Some thoughts on Azzi | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Some thoughts on Azzi

Reaction Score
She should have her banner hanging from the UConn Hall of Fame Wall before she starts her 1st game. Thats how good she is!

Reaction Score
Geno should manage her minutes, trying to protect her knee - given her injury history. No need for her to be playing more than 20 minutes a game, especially with this loaded team. I doubt she starts, but she should be playing in the final 5 minutes in close games.

Reaction Score
Geno should manage her minutes, trying to protect her knee - given her injury history. No need for her to be playing more than 20 minutes a game, especially with this loaded team. I doubt she starts, but she should be playing in the final 5 minutes in close games.

What exactly is her history? Yes. I know she tore her ACL/MCL. Then was in a boot recently. Am I missing something?

Reaction Score
Interesting assessment of Close. Got me to thinking that, other than Tara, the Pac12 has produced a number of coaches projected to be the “next great WBB coach” who could not build on their earlier success to win the Big Dance. Mike Neighbors, Scott Rueck and even Kelly Graves this past season all got to the FF once, and then fell back to the pack. Of course Close never got that far.

I’ll be curious to see if Adia Barnes can build on this past year’s success at AZ, or fall back to the pack like the majority of her contemporaries in the Pac-12.
as Geno readily admits, a coach is only as good as his/her players.........Rueck has proven he can do good things with fair talent........Graves hasn't proven much yet other than that he is an excellent recruiter and a decent coach.......

Reaction Score
I have a definite opinion on two specific issues that have been raised in this thread, even though I agree with the main consensus of the thread.
  1. I don't agree that Azzi will have to be more selfish, or that Geno will want her to be more selfish, to contribute as much as she can to UConn's success. Nothing in the U19 tourney suggests to me that Azzi is shy about taking an open shot from any range, and I think that is what Geno will expect of her. If her jump shot is as good as we all expect, opponents will make sure that they defend her even if it stretches their defense, and that is when she will get opportunities to pass or drive. She showed in the U19's that she can pass. If she isn't able to drive past an opponent who is tightly guarding her 20 feet from the basket, or make a backdoor cut to get past that opponent, that is a weakness in her game that will need to be fixed, but just because she didn't do it in the U19's doesn't mean that it isn't in her repertoire. I don't remember seeing any backdoor plays from the USA offense in the U19 tournament, by anyone.
  2. Some have suggested that Azzi may start if Geno decides to go with a 4-guard offense as he has for the past several years. I don't think Geno will do that again this year, for a number of reasons: (a) He hasn't won an NC since the last time he played a 2-big offense in 2015-26; (b) the teams in UConn's peer group this year (especially South Carolina and Stanford) are massively big teams in terms of height, and UConn will be at a disadvantage if it is not accustomed to playing with similar height most of the time; and, most important, (c) the 2021-22 roster only has four true guards (five if you count Evina) and nine front court players. The depth of this team is in the front court, and it makes sense to play two at a time (at least) to take advantage of that depth.
I think Geno got Dorka and built this roster because he recognizes that the teams since 2016 have simply not been big enough (and deep enough at the front court positions) to compete with other top teams at those positions. Having gone to a lot of trouble to acquire that depth of talent in the front court, I expect Geno to use the flexibility that this roster affords him.
Excellent analysis but I still disagree about the starting team. Who sits so another big can start? Not Evina, CW, Paige or Ono so it has to be Nika but he has said how much he likes the team with Nika at the point. She is also a great point defender.

I think last year's team starts mostly with an occasional start of another big when necessary but he can always spell E with a big as well with the first or second substitution. I also think that E will be a different player this year with the extra year of strength in her knee.

I agree about the 2015-2016 to present "drought" and I was one of the ones that talked about the lack of power as being a factor, but did we really not make the Finals for that reason alone? We have not played well period in a National Semis game in the last 4 games and left ourselves open to being beat. There's more to it I believe now. They just have not been ready. Geno has acknowledged that. They were tight and playing not to lose. This year will be different.

Reaction Score
I agree about the 2015-2016 to present "drought" and I was one of the ones that talked about the lack of power as being a factor, but did we really not make the Finals for that reason alone? We have not played well period in a National Semis game in the last 4 games and left ourselves open to being beat. There's more to it I believe now. They just have not been ready. Geno has acknowledged that. They were tight and playing not to lose. This year will be different.

IMO we haven't played well not because of just size/power but because of balance. In 16-17 and 17-18 - a bit sacrilege on here to criticize Nurse (and Danger as well)- but they didn't play well those 2 years in the FF. Also, we speak of Nurse as "lockdown" yet UCONN couldn't stop ND's perimeter in 17-18. Arike and Jackie scored 59 points. You can't rely on "lockdown" alone. Which is why this year's team fell short. Our starting center was a terrific defender but that's it. She scored 4 points combined in E8 and FF. In 16-17 Nurse and Danger got a combined 7 points in 52 minutes, with 3 rebounds and had just 2 assists vs 5 turnovers. You have to do better unless your built to play grind basketball.

Thy need balance. Just putting players in because they're tall with an expectation of just playing them in order to "match up" won't change anything. The game is so much more than "low post power/size."

Reaction Score
In 2019 Azzi Fudd won the Gatorade POY Award, the first sophomore ever to do so. Azzi won that award over some pretty formidable competition, including Haley Jones, Aliyah Boston and her BFF, Paige Bueckers. But from that point on, we've seen very little of Azzi, the result of a long rehab from a devastating pair of injuries (torn ACL & MCL) and a general shutdown of basketball during the pandemic. We did see some workout videos with Azzi & Paige, a 3-pt shooting exhibition while wearing a boot and a handful of highlight vides from games this spring, when HS games slowly emerged from the pandemic on a very limited basis. Add in the uncertainty we all felt when it was reported that Azzi was still nursing a foot injury during summer workouts at UConn, and we just didn't know whether or not Azzi was the player we all hoped she would be when she announced her intention to matriculate to Storrs.

Fast forward to the FIBA U-19 World Championships, 7 games over 2 weeks against top international competition. The U19's gave all of us the first sustained look at Azzi's game in over two years. Here are some of thoughts on what I witnessed:
  • Azzi appears to be completely healthy and in great shape. She moved very well throughout the tournament, never giving any indication of a lingering injury issue.
  • Azzi was always a great shooter and she still is. Her 52% from the arc lead all players in the tournament.
  • Azzi is a complete player. She dug in to play tough defense, ran the offense at times, set up her teammates and rebounded.
  • Azzi will compete for a starting spot at UConn this coming season. We all know that Geno is looking for more than the ability to score from any freshman before they earn a starting spot or significant PT. So Azzi has to check off several boxes if she expects to start at UConn. She has to work hard - Check! She has to play tough defense - Check! She has to share the ball - Check! She has to be a good teammate - Check!
  • If there is any negative at all it is the same issue as Paige had when she showed up at UConn. We want to see Azzi be more aggressive when she has the ball, both attacking the basket and getting to her spot on the floor for her deadly mid-range jumper. I have no doubt that message will be conveyed to her by Geno.
In short, after much uncertainty about the status of Azzi's game and health, UConn fans should be thoroughly delighted at what we witnessed during the U19's. Just 3 more months until the season tips off.........
I thought otherwise. Jennifer's namesake was extremely passive on offense and made away too many bad passes and turnovers.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I thought otherwise. Jennifer's namesake was extremely passive on offense and made away too many bad passes and turnovers.
A number of us wanted to see Azzi be a little more agressive on offense. With that said, Azzi lead the entire tournament in 3-pt shooting at 52%.

As for your assessment of Azzi’s passing, what tournament were you watching? Azzi had 27 assists against 7 turnovers, leading everyone in the tournament with an A/TO ratio of 3.9. To put that in context, the NPOY, Paige had an A/TO ratio of only 2.3 this past season.

Now seriously, did you actually watch the U19 tournament?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think some folks have forgotten or don't know what a full strength Azzi Fudd game looks like........you don't become a multiple player of the year for no reason....

Just to point out, Azzi's junior season came AFTER her knee injury, surgery, and rehab.

Here's Azzi as a sophomore in the D.C. City Championship game. Her 38 points remains the arena record (the Mystics play there).

Reaction Score
This post might have been entitled "Doubts About Azzi." She just completed a gold-medal winning tournament and did NOT score the most points, did NOT hit a key basket, did NOT win the MVP. She actually missed about half her attempts and turned the ball over several times. She hung out on the outside, rarely entering the fray with abandon. That's why oldude wants her to be more "aggressive." For what purpose? So the US wins by 40 points instead of just 25?
If someone had asked Azzi what her goals were for this tournament, maybe we could say definitively if it was or was not a success. If winning is the ultimate measure, the effort was a success. If receiving accolades is the measure, maybe not a success. Who can say?
Caitlin was scraped off the floor several times. She could easily have hurt herself and doomed Iowa to complete mediocrity. Her talent is undeniable, but her judgement seems less commendable. (I thought Betts was the MVP, by the way.)
Coming back healthy and having had some playing time and winning gold: ENOUGH.
Exactly...and I'm sure Geno agree

Reaction Score
Yes it would be a fascinating matchup. One I think we may see for periods of the game. I am most interested to see which coach uses his players in what match ups or which coach puts out their players and in effect says this is our best this is the way we play, beat us if you can. From recent experience Dawn has had a we have the power this is how we play mentality power is our game. This year I expect that to continue however knowing that she has an exceptionally quick point and 2-3 new players who could change the way SC plays the game. I wait with anticipation and interest to see which coach controls the tempo, dictates style and pace, while watching our Husky's execute and fill the roles Geno puts them in. A big one for sure, our biggest rivalry in many ways. I can't wait for what I hope becomes a sloberknocker of a game. :cool:.
It's not the first match up with South Carolina, it's the SECOND one, predictably
in the NCAAs (or , I think, the second one in the out of conference play, assuming
somehow that UCONN and So.Carolina do not meet in the BATTLE 4 Atlantis final.

Reaction Score
One thing I noticed in the FIBA U-19 World Championships was often when the team went back onto the floor after a time out Close would stop Azzi and say something just to her before she returned to the court. That was likely just whet she wanted to happen in the next set because Azzi would get it done. Just remember it never matters who starts a game (remember that on any senior night) it just matters who is on the floor to finish to big close games. It will never matter what we think a player should be doing as long as it is exactly what the coach wants to happen.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
On another note I wondered what happened to the "horn" Azzi's dad was using early in the tourney. It seemed to go away - thankfully!
Mr Fudd must read the BY……..

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
On another note I wondered what happened to the "horn" Azzi's dad was using early in the tourney. It seemed to go away - thankfully!
Guessing word got out that UConn fans may not appreciate that stuff and just let it fade away.

Reaction Score
as Geno readily admits, a coach is only as good as his/her players.........Rueck has proven he can do good things with fair talent........Graves hasn't proven much yet other than that he is an excellent recruiter and a decent coach.......
I have a different opinion of Rueck. I don't think he likes to adjust the play with the talent he has, Give him a talented 6ft-7" post with a excellant point guard and his half court system excels. So if half court sets is what you like then that is your school of choice. I think that is one why Sasha Goforth parted ways and Destiny Slocum eventually moved on. Have court style...ughhh.

Reaction Score
Cori Close is a mediocre coach at best because despite having #1 overall recruiting classes she has failed to ever reach a final four. A trip (or even several) to Storrs to watch Geno conduct practices does not qualify her to be a very good coach any more than it does me. Coaching this U19 team is not a crapshoot especially considering the lack of competition and the overwhelming level of talent on the US squad. It is hard to decipher what Cori's plans were for this team in general or Azzi specifically. This team lack effort defensively, cohesion in general, defined roles and the substitution & starters especially in the early rounds was puzzling. This team never encountered any adversity or significant resistance As has been stated by several posters Azzi will be a far different player at UCONN than she has displayed on this team. Way too much is being made of this tournament with regards to Azzi's development and potential to start at UCONN. Azzi development would have been further along if you take this same group of kids, put them on a bus, drop them off at any open gym, and have them run pickup games for 2 hours. Leave Cori on the bus, not all neighborhoods are safe and someone will need to keep an eye on the transportation. The added bonus of this development plan is that Azzi would have been guarding Paopao (Oregon), or Diamond Johnson (NCST), or Sonia Citron (ND)- all players that Azzi is going to have to guard this coming fall/winter if I'm not mistaken.
But how do you really feel about Cori Close?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Azzi played on a bad foot for Team USA this summer. I think she did just fine.

Yesterday, Geno said he expects to work her in gradually, that she won't make the sudden splash that Maya and Stewie made. But when you look at her stats and see that her missed shots are rare, you'll recognize how efficient she is.

Reaction Score
But how do you really feel about Cori Close?
Outside of recent UCONN performance, reaching the Final Four is a tough assignment.
And we take that for granted— foolishly.
Personally, I would not use that as a litmus test.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Cori Close is a mediocre coach at best because despite having #1 overall recruiting classes she has failed to ever reach a final four. A trip (or even several) to Storrs to watch Geno conduct practices does not qualify her to be a very good coach any more than it does me. Coaching this U19 team is not a crapshoot especially considering the lack of competition and the overwhelming level of talent on the US squad. It is hard to decipher what Cori's plans were for this team in general or Azzi specifically. This team lack effort defensively, cohesion in general, defined roles and the substitution & starters especially in the early rounds was puzzling. This team never encountered any adversity or significant resistance As has been stated by several posters Azzi will be a far different player at UCONN than she has displayed on this team. Way too much is being made of this tournament with regards to Azzi's development and potential to start at UCONN. Azzi development would have been further along if you take this same group of kids, put them on a bus, drop them off at any open gym, and have them run pickup games for 2 hours. Leave Cori on the bus, not all neighborhoods are safe and someone will need to keep an eye on the transportation. The added bonus of this development plan is that Azzi would have been guarding Paopao (Oregon), or Diamond Johnson (NCST), or Sonia Citron (ND)- all players that Azzi is going to have to guard this coming fall/winter if I'm not mistaken.
Far be it for me to stop a good Coco rant,as I am not a Cori Close fan by any stretch but she is significantly better than “mediocre”. So while, yes she had #1 ranked class, that does not and never has guaranteed any E8 or Final Four appearances. Especially considering how Capricious some the these services rank players. I saw Close up close in the 2019 NCAA Tournament at Maryland and beat Tennessee (catalyst for Evina leaving) and then beat the region #3 Terps 85-80. They then lost to UConn in the S16 69-61. You can’t be “mediocre” and do that regardless of your talent. She’s been regularly in the Top 4 of the PAC 12 during their ascension as the top WCBB conference. So, yes, I do question her x’s and o’s however to use her usage of the U19s team who won the gold, but stating as a main example of her being mediocre is also stating Jeff Walz is also at or below mediocre based on the way he managed the U19 team in 2019 where he regular overplayed Haley Van Lith with the 3rd most min on that loaded team and had to win in OT vs. Australia.

All I am saying you are bit “over the top” on your critique here. Her results are pretty good as she has made 6-NCAA’s in 9 opportunities (1 E8; 3 S16; 2 2nd Rd) and did win the WNIT title in 2015. That is better than mediocre.

Reaction Score
Far be it for me to stop a good Coco rant,as I am not a Cori Close fan by any stretch but she is significantly better than “mediocre”. So while, yes she had #1 ranked class, that does not and never has guaranteed any E8 or Final Four appearances. Especially considering how Capricious some the these services rank players. I saw Close up close in the 2019 NCAA Tournament at Maryland and beat Tennessee (catalyst for Evina leaving) and then beat the region #3 Terps 85-80. They then lost to UConn in the S16 69-61. You can’t be “mediocre” and do that regardless of your talent. She’s been regularly in the Top 4 of the PAC 12 during their ascension as the top WCBB conference. So, yes, I do question her x’s and o’s however to use her usage of the U19s team who won the gold, but stating as a main example of her being mediocre is also stating Jeff Walz is also at or below mediocre based on the way he managed the U19 team in 2019 where he regular overplayed Haley Van Lith with the 3rd most min on that loaded team and had to win in OT vs. Australia.

All I am saying you are bit “over the top” on your critique here. Her results are pretty good as she has made 6-NCAA’s in 9 opportunities (1 E8; 3 S16; 2 2nd Rd) and did win the WNIT title in 2015. That is better than mediocre.
once again the Pac 12 getting disrespected. Did people forget that she coaches in a conference of 6+ tournament teams. Idk how many conferences can say that. Arizona, Oregon st, Stanford, Oregon, Ucla, Washington. In my honest opinion she got robbed of a great opportunity in 2020, her team was rolling after upseting Oregon State and then Covid happened and we didn't get a tournament. That team was by far her best and then they lost a couple players to grad including rookie of the year for liberty.

Reaction Score
once again the Pac 12 getting disrespected. Did people forget that she coaches in a conference of 6+ tournament teams. Idk how many conferences can say that. Arizona, Oregon st, Stanford, Oregon, Ucla, Washington. In my honest opinion she got robbed of a great opportunity in 2020, her team was rolling after upseting Oregon State and then Covid happened and we didn't get a tournament. That team was by far her best and then they lost a couple players to grad including rookie of the year for liberty.
Onyenware played last year for ucla

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

You are right you can't be mediocre and do that you can be down right awful. Holly Warlick brought her teams to the Elite Eight in three of her first four season as head coach of TN. In those same 4 years Holly also won the SEC twice. Cori has had 10 seasons at UCLA and has never won a PAC 12 regular season or tournament championship. During her 10 years in that conference (5) other conference schools (Oregon State, Oregon, Arizona, Stanford and Washington) have advanced to a FF.
UCLA player development under Cori? Well that's on an uptick recently since Michaela Onyenwere was named WNBA rookie of the year for 2021. Before that things were kind of sparse for Cori's former players when it comes to success in the W. Kristine
Anigwe career average in the W is 3.3 PPG. and she was not on a WNBA roster in 2021. Jordan Canada seams to be regressing as Sue's backup in Seattle after showing some promise in her second season. Kennedy Burke and Moniquie Billings are the only former Cori players in the WNBA.
Besides the above what prompted me to call Cori a mediocre coach is the last USA U19 team that she coached recently. Did you happen to catch any of those games? Her team lacked defined roles was at times were defensively indifferent and there were some confounding changes to the starting line up especially in the early games. in contrast the U16 team was organized, had well defined roles and worked much more cohesively. The U16 was coached by a HS coach-Sue Phillips. I was not crazy about Jeff's coaching of the U19 team and although he takes a lot of static here for his recruiting Jeff is a very good coach. Jeff might be considered outstanding especially if you compare him to Cori.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom