Some thoughts on Azzi | The Boneyard

Some thoughts on Azzi

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In 2019 Azzi Fudd won the Gatorade POY Award, the first sophomore ever to do so. Azzi won that award over some pretty formidable competition, including Haley Jones, Aliyah Boston and her BFF, Paige Bueckers. But from that point on, we've seen very little of Azzi, the result of a long rehab from a devastating pair of injuries (torn ACL & MCL) and a general shutdown of basketball during the pandemic. We did see some workout videos with Azzi & Paige, a 3-pt shooting exhibition while wearing a boot and a handful of highlight vides from games this spring, when HS games slowly emerged from the pandemic on a very limited basis. Add in the uncertainty we all felt when it was reported that Azzi was still nursing a foot injury during summer workouts at UConn, and we just didn't know whether or not Azzi was the player we all hoped she would be when she announced her intention to matriculate to Storrs.

Fast forward to the FIBA U-19 World Championships, 7 games over 2 weeks against top international competition. The U19's gave all of us the first sustained look at Azzi's game in over two years. Here are some of thoughts on what I witnessed:
  • Azzi appears to be completely healthy and in great shape. She moved very well throughout the tournament, never giving any indication of a lingering injury issue.
  • Azzi was always a great shooter and she still is. Her 52% from the arc lead all players in the tournament.
  • Azzi is a complete player. She dug in to play tough defense, ran the offense at times, set up her teammates and rebounded.
  • Azzi will compete for a starting spot at UConn this coming season. We all know that Geno is looking for more than the ability to score from any freshman before they earn a starting spot or significant PT. So Azzi has to check off several boxes if she expects to start at UConn. She has to work hard - Check! She has to play tough defense - Check! She has to share the ball - Check! She has to be a good teammate - Check!
  • If there is any negative at all it is the same issue as Paige had when she showed up at UConn. We want to see Azzi be more aggressive when she has the ball, both attacking the basket and getting to her spot on the floor for her deadly mid-range jumper. I have no doubt that message will be conveyed to her by Geno.
In short, after much uncertainty about the status of Azzi's game and health, UConn fans should be thoroughly delighted at what we witnessed during the U19's. Just 3 more months until the season tips off.........

Reaction Score
Oldude, great analysis. A datapoint on her lack of aggressiveness is that she never went to the line during the tournament. And in the final game, with her mid-range shot not falling, it would have been good to go to the line a few times.

Reaction Score
In 2019 Azzi Fudd won the Gatorade POY Award, the first sophomore ever to do so. Azzi won that award over some pretty formidable competition, including Haley Jones, Aliyah Boston and her BFF, Paige Bueckers. But from that point on, we've seen very little of Azzi, the result of a long rehab from a devastating pair of injuries (torn ACL & MCL) and a general shutdown of basketball during the pandemic. We did see some workout videos with Azzi & Paige, a 3-pt shooting exhibition while wearing a boot and a handful of highlight vides from games this spring, when HS games slowly emerged from the pandemic on a very limited basis. Add in the uncertainty we all felt when it was reported that Azzi was still nursing a foot injury during summer workouts at UConn, and we just didn't know whether or not Azzi was the player we all hoped she would be when she announced her intention to matriculate to Storrs.

Fast forward to the FIBA U-19 World Championships, 7 games over 2 weeks against top international competition. The U19's gave all of us the first sustained look at Azzi's game in over two years. Here are some of thoughts on what I witnessed:
  • Azzi appears to be completely healthy and in great shape. She moved very well throughout the tournament, never giving any indication of a lingering injury issue.
  • Azzi was always a great shooter and she still is. Her 52% from the arc lead all players in the tournament.
  • Azzi is a complete player. She dug in to play tough defense, ran the offense at times, set up her teammates and rebounded.
  • Azzi will compete for a starting spot at UConn this coming season. We all know that Geno is looking for more than the ability to score from any freshman before they earn a starting spot or significant PT. So Azzi has to check off several boxes if she expects to start at UConn. She has to work hard - Check! She has to play tough defense - Check! She has to share the ball - Check! She has to be a good teammate - Check!
  • If there is any negative at all it is the same issue as Paige had when she showed up at UConn. We want to see Azzi be more aggressive when she has the ball, both attacking the basket and getting to her spot on the floor for her deadly mid-range jumper. I have no doubt that message will be conveyed to her by Geno.
In short, after much uncertainty about the status of Azzi's game and health, UConn fans should be thoroughly delighted at what we witnessed during the U19's. Just 3 more months until the season tips off.........
This post might have been entitled "Doubts About Azzi." She just completed a gold-medal winning tournament and did NOT score the most points, did NOT hit a key basket, did NOT win the MVP. She actually missed about half her attempts and turned the ball over several times. She hung out on the outside, rarely entering the fray with abandon. That's why oldude wants her to be more "aggressive." For what purpose? So the US wins by 40 points instead of just 25?
If someone had asked Azzi what her goals were for this tournament, maybe we could say definitively if it was or was not a success. If winning is the ultimate measure, the effort was a success. If receiving accolades is the measure, maybe not a success. Who can say?
Caitlin was scraped off the floor several times. She could easily have hurt herself and doomed Iowa to complete mediocrity. Her talent is undeniable, but her judgement seems less commendable. (I thought Betts was the MVP, by the way.)
Coming back healthy and having had some playing time and winning gold: ENOUGH.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Hey, now that the USA U-19 team is probably back (or on a plane back) from Hungary, I don't have a uniform to root for in this discussion.

Think @oldude set the overall scenario well and @Glenn brought up a stat that I wouldn't have expected to see. That said, Azzi's main move inside the arc was the drive to the pull-up elbow jumper (whereas Citron would keep going into traffic to draw the foul.) That said, Sonia is 6'1" and a wing. And Azzi has that sweet stroke from outside.

I'll get back to an observation and comment I made on another thread: when the going got tough, Azzi was in the game. She and Citron played virtually the same amount of time in yesterday's final -- just under 32 minutes. They're team players on both offense and defense who keep their respective cool(s). You can bet coaches Geno and Niele noticed that.

Reaction Score
I'm really glad shevdid this tournament with high level competition and teammates. Yes she has been rehabbing and not in real game situations for a while due to covid too. There is such a big difference between practices and playing live pressure point action. I'm glad she got her feet wet in this tournament.

In reality, she was playing for an audience of 1 and he values all the things she did well over scoring.... I would say she was pretty smart focusing on all the little things and being a good teammate if she is gunning for playing time come November.

Reaction Score
In reality, she was playing for an audience of 1 and he values all the things she did well over scoring.... I would say she was pretty smart focusing on all the little things and being a good teammate if she is gunning for playing time come November.

Had to be repeated!

Reaction Score

Oh, you mean the sky really isn't falling?

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I'm really glad shevdid this tournament with high level competition and teammates. Yes she has been rehabbing and not in real game situations for a while due to covid too. There is such a big difference between practices and playing live pressure point action. I'm glad she got her feet wet in this tournament.

Judging by how “the audience 1” was constantly on Paige to shoot more last year, he could not like how little she shot. Azzi is in the small group of arguably the best shooters in America. If she gets a little dose of selfish, I for one would be ok with that.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One additional thought on Azzi. After basically being “on the shelf” for two seasons, I have no doubt Azzi’s motivation to make up for lost time is off the charts. “We don’t teach effort at UConn.” That probably goes double for Azzi.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Azzi will be just fine. The girl can play, no doubt.

Though the international experience is great, the UConn experience will more difficult and much richer. Cori Close is a good coach but she is no Geno. And there lies the difference in the experience Azzi will get.

She will be practicing and playing with the same players and every day. Players that will push her everyday to excel. She will be working within a system that can be difficult to master. But one her talents are really suited for.

Relax. The real fun will be here soon enough.

Reaction Score
After a month of indoctrination in Storrs, learning about the UConn way of playing, Fudd played in a tournament in which her all-star team was so dominant that they could win playing playground basketball. And they did. Fudd was playing wing on the weakside on offense for the most part and she might as well have been in the stands for all the times she touched the ball. On the few possessions where Fudd did have the ball at the top of the key her team mates turned into statues, expecting her to use her ball skills to create for herself. She could have just taken a shot with her defender in her face like some of her team mates but she was trying to run offense and just passed it. With most everyone else on a solo mission she was largely ineffective.

I wonder also whether Fudd is experiencing some concern about contact reinjuring her. That is a common psychological issue for players returning from ACL injuries.

HGN

Reaction Score
After a month of indoctrination in Storrs, learning about the UConn way of playing, Fudd played in a tournament in which her all-star team was so dominant that they could win playing playground basketball. And they did. Fudd was playing wing on the weakside on offense for the most part and she might as well have been in the stands for all the times she touched the ball. On the few possessions where Fudd did have the ball at the top of the key her team mates turned into statues, expecting her to use her ball skills to create for herself. She could have just taken a shot with her defender in her face like some of her team mates but she was trying to run offense and just passed it. With most everyone else on a solo mission she was largely ineffective.

I wonder also whether Fudd is experiencing some concern about contact reinjuring her. That is a common psychological issue for players returning from ACL injuries.
Alydar, my thought exactly......I think she was a little concerned about the knee in trying to drive into the paint. It will take some time to get her confidence back where she will drive in without any worry. Psychologically it had to be a concern or worry.

Reaction Score
Alydar, my thought exactly......I think she was a little concerned about the knee in trying to drive into the paint. It will take some time to get her confidence back where she will drive in without any worry. Psychologically it had to be a concern or worry.
She won’t need to drive into the paint next season; Nika and Paige will want her on the arc waiting for a pass when they drive into the paint. If one has a 60 per cent shooter from the arc, a drive in traffic seems pointless.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
It appears Azzi is back, she has survived early summer classes and practice at UCONN and U19 ball. I agree with all the above points and share in the it appears Azzi is healthy and ready to kick butt as a Husky mantra. We will get all the physical talents that a healthy Azzi brings to the game while seeing her game return to super status as she sheds what rust and post injury hesitation that lingers. Just as or what is more important is the mental aspect that she will bring to the game. She will be at the right place on the floor, she will make the right read, the right pass, be in the correct position almost every time. She like Paige is a true floor general. She will play under control, she will make her team mates better, she will make our Huskies better, much better!. She is ours and we are blessed to have her. It's time, I'm ready, Play Ball.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Judging by how “the audience 1” was constantly on Paige to shoot more last year, he could not like how little she shot. Azzi is in the small group of arguably the best shooters in America. If she gets a little dose of selfish, I for one would be ok with that.
Paige will take care of that.

Reaction Score
Oldude was spot on as usual, but I have some additional thoughts. It seemed to me like Azzi could have created a mid-range jumper for herself whenever she wanted, but chose to be a consummate team player. In that role she was successful and displayed a more well rounded game than her reputation as a great shooter might suggest.

I don't think there is much need for her to play point guard on this team with Paige, Nika and even Evina, but this tournament convinced me she could be very good there if needed. Defense and overall court awareness was there too. Rebounding OK but nothing special so I think if Evina is in the game as one of the wings, she should probably be the 3 and Christyn or Azzi the 2.

By showing multiple skills, basketball IQ and unselfishness Azzi makes it clear that she should assimilate quickly in a significant role, be it starter or significant minutes off the bench.

Reaction Score
One important point should NOT be forgotten: the Coach and his staff have seen everything that Azzi could do and did at a very young age. They are going to do everything they can to grow all those qualities and playing her plenty of minutes is the best way to get it done. What's more, many minutes with the experienced group on the team would be essential because they are counting on her to add firepower where they lacked last year. He will also be on her - as he did with many others including Napheesa, Christyn and Paige among the latest - about defense. So, watch the Coach insert her into different lineup combinations until he finds the optimum for his "death lineup" that includes Azzi and then play them more minutes as the tournaments approach towards the end of the season.

No sense having one of the gold standards in shooting the basketball (men and women alike) on your team and not polish it to shine, just as he did with someone called Paige Buckets®️ last year. If you think he is not going to unleash his deepest team of talented youngsters to make it bad for women's basketball again, you should think again.

Go Coach!! Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
I missed the last two games. This had to do with ESPN? Just pile on more stuff why I dislike them. A lot.

Not worried about Azzi- not one bit unless Geno is.
As a fan, have to admit I was a little disappointed. She's a shot-maker and didn't hit shots to the degree as a selfish fan I had hoped for.

She took twenty shots over the last two games in 52 minutes. It's not like she didn't want to shoot - so the passive comments I'm reading - not that big of a deal (don't think anyone is making it a big deal either - or maybe a rare one is). Would have loved to see the type of shots/ where defender was positioned while guarding Azzi when Azzi missed.

If she isn't hitting shots (6-20) and she isn't a one-on-one player, and her team is generally crushing their opponent, why should she be aggressive and keep hoisting up more shots?

She can't be that aggressive in games like this unless her teammates actively look for her. Azzi is not an isolation player. Most of the great UCONN players are not that. With the competition being so lousy in this Tourney she just isn't going to get that many looks. Too many other star players are also there to showcase their talents too. They aren't there "to feed Azzi."

What I see is a guard that is physically strong. She won't get bumped off the ball while dribbling - so she can get to her spots if opposing team gets over-zealous or if guards just aren't physically strong. Don't see other teams being physical with her having an effect. More the type of teams that will have tall, quick athletes, and/or extremely uber-quick guards that can stay in front of her.

Reaction Score
Azzi is not going to start.

I dont understand why UConn fans are so obsessed with the concept of "starting" as if it's correlated with "best". Every metric from Geno over 35 years has shown he does not think that way.

If you want to say "she will compete to be considered the 'best 5'," then yes I'd agree. And best 5 typically means who is on the floor at crunch time in close games. Yeah I expect she will be there. But starting, barring injuries to others? No. No. No.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom