Glenn Jacobs mentioned in that article is a wrestler who goes by Kane.

From the linked article, I'm referring to this Glenn Jacobs.

Glenn Jacobs, senior coordinating producer of ESPN’s New & Next Group (a 25-30-person group that focuses on new content plays for the company), said his staff has spent a lot of time researching what ESPN viewers are paying attention to on social media. They found that ESPN viewers are very interested in WWE content. For example: Last Monday’s WWE Raw, which airs on USA Network, was the most-talked about topic among SportsCenter’s nearly 26 million Twitter followers (The ESPN researchers look at hashtags and key words). WWE content, in fact, drew three times as many as mentions as the second-most talked about topic that night: LeBron James. Jacobs said WWE Raw has been a top five talked-about topic over the last five weeks among SportsCenter followers on Twitter and a top 10 topic for 15 straight weeks.

Here's his full bio from ESPN. He graduated from Rockville High in 1988 (Same year and school as Mike Ferrell from football recruiting sites).

Glenn Jacobs - ESPN MediaZone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog