OT: - Sports Pope returning to WFAN | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Sports Pope returning to WFAN

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I was completely lost. I hadn’t heard about Halliday at that point and was completely caught off guard. So I didn’t have a second to formulate a good response. ;)

Oops I used a banned phrase. I actually wrote I would have gotten the blank out of there. But yeah, someone ambushing you with a mic is a tough spot.

Reaction Score
The thing is that people want Pats talk 24/7/365. As a 24 year old, I immediately turn off WEEI when they start talking Red Sox--no one my age likes baseball, even die hard sports fans. Of course, there are exceptions, but baseball is incredibly unpopular for young people. Sports Hub took over because they decided to focus on football while WEEI had to keep talking Sox because they carry all the games. That's my perception, at least.
No offense, but the more I learn about your generation, the less I like it. Baseball is more popular than ever, it must be all old people buying tickets and watching games.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
No offense, but the more I learn about your generation, the less I like it. Baseball is more popular than ever, it must be all old people buying tickets and watching games.

Well if you look up the average age of viewership in the four major sports, baseball has the highest avg age by a considerable margin. It's an issue that Manfred is very aware of--thats the impetus for a lot of the pace of play stuff

Reaction Score
Well if you look up the average age of viewership in the four major sports, baseball has the highest avg age by a considerable margin. It's an issue that Manfred is very aware of--thats the impetus for a lot of the pace of play stuff
Fair point. It also doesn’t help bsseball’s cause that your generation is more interested in internet at home and less interested in tv. I’m in the cable industry, by and large people under 30 either don’t want cable tv or take it as part of a package to lower their internet price. A lot of the lower tier tv packages come with the local networks that broadcast local NFL games but not regional sports networks like NESN, YES, SNY etc

Reaction Score
Uncle Mikey is the best in the business!!
First thing he did was tell Mink to shut up so he could get started

It's AMAZING that he's somehow indignant today

Reaction Score
The thing is that people want Pats talk 24/7/365. As a 24 year old, I immediately turn off WEEI when they start talking Red Sox--no one my age likes baseball, even die hard sports fans. Of course, there are exceptions, but baseball is incredibly unpopular for young people. Sports Hub took over because they decided to focus on football while WEEI had to keep talking Sox because they carry all the games. That's my perception, at least.
Sorry buster, Football, Baseball, & Basketball are all top sports throughout the US. You sound ignorant to say no one likes Baseball, wake up youngster!!

Reaction Score

Can you post the numbers? Thx.

Reaction Score
Im in my mid 20's who's in and out of Boston all the time. Not even close to accurate

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Im in my mid 20's who's in and out of Boston all the time. Not even close to accurate

I live in CT, so I can't speak to that. Can only speak to my friends, and the fact that my hometown basically can't field baseball teams anymore--had to merge two leagues because kids weren't playing anymore. Also, Minihane on WEEI would probably share my opinion--he often rags on the station for its association with the red sox. And whether you like baseball or not, there's no question WEEI pumps baseball more to get listeners on the games.

Reaction Score
Yup, you're right. Not sure how that lines up with the average age of Americans rising in general, it would be helpful if they included that.
Yeah but since these stats are about viewership, I strongly believe the reason the age is rising so much for most sports is due to people in 20s and 30s not subscribing to cable tv and therefore not being represented in the numbers. Maybe they’re watching at sportsbars, finding streams online or watching big games at a friend or parent’s house.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I live in CT, so I can't speak to that. Can only speak to my friends, and the fact that my hometown basically can't field baseball teams anymore--had to merge two leagues because kids weren't playing anymore. Also, Minihane on WEEI would probably share my opinion--he often rags on the station for its association with the red sox. And whether you like baseball or not, there's no question WEEI pumps baseball more to get listeners on the games.
The Red Sox are all WEEI has, so they have to push it. Sports Hub has everything else (and is just a better station overall TBH...WEEI is so cranky all the time).

But I'd imagine Sox coverage is more valuable than you'd think. Everyone living north or south of the city is sitting in hours of traffic every weeknight, and during the summer baseball is the only game in town.

Reaction Score
The Red Sox are all WEEI has, so they have to push it. Sports Hub has everything else (and is just a better station overall TBH...WEEI is so cranky all the time).

But I'd imagine Sox coverage is more valuable than you'd think. Everyone living north or south of the city is sitting in hours of traffic every weeknight, and during the summer baseball is the only game in town.
That doesn't pass sniff test. Baseball starts after 7 and traffic dies down by then, 80% of commuting these days is between 4-6:30PM (and lots of earlier starts to avoid traffic, people work 7-4). Ie. I leave from Boston to drive West one night a week and if I leave at 645 traffic is annoying but not stop&go, if I wait until after 7 its wide open. People aren't stuck in traffic during Sox broadcasts.

I think the #1 thing around here that helps baseball is that the Sox absolutely are part of the culture. And Fenway is a lot of fun by far the most games = easiest & cheapest to get tickets to.
My kids hate baseball and won't watch it on TV, but they LOVE going to games. That's kind of about the food now but also about the experience and that will strengthen & continue into their young adulthood. Totally anecdotal but I have a nephew graduating college and I know proximity to the Red Sox exerted an influence on where he'll work/live.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

Ive really never listened to Sports Hub just because eei is all that comes through in CT and I dont feel like streaming all the time. Whats their best show?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Ive really never listened to Sports Hub just because eei is all that comes through in CT and I dont feel like streaming all the time. Whats their best show?

Felger and Mazz is the top rated sports show in the city. I don't listen because Felger doesn't deviate from sports (so I've heard) and I find a sports only format boring. Clearly, since it's rated so highly, others disagree.

Reaction Score
I like Toucher and Rich in the morning. Those guys put together some hilarious segments.

Felger and Mazz on the afternoon drive is ok, but as MattMang said, they're very sports heavy. They're lighter than say, Mike Francesa though. They have a sense of humor.

And then starting at 6 PM Adam Jones is great. He's basically just a sarcastic pessimist who likes to pee on everyone's parade

Reaction Score
Mazz is the whiniest waste of space on radio.
Felger is a button pusher but I can tolerate him if he’s with someone who can call him out on some stuff.
But mazz is truly an idiot.
For a former baseball writer it’s amazing how dumb he comes across when talking baseball

Reaction Score
Baseball has problems that could be corrected and add viewers. I’m old school and love baseball but even i can’t stay tuned in and go in and out of the games because of slow play and boredom. Actually keep the game day app on my ipad so I can switch back during critical moments when watching other things. maybe i have no attention span. Announcers can’t find new things to say so turning the sound off helps at times. The mound visit restrictions save little to no time.
I would not allow the batters to step out of the box at all unless they get knocked down or spun out of there at the umps digression. The penalty is a strike awarded to the defense. Also pitchers taking too long get a ball called on them if they go beyond 20 seconds to make a pitch once the ball is returned to them. How about a hitter that slides into second on a double. they hold their hand up to call time in every case. baseball games were 2 hours for a long time but 3 and nearly 4 hour games are quite common. It’s watching paint dry.

Reaction Score
Baseball has problems that could be corrected and add viewers. I’m old school and love baseball but even i can’t stay tuned in and go in and out of the games because of slow play and boredom. Actually keep the game day app on my ipad so I can switch back during critical moments when watching other things. maybe i have no attention span. Announcers can’t find new things to say so turning the sound off helps at times. The mound visit restrictions save little to no time.
I would not allow the batters to step out of the box at all unless they get knocked down or spun out of there at the umps digression. The penalty is a strike awarded to the defense. Also pitchers taking too long get a ball called on them if they go beyond 20 seconds to make a pitch once the ball is returned to them. How about a hitter that slides into second on a double. they hold their hand up to call time in every case. baseball games were 2 hours for a long time but 3 and nearly 4 hour games are quite common. It’s watching paint dry.
I’m a huge baseball fan, even I can’t watch a complete game anymore typically. With MLBTV, I like flipping around to different games and coming back to the Red Sox game. So while I’m still watching baseball, I find it difficult to watch one game uninterrupted. There are probably 20 minutes that can be shaved off each game easily, here are some of my thoughts as to how:

-Limit batters to step out once per at bat, as Jibsey said, any occurrence beyond that results in a strike

-Reduce the number of warmup pitches a pitcher gets to 3. While the mound may be different, they’ve already been warming up in the pen, so that’s redundant and a waste of time. Last night, James Paxton was removed after 100 pitches, despite having a 16k shutout after 7 innings. His pen blew the game immediately. If you cut down the warmup pitches each game, guys could throw more actual pitches and reliance on bullpens would go down, shortening games.

-Have relievers in dugout, ready to take field with team, if they’re starting an inning and follow the 3 warmup pitch rule.

-Limit the # of pickoff attempts each batter. Fans get very frustrated and impatient when pitchers throw over to first, 5 or 6 times during one at bat.

Other than cutting down on replay time, time between pitches, and stepping out of the box, I see the bullpen as the main way to cut down on time of play. Having a much more efficient process with pitching changes, warming up etc would go a long way towards crisping up the game and bringing back fan interest.

Reaction Score
I started listening to Mike when I was a first year law student in 1992. He and Chris Russo were just starting to hit their stride and they were very entertaining. In my opinion, they were great for each other. Chris was bombastic, exuberant and prone to tirades about an issue. Mike was calm and, dare I say, pompous. They smoothed out each other's rough spots. As time went on, they got a little tiresome, but never stopped being entertaining to me. When they split up, Mike's annoying habits became more pronounced because Chris's personality wasn't there to mask them. He became dismissive of callers, to the point of being out and out rude. He became monotone on the air, often repeating the same point two and three times. ("You can't take Chapman out of the closer's role. Chapman is the closer. You have to keep Chapman in that spot...case closed.") I think that he basically mailed in his last two years. Now that he is back, I wonder if I will listen again. This has to be a blow to the colossal ego of his. He is back, doing the same job, for less money.

We'll see how it goes.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Jason in CT: "Hello Mike, great to have you back. Do you think Matt Harvey will be in the bullpen longer than your retirement was?"

Mike: "Ya moron."

above dialogue was truncated.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom