OT: - Songs that reference historical events | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Songs that reference historical events

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Irish band Simple Minds chronicles Ireland’s bloody history with their single ‘Belfast Child.’ Though Ireland was a united country until 1920, due to religious differences playing a significant role in the country’s political makeup, Ireland’s government decided to split the country in two. Guerilla warfare between parties such as the IRA and the British government controlling Northern Ireland commenced over the next several decades. ‘Belfast Child’ grapples with the personal tragedies experienced by the people of Ireland during these times.

Reaction Score
Irish famine immigrants fighting for the Union in the American Civil War. (The experience of my paternal great-grandfather, who fought with New York's Irish Brigade.)

Reaction Score
From American Songwriter website

Evermore” is even more directly inspired by the fifteenth and sixteenth century Anglo-Scottish wars, mostly fought along the border of the two countries, which Plant had been reading about prior to writing the lyrics.

Reaction Score
From the History Channel website:

The anthem’s history began the morning of September 14, 1814, when an attorney and amateur poet named Francis Scott Key watched U.S. soldiers—who were under bombardment from British naval forces during the War of 1812—raise a large American flag over Fort McHenry in Baltimore, Maryland.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Coal mine disaster in West Virginia, 1910
MSB - Fire In The Hole -

You get a like for MSB. Saw them open for Foreigner way back in the day. :D

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
About a now ghost town, Calico, CA. Was a silver mining town back in the Silver rushes. King Mining Co. produced the most silver in CA during the 1880's.

Ghosts of Calico - Enter the Haggis

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom