OT: - Sports Pope returning to WFAN | The Boneyard

OT: Sports Pope returning to WFAN

Reaction Score
Im sure there will be an uproar for a little while, but when things calm down it will be like he never left. WFAN needs Mike Francesa whether they love him or hate him.

Reaction Score
There are too many listeners in that older demographic who still love him; it makes sense to bring him back for another five years.

Plus the current Afternoon Drive show is bad, to the surprise of no one. Why is Bart Scott on the primo radio show in NYC? The Continent was always best suited as a fill-in. Maggie Gray is the best person on the show by a mile IMO. They should find a permanent place for her somewhere on WFAN.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
He didn't even get to enjoy a summer with the kids haha. I can't stand him. He is an arrogant blowhard and I disagree with him on almost everything. That said, radio is better with him, so I'll be listening if for no other reason than to laugh at him.

Reaction Score
This current afternoon drive group is unlistenable. Fatso was reportedly making 5 mill per year. How much does it cost to get him back?

He has young kids and wanted to "spend more time" with them. He did. Maybe he's paying the Fan to take him back. Head bang

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
He didn't even get to enjoy a summer with the kids haha. I can't stand him. He is an arrogant blowhard and I disagree with him on almost everything. That said, radio is better with him, so I'll be listening if for no other reason than to laugh at him.

This take is why sports radio is as popular as it is. Colin Cowherd fits this description to a tee.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
IMO it's one of the worst radio shows I have ever heard
Well to be fair - Mike and the Mad Dog took awhile to get a rhythm too. That being said, Im not a huge fan of the show either, but I don't think it's that bad. Way better than Michael Kay IMO. I'd switch between CMB and Mad Dog like I did with Mike and Chris. Both are good listens. Giving Mike less time on the air is probably good too. Not as much of a commitment but enough to keep him busy.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
This take is why sports radio is as popular as it is. Colin Cowherd fits this description to a tee.

His ratings are terrible since he left ESPN, though.

Reaction Score
He's so much a better alternative then what they have now. I tried and couldn't stay with them more then 5 minutes.

Reaction Score
the problem with the new show is less about the hosts but that there are too many of them. They should fill Francesa's old slot with one person, thats it. Listening to a solo show is much better than these groups. Evan Roberts (sat. mornings), Richard Neer, Jody Mac, those shows are much more enjoyable than a crowded conversation of 3 people.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I actually haven't minded Carlin, Maggie and Bart

They are not compelling at all, but I don’t hate them. I think they could find a better groove by rotating one of the off each day so it’s more two voices than three. Three voices is very hard to do.

Reaction Score
the problem with the new show is less about the hosts but that there are too many of them. They should fill Francesa's old slot with one person, thats it. Listening to a solo show is much better than these groups. Evan Roberts (sat. mornings), Richard Neer, Jody Mac, those shows are much more enjoyable than a crowded conversation of 3 people.

I like the "one star with the supporting cast of nobodies" format. Dan Patrick and Rich Eisen's shows both do this and it's a great format. The staff is there to contribute here and there so the show doesn't drag and receives a little pop but it's still about the main talent in the studio.

Those two shows are by far the best two shows on sports talk radio IMO. I wasn't a big fan of Patrick's smug self when he was at ESPN but he's a fantastic radio host. Rich Eisen is the man. Pulls of an entertaining show without an iota of ego.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom