OT: - Sports Memorabilia | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Sports Memorabilia

Reaction Score
My coolest piece? My Dad was a Sox fan, we went to a game in 1975. In traffic on the way home, we were at a stoplight and Luis Tiant was in the car next to us. Gold Cadillac. He was puffing on a cigar. My Dad rolled down the window and asked if he could get an autograph for me. My uncle (in the passenger seat) was rifling through the glove compartment looking for something to sign and the light turned green.

Tiant reached down, grabbed a baseball and tossed it into my Dad's driver side window. Then he drove off. The ball is signed by the entire 1975 team. Yaz, Lynn, Rice, Evans, Fisk. All of them. I don't display it because it's signed in blue ball point pen and I keep it in a wooden box out of the light. Don't really know what I'll ever do with it, but I think it's pretty cool to have.

Reaction Score
I have a framed piece/snippet from one of the ‘99 National Championship nets.

If you can share, how did you get that? That's a pretty special and hard to get item. If it's a personal story that you can't share, I get it.

Reaction Score
It stinks, but it's also fitting considering the timing of this thread... my parents had a baseball with Hank Aaron's autograph, but they didn't know that the signature would fade over time if the ball is improperly cared for. I remember it as a kid, it was pretty faded then. Now, I don't think you can tell he ever signed it.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I’ve got bats signed by Ted Williams, Yaz, and Jim Rice, and a Jim Lonborg autographed photo. Also a Larry Bird signed ball.

But

I think the coolest piece of ‘sports’ memorabilia I have is a Charlestown Chiefs jersey signed by the Hanson brothers. Too bad it doesn’t have Paul Newman’s signature.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Are they graded? Sounds like a 100k set.
I have a Jordan rookie along with most other cards from this and the 3-4 years following also. I want to get some of the more valuable ones that I've had in plastic cases graded but when I do a search, they say "send it to us" and there's no way I'm letting them, especially the Jordan rookie, out of my sight.

Reaction Score
I have a huge collection. Picked collecting back up since last doing it in early 70s with my sons 20 years ago. Two of my coolest things...an Abe Lincoln auto and a framed Ty Cobb and Honus Wagner dual auto card.

78088.jpeg
78089.jpeg

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
This will kind of give you a feel for what I am dealing with.
What;s interesting is when you bought a pack it was always the same 1-11, 12-23, etc. cards sets plus a sticker.
Always alphabetical. The only random in that was the sticker you got. So on my way to building the set I ended up with 2, 3, 4 of the same cards for a lot of players. Hence why I have the 3 Jordans.

When I went to high school I brought it in to show some friends and they freeked out. This was like 1991. Told me to put that set away and that it was "worth a lot".
Well here we are now and I'm sitting on a treasure.
12 year old ElGuapo did well on that one in harrassing my poor mom to keep buying cards for him at XTRA-MART and Cumberland Farms in Plainville. It was so under the radar of a set at the time no one was gobbling them up.
Wish I could say the same about all of the baseball cards I have from the time.

1612440833129.png

1612441010651.png

Reaction Score
Besides the trove of UConn stuff I have a cocktail napkin signed by John Havlicek. Met him at a bar after a charity softball game on the Cape circa 1980. Really nice regular guy. The other side is signed by Henry Finkel.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
And then on the UConn side there this this old gem.
Husky Hoops the board game.

My High School Marketing teacher, Steve Slomski, was an avid fan and did the research to create this game.
Crazy thing is it was only early history through the 1992(?) season right up until the success tidal wave hit.

He did well at the time selling them but had stacks of them in his basement so he gave them to us students as gifts. I was a newer fan at the time so that was cool.

The image below is not mine though. I'd have to go to my mother's house to liberate it.

Anyone else have one?

1612443399132.png

Reaction Score
I have 3 Michael Jordan rookie cards.
One of them goes in the complete set. I also have a complete set of the stickers.
All of these too and tons of extras from the whole 86/87 set.
I have the same - plus many older football, hockey snd baseball cards. Every UConn poster from about 1988. Multiple copies of all the UConn card sets handed out at games. Ticket stubs from the 60's for Mets, FB and Hockey programs and yearbooks from the 60's, a lot of autographed UConn stuff - and much more.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I wasn't even thinking of all the non-signed stuff. My Mom framed the cover page from the Courant's special section about the 89-90 team. Johnny Gwinn cutting the nets

Attachments

• image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 68
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    46.8 KB · Views: 65

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics