OT: - Songs that reference historical events | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Songs that reference historical events

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
These guys actually do a lot of songs about events (historical??). In this instance a real person anyway.

John Mooring was a pretty popular fiddler player in Canada back in the 60's. Won some competitions, put out quite a few records. Anyway he was killed after one of his shows, for "flirting" with a girl in the audience. (supposedly anyway)

Death of Johnny Mooring - Enter the Haggis

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Great topic, Ozi! I was literally going to start a thread like this when the music threads died down a little.

The Michael, Andrew, and James of this song were Schwerner, Goodman, and Chaney, the civil-rights workers who went down to Mississippi to register blacks to vote. This is a song whose dark music goes well with the dark lyrics.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'd remembered this one being entirely about Idi Amin, but the Mighty Sparrow cites many late-70's dictators in it. I haven't heard it in 40 years, but I may just have to go out and get the album.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This is about the Battle of Culloden, which was one of the uprisings after England and Scotland were united. Deanta were a Norn Iron group who were only together for a few years; I think they all (or most) had day jobs. They made three albums, all of which are wonderful if you like that style of music.

Reaction Score
You get a like for MSB. Saw them open for Foreigner way back in the day. :D
Well, much appreciated..sure beats a big red anti-like because its The Michael Stanley Band.:p
I have a couple of their albums and they're in rotation on the iPod.
Also, I have a couple CDs from the Cherry Poppin' Daddies and had heard about that particular song, but had forgotten.
Pretty sure they were a bunch of folks out of Eugene, OR... Univ of Oregon??

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom