South Carolina vs Louisville | Page 3 | The Boneyard

South Carolina vs Louisville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Congrats to the South Carolina fans on this board. I was very impressed with your team. I agree with the poster that Louisville gave up. I saw no fight in them in the 2nd half. I think they will do better against Maryland at home.

Reaction Score
I agree, plus Louisville's shooting was terrible- (23-60)38% for 2's and 6-18)33% for 3's.

USC was better on 2's (27-60) 45%, but, worse on 3's (5-17) 29%.

The big difference was on the foul line--7-10 for Louisville and 24-31 for USC.

The Louisville front line could not score against Baylor.

When did Louisville play Baylor? Did you mean the men?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I thought a lot more of the Boston and NYC gamecocks would come down. We have a sizeable alumni presence in both areas, especially NYC.. and with the men's game being yesterday, which I also attended.

I live outside Hartford, barely an hour from Springfield so I was lucky... had a great time. I hope we play up here more now that I'm based in the New England..

Are you going to the Seton Hall game next month at MSG?

Yes, I'll be there. It takes very little excuse for me to get to New York and USC basketball is a great reason. If we're still undefeated at that point, don't be surprised if we have as many fans there as SH; they have a very small fan base.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Congrats to the South Carolina fans on this board. I was very impressed with your team. I agree with the poster that Louisville gave up. I saw no fight in them in the 2nd half. I think they will do better against Maryland at home.

Thank you; my brother, s-i-l and 1 nephew all graduated from Maryland and I've been to several games at Cole and Byrd. I haven't been to any at Comcast.

Reaction Score
I thought Carolina looked vulnerable in the first half, but ultimately the front court doesn't get smaller or less dominant over the course of the game and a team has to continue making shots from outside.

After having struggled with Syracuse the last couple of years, I think that sort of squad could still be a problem for USC - though I do think having two guards who can hit shots plus what looks like improvement in Cuevas's shooting makes USC a little better prepared.

I think USC's biggest issue would be a game where Alaina Coates got into early foul trouble and could not impact the game. USC would get smaller and a lot less dominant in the interior quickly. And I think Wilson is probably a player that is easier to contain all things considered as you can certainly goad her into taking tough shots out of double teams.

On the other hand, if you force USC small for long periods of time, Kaela Davis becomes weaponized as Ohio State found out.

Will be interesting. This team is much more talented than it was last season. I just want them to get to the showcase games at the end rather than get knocked out by a cold night against a zone team.

I want to see them match up again with Notre Dame/Baylor/UConn and see how it goes.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I must have missed the Cardinals good portion of the game. When I turned the game on they were down by about 3 and about 10 or 12 minutes later they were down by around 20. They looked bad and S.C. looked great. UCONN will have their hands full with S.C.

They played decent in the 1st quarter and then Dawn switched defenses and also played our best defensive players. At a number of junctions we only had 1 or 2 starters playing. I think I saw us in a box and 1 for a period of time and that was all she wrote for the Cards.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I thought Carolina looked vulnerable in the first half, but ultimately the front court doesn't get smaller or less dominant over the course of the game and a team has to continue making shots from outside.

After having struggled with Syracuse the last couple of years, I think that sort of squad could still be a problem for USC - though I do think having two guards who can hit shots plus what looks like improvement in Cuevas's shooting makes USC a little better prepared.

I think USC's biggest issue would be a game where Alaina Coates got into early foul trouble and could not impact the game. USC would get smaller and a lot less dominant in the interior quickly. And I think Wilson is probably a player that is easier to contain all things considered as you can certainly goad her into taking tough shots out of double teams.

On the other hand, if you force USC small for long periods of time, Kaela Davis becomes weaponized as Ohio State found out.

Will be interesting. This team is much more talented than it was last season. I just want them to get to the showcase games at the end rather than get knocked out by a cold night against a zone team.

I want to see them match up again with Notre Dame/Baylor/UConn and see how it goes.

We won't be nearly as vulnerable to zones this season as we were last season. We have so many more players that can shoot from the outside this season that it would be hard for all of them to go cold.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I noticed that Cuevas is now Cuevas-Moore. Did she get married in the off-season? Doesn't matter an iota, just curious.

Reaction Score
Very impressed with SC. Wilson and Coates can be dominant, Davis and Gray are HUGE additions. Still not sold at all on Cuevas. Questionable shot and turnover prone still. FF team no doubt.

Reaction Score
If this game is an annual event, they need to rethink it, or put it in a place where the audience has a pulse.

If they want the stands packed AND keep it near the HOF, they need to:
  • Make it a UConn game;
  • Make the opponent a nearby team (Syracuse, Rutgers, maybe an Ivy League team...)
  • Ensure that the schools include tix in the season ticket holder package for both teams.
Face it; UConn has the top fan base in the country over the past couple of decades. We'll put several thousand into that arena, and schools like Syracuse, RU, Princeton, Harvard...they'd put another couple in there at least. Add in the locals and you have your 9k.

BUT...that would make it another National Showcase for UConn, which would annoy the Haters. SO...IMO, you can either make this successful WITH UConn, or what it is today, without. It seems foolish to have this game 30 miles away from THE perennial power in WCBB and not take advantage of the proximity. That is, unless you don't care about attendance.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Better yet, don't have it in Springfield; it's dead here. Hindsight is 20/20. I should have driven back to NYC after the game.

Reaction Score
When did Louisville play Baylor? Did you mean the men?
Sorry, thanks for noticing my mistake, I was quoting the statistics of today's USC vs LOUISVILLE game. I tried to edit it in the original post, but it was too late.

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
itsasport: I'm sensing a little emptiness in your post.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I just checked into my hotel after the game. It was probably the best I've seen the Gamecocks play, but the crowd was thoroughly disappointing. A UCONN fan was sitting next to me. I thought we would have a lot more fans there after we had about a thousand at the men's game vs. Syracuse in Brooklyn yesterday. We play at Texas next, so I hope we play as well.
You won't have to play as well to beat Texas.

Reaction Score
itsasport: I'm sensing a little emptiness in your post.
Perhaps it the after-effects of too much vino; but, I can't tell if that was a joke, insult or a simple comment--all of which are willingly accepted, so please explain

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I cannot imagine a worse location/day to have a big game where you want people driving to it. Springfield is down to a single lane in both directions on 91. It is the highest traffic day of the year - last place I am heading is Springfield.
I disagree... if you in the area and you let traffic stop you thats your business. I came from Hartford to watch the game, parked in a open lot ($10.00) across the street from the arena... no problems except leaving due to not being familiar with the area but my GPS on my phone definitely helped.
And I may not go see UConn vs TNCha Tuesday and I'm in walking distance (since I'm not working I may go tho because its a rare chance to watch them in person)

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
You won't have to play as well to beat Texas.

Texas has been quite disappointing, so far, but they could put it together at any time. As long as Alaina Coates keeps playing on fire, we're not losing.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I disagree... if you in the area and you let traffic stop you thats your business. I came from Hartford to watch the game, parked in a open lot ($10.00) across the street from the arena... no problems except leaving due to not being familiar with the area but my GPS on my phone definitely helped.
And I may not go see UConn vs TNCha Tuesday and I'm in walking distance (since I'm not working I may go tho because its a rare chance to watch them in person)

I didn't encounter much traffic except a little around Hartford. There was some construction in Springfield, but traffic wasn't that bad.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
That occurred to me. A la KML. A men's player at UCLA years ago did that, too.
they said the media cut off the Moore part, she didn't complained but this season decided that she wanted to make it an effort that everyone said it correctly

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I didn't encounter much traffic except a little around Hartford. There was some construction in Springfield, but traffic wasn't that bad.
I'm sure if it was a bigger crowd there would have been more gridlock but it wasn't bad. I don't normally far in parts unknown but it was a Sunday early afternoon and I knew I could handle it. That downpour of rain was a surprise for a moment tho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom