Some interesting insight into the state of the program and some flat out stupidity | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Some interesting insight into the state of the program and some flat out stupidity

Reaction Score
I heard (very early in the season) that he loves being at UConn, loves being this close to home and is in no rush to leave. I do imagine that another season under his belt has led to him being more NBA focused than he was in October.
This is a kid that stayed at Bristol High when everyone in the world told him to go prep. While the odds are that he's going pro—and he should go pro—he's always done things his own way, and his own way is always to be in CT near his family. I wouldn't be completely shocked if he came back given that.

Reaction Score
This is a kid that stayed at Bristol High when everyone in the world told him to go pro. While the odds are that he's going pro—and he should go pro—he's always done things his own way, and his own way is always to be in CT near his family. I wouldn't be completely shocked if he came back given that.
I don't think anyone told Clingan to go pro before he graduated from Bristol Central HS. Is that what you meant to type?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He's still a growing boy. Maybe DC wants to give his body another year before he hits the wars?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
He's still a growing boy. Maybe DC wants to give his body another year before he hits the wars?
Or maybe he promised his late mom that he'd get his degree before going pro.

Given his love and devotion to his mom, I can see him doing that.

Reaction Score
This is a kid that stayed at Bristol High when everyone in the world told him to go prep. While the odds are that he's going pro—and he should go pro—he's always done things his own way, and his own way is always to be in CT near his family. I wouldn't be completely shocked if he came back given that.
Having lost his mom the way he did, he might have an uncommon perspective on what matters in life. He might value the presence of family, close friends, and personal attachments more than he values getting out into the world and being on his own at this point. Not to mention, if he's drafted by an NBA team he has no say in where he's moving to. Could be someplace far-flung like Memphis, San Antonio, Portland. He can't just say "I want to stay in the northeast within driving distance of my people."

Personally, I'm grateful he helped win a banner for my old high school and two for my college alma mater, and wouldn't hope for anything more from him, but ultimately it's up to him as to what he wants for his own life, and when he feels ready to move into the professional world, the working world. When you go to college, you start to become an adult, and you should have agency over your own life at that point - even if that means deciding you want to stay in school a little longer and enjoy yourself without the pressure of being a pro athlete.

Reaction Score
ultimately it's up to him as to what he wants for his own life, and when he feels ready to move into the professional world, the working world. When you go to college, you start to become an adult, and you should have agency over your own life at that point - even if that means deciding you want to stay in school a little longer and enjoy life.
I agree here fully. If he doesn't want to go, Hurley's first step should be to make the case why he should. If he's dead set on returning? Well, he has earned the right to leave UConn when and how he wants.

Reaction Score
Hurley will talk to his NBA contacts and let Clingan know what he should do.

Reaction Score
Clingan 100% should go pro. I personally would love it if he stayed 1 more year, what UConn fan wouldn't?? ...
But, he's gone.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I think the wheelchair nonsense pretty much took care of that already.

You sound like the people saying they’d rather have Matt Painter than Hurley because Hurley’s classless.

Obviously you were rooting against the Celtics and when they won you took out your frustration by calling Pierce a p—y, and you know I’m right!

Pierce was the Finals MVP and I’m pretty sure his legacy is that and being in the HOF. All the wasted and dumb stuff he does — and he’s done plenty over the past few years — can’t change that.

I will not stand for anyone libeling the Truth! :)

Reaction Score
The people who insist players should go are as bad as those who insist they should stay. It's none of our business to say what they should or shouldn't do or what their motivations should be. Everyone thinks that money should be the only motivation, and while it sure as hell is important, its not necessarily the only motivation for everyone. Clingan (and Castle for that matter) are somewhat unique cases where they and their families seem to value college as more than just a stepping stone to a pro career (and have some financial luxury to do so). If they didn't, Clingan wouldn't have stayed in Bristol as someone else mentioned, and Castle would have gone to Kentucky or Duke or something. If either of them wanted to stay because they and/or their families felt another year at UConn would benefit them more on a personal level, who are we to criticize. And with NIL and insurance policies, yes, you could argue there isn't as much of a rush anymore to jump as soon as you can. Yes Danny should lay out all the reasons they should leave, but he shouldn't dismiss any reasons they may have to want to stay.

That said, yeah, I think they should both go, and probably will, but that's just me and what I would do. I'm just not going to presume that's what's most important to them.

If they did decide to stay however......wow. How would they not be the favorite to win it all again?

Reaction Score
You sound like the people saying they’d rather have Matt Painter than Hurley because Hurley’s classless.

Obviously you were rooting against the Celtics and when they won you took out your frustration by calling Pierce a p—y, and you know I’m right!

Pierce was the Finals MVP and I’m pretty sure his legacy is that and being in the HOF. All the wasted and dumb stuff he does — and he’s done plenty over the past few years — can’t change that.

I will not stand for anyone libeling the Truth! :)
Maybe Pierce and Filipowski can start a support group for basketball players with fake debilitating injuries.

Reaction Score

We might as well have this be the idiot thread, how predictable love Broussard giving it to Rob Parker and speaking over him.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Random observations

If there's an opportunity to leave as a lottery pick, I believe they should leave for financial reasons

The NIL is obviously a mitigating factor; to argue otherwise is rather silly

There are other factors in play besides money. It could be as simple as letting kids be kids. Have some fun and continue on with your education

At the end of the day, I believe everyone should live their own life. They have the freedom to pursue happiness. I have a hard enough time trying to live my own life to perfection. Not going to worry about their decisions, it's their life

Thank you for choosing UConn boys and girls, wishing you all the best whatever you decide

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I think there is some truth to that if you are at the low end of the scale. For example, Paige Bueckers would certainly be drafted in the top five of the NBA draft. She might be number two after Clark. But she's already making $1 million a year in endorsements, so there's no urgency to go. Similarly, if a kid is from an economically deprived environment, particularly some of the guys who come from overseas, then endorsement money might give you the flexibility to wait before going pro. in the NBA, however, at the top end of the scale, the math favors leaving.

One of them makes you a multimillionaire in earnings and the other doesn't?
WNBA salaries max out at 250K so its not a fair comparison. Stewie made 180K last year

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
So I'm not an insider at all.

But there were two fairly popular narratives that were passed around people in Phoenix and specifically more locally around Bristol/Terryville. One was that Clingan wanted another year (and also something about an insurance policy DCs family has out for him which I think is fairly common with potential pro prospects now). He's also tapped into a huge NIL potential. (Seth Greenberg mentioned something on one of the ESPN programs about Clingan coming back and he's not not tapped into the program right now...)

And the other one which was kind of surprising that got passed around a lot was that Castles parents want/wanted him at Uconn for two years.

I also saw Castles parents speak a couple times publicly in interviews the last few weeks and was blown away. They seem like great people who have kept their son grounded and understand the process of getting him to the next level.

I would think Hurley tells both to go and if they're both projected to go in the top 15 why wouldn't you. I'm not sure it's as cut and dry as both are 100% gone specifically because of the family dynamics behind both.

Could you imagine if Clingan and Steph both decide to run it back, and Domask's suit against the NCAA opens the door for Cam to return too?

(Yes I know there's no chance of this happening but it would be hilarious)

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I agree here fully. If he doesn't want to go, Hurley's first step should be to make the case why he should. If he's dead set on returning? Well, he has earned the right to leave UConn when and how he wants.

I agree. I said in another thread that Hurley should cuss him out of he tries to come back -- obviously tongue in cheek, but the point stands that he should urge him to reconsider -- and Hurley should have a frank conversation with his father as well, but if after all that he really wants to come back it's his call.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
WNBA salaries max out at 250K so its not a fair comparison. Stewie made 180K last year
Exactly Paige foregoing 100,000 while she is making right around 1 million in NIL, is a different decision then Donovan giving up $15M whole he's making, what $100,000?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
DC has to be making more than 100K
What do you think the number is? $200,000? $250,000?. I guarantee you it isn't 10 times what he'll make in the NBA and that multiple is exactly what Paige is looking at. Her potential WNBA salary is probably right around 1/10 of what she makes in NIL. The economics of her decision are entirely different from Donovan's decision.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
People seem to think that NIL vaporize the moment a kid goes pro. They don't. They just get renamed endorsements.

If Donovan is drafted at the number three slot as is currently being predicted he would earn somewhere around $9 million as his NBA salary. I strongly doubt he is currently making that in endorsements, but let's say he is. He gets drafted at number three he gets his $9 million salary and keeps his $9 million NIL which become endorsement deals. That totals $18 million. $18M > $9M.

I think what Hurley was talking about is that a non-lottery NBA rookie might make just south of $1 million per year. It's entirely feasible that they might have an NIL equivalent to that. But the math still works out the same. $2M>$1M.

If Donovan is going to be a high lottery pick, he should definitely leave.

I think his point is guys aren’t broke and NEED to go for money…if he loves his time, wants to develop more, AND he’s making a mill or two, he doesn’t feel as much pressure to maximize his dollars ASAP.

Not agreeing with that by this post, just clarifying.

No one is saying he won’t be better financially in the NBA, but a kid like that making REAL money might not be scared of injury playing another 9 months and living his best life.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom