OT: - Solheim Cup Friday...EARLY! | The Boneyard

OT: Solheim Cup Friday...EARLY!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Women's Golf...team play...USA versus Europe

Friday: 2:00AM to !:00PM Golf Channel...our time. The event is in Spain
Saturday: same as Friday
Sunday: 5:00 AM to 11:00 AM Golf Channel.

Could not find a scoreboard link at this time...will post it when it becomes
available.

USA has been dominant for a long while but Europe won in 2019 over there and
then in 2021 in the USA. They have never won 3 in a row. Americans will be
super-psyched...probably have to keep teammates calm in hostile atmosphere.

Friday: 4 four ball matches...4 alternate shot matches.
Saturday: same as Friday.
Sunday: 12 singles.

The team aspect is unusual for golf but its rarity makes it kinda cool.

BTW: Ryder Cup next weekend...also being played in Europe.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I'll DVR it and watch in when I wake up, getting too old to stay up and watch it live. Go USA!!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score

The matches have not started yet but the link will take you to the
the pairings...starting at 2:00AM Friday. I assume they will update the matches
hole by hole.

First four are 'foursomes'...i.e. alternate shot.
Second four tomorrow are four ball...i.e best ball.

Same sequence for Saturday. "Alternate shot" has much more pressure and
strategy involved. I.e selecting the ball the team is going to use/who tees off on the odd holes/who goes
off the even holes etc.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
My pick is Europe in a close match. Did you see the course measures over 6,900 yards? Longest I have seen for women. Absolutely gorgeous track.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score

The link in my first post makes no sense to me...this one does.
All matches on the back nine...USA off to a good start....ahead in 2...tied in 2...
alternate shot format....course looks gorgeous.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Pretty fair start for the USA: 4-0...swept the alternate shot matches.
Four ball matches starting right now.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Megan Khang and family are friends of an occasional golf and business buddy of mine. They belong to the same CC. .

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
USA sweeps the alternate shot....4-0. Euros make good comeback with 3-1 in the four ball
competition. Day one end with USA up 5-3. Same format Saturday..alternate shot then four ball.
6 out of 8 matches today went to #18...interesting close competition.

2 shots stood out in the PM.
Both Americans hit it very close on a back nine par 3. Pederson of Europe then makes a hole
in one...thereby winning the hole...a key event in that match. Only second hole in one in
Solheim Cup ever.

Lexi Thomson and partner need a birdie on par 5 number 18 to tie their match and earn 1/2 point.
Lexi is on fringe in 2....promptly hits one SERIOUS shank [on a chip shot] and ball flies over the green.
Almost made her following shot for a birdie but missed by inches so Europe got the full point.

BTW Cohenzone: Megan went 1-0-1 today...played well....partnered with upcoming star Rose
Zhang in the four ball...looked good together.
Megan is one of my favorites: a New Englander for one....and saw her play in person when she won
the Ct. Open two years in a row when she was around 14-15 year old. Now a very young vet...steady player...
makes good money every year and broke thru with her first win earlier this season. At times she was pretty
fiery with Rose in their match...in a good way...pumping her up.

Reaction Score
USA sweeps the alternate shot....4-0. Euros make good comeback with 3-1 in the four ball
competition. Day one end with USA up 5-3. Same format Saturday..alternate shot then four ball.
6 out of 8 matches today went to #18...interesting close competition.

2 shots stood out in the PM.
Both Americans hit it very close on a back nine par 3. Pederson of Europe then makes a hole
in one...thereby winning the hole...a key event in that match. Only second hole in one in
Solheim Cup ever.

Lexi Thomson and partner need a birdie on par 5 number 18 to tie their match and earn 1/2 point.
Lexi is on fringe in 2....promptly hits one SERIOUS shank [on a chip shot] and ball flies over the green.
Almost made her following shot for a birdie but missed by inches so Europe got the full point.

BTW Cohenzone: Megan went 1-0-1 today...played well....partnered with upcoming star Rose
Zhang in the four ball...looked good together.
Megan is one of my favorites: a New Englander for one....and saw her play in person when she won
the Ct. Open two years in a row when she was around 14-15 year old. Now a very young vet...steady player...
makes good money every year and broke thru with her first win earlier this season. At times she was pretty
fiery with Rose in their match...in a good way...pumping her up.
Thanks for posting this, Blake, for your interesting golf OTs.

Megan has very possibly been the US' best player through two matches, yet her biggest contribution might be that she somehow carried Zhang 'til well into the match until Rose got her game at least somewhat back in gear.

That Rose was well over par and all over southern Spain through 12 holes or so shouldn't have been a surprise. She has been playing miserably on tour since her auspicious debut win and follow up good showing in the U.S. Open three months ago. That her captain didn't trust her in the foursomes this morning and she will be sitting again tomorrow morning is telling. Listen all you want to the 'superstar' hoopla about Rose, she's struggling mightily with her game.

Turns out, she had just the right partner alongside this afternoon.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting this, Blake, for your interesting golf OTs.

Megan has very possibly been the US' best player through two matches, yet her biggest contribution might be that she somehow carried Zhang 'til well into the match until Rose got her game at least somewhat back in gear.

That Rose was well over par and all over southern Spain through 12 holes or so shouldn't have been a surprise. She has been playing miserably on tour since her auspicious debut win and follow up good showing in the U.S. Open three months ago. That her captain didn't trust her in the foursomes this morning and she will be sitting again tomorrow morning is telling. Listen all you want to the 'superstar' hoopla about Rose, she's struggling mightily with her game.

Turns out, she had just the right partner alongside this afternoon.
If they lose the terrible shot by Lexi will be remembered forever.
There is no way someone with her experience should ever in match play make that mistake.
She was close enough to make sure her team got a 1/2 point, and completely muffed the shot.

Reaction Score
If they lose the terrible shot by Lexi will be remembered forever.
There is no way someone with her experience should ever in match play make that mistake.
She was close enough to make sure her team got a 1/2 point, and completely muffed the shot.

My professionals have shanked (looks like it) shots before, even Tiger Wood.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Saturday alternate shot matches: USA 2 Euro 2. USA now leads 7-5.

Four 4 ball matches now starting. 12 singles matches on Sunday.
My bet is that the Euros need to get within one by the end of Saturday to win the whole thing.
Their terrible start on Friday in the alternate shot matches [0-4] may doom them. Conventional wisdom
says the Americans are stronger in the singles...'conventional' does not equate to it happening tomorrow.

Note: Korda's team has won both their matches in routs. Korda is playing her 3rd match right now...should be
well rested. Megan Khang won her alternate match with Lexi Thompson this morning....captain is
resting her for the 4 ball right now. Megan is now 2-0-1....super job Megan!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Beautiful setting for a course on the Mediterranean not far from Gibraltar.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Sunday...Game ON!

USA 8 Europe 8....12 singles matches tomorrow.

TV: 5:00 AM to 11:00 AM Golf Channel

Super job by Euros after starting 0-4. Not many putts made down the stretch in four balls this afternoon...
by either team. Solheim Cup pressure?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Sunday...Game ON!

USA 8 Europe 8....12 singles matches tomorrow.

TV: 5:00 AM to 11:00 AM Golf Channel

Super job by Euros after starting 0-4. Not many putts made down the stretch in four balls this afternoon...
I thought that the pin placements were pretty demanding, both for approach shots and putting - yesterday's seemed more receptive.

Reaction Score
I thought that the pin placements were pretty demanding, both for approach shots and putting - yesterday's seemed more receptive.
I'd agree about the pin placements, pinotbear, while noting pins are customarily placed closer to the edges for four-ball than foursomes.

Blake, perhaps a few less putts were drained down the final few holes, but the quality of play and the overall putting by both teams was remarkable today, regardless of the pressure. Both the Americans and Euros did golf in general and women's golf in particular proud. If the singles even approach the level of play today, it'll be a joy to watch!

Beautiful setting for a course on the Mediterranean not far from Gibraltar.
Well said, Milford. And the weather has lived up to its Costa del Sol billing!
Conventional wisdom says the Americans are stronger in the singles...'conventional' does not equate to it happening tomorrow.
I just heard the Euros have won the singles sessions five of the last six Solheim Cups... 'conventional wisdom' must be hearkening back to the '90s and '00s?

P.S. to The Farm Fan: sorry if you were offended by my comments on Rose Zhang. I have no doubt she'll be a top player for years to come, perhaps as good as anyone some day. However, check her performances since June and you'll understand my take.

Ask Stacy Lewis, who sat Rose for both foursome matches. Except for brilliant drives on the 1st hole in both four-ball matches and a couple of clutch putts, Rose has not distinguished herself, given the incredible buildup.

By the way, I'll remind you, if you happen to see the Rose promotion that states she won the NCAA title this past spring, yes, she won the individual title, but she wilted down the stretch of her individual match vs. USC in the team semifinals to cost the Cardinal team a chance to capture the title (which Wake won the next day).

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
14-14...Europe 'retains' the Solheim Cup. They do not have any procedure to break a tie.

Crowd [in Spain] was great. Competition was great. Among the very best golf-viewings in my life.
Spanish player huge down the stretch to get a full point and clinch retaining the cup.

Lexi Thompson at 3-1...Meghan Khang at 3 and 1/2 to 1/2...our best.

Due to covid they have the next Solheim Cup in the fall of 2024...no taking a year off.
It is in Virginia...reasonably near DC...hope we get a loud and numerous crowd to root them on...
maybe a Boneyarder or two?

Ryder Cup next weekend in Rome...will be hard to match this one.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Great match, but Nellie Korda was horrible. Lexi finally showed up, but it was too late. Good comeback for a few of the lesser known players, but the Europeans played very well. Congrats to them.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In the last 4-5 matches, the Americans got outplayed badly. They were even with 3-4 holes to go and lost multiple matches. Lexi lost 2 holes in a row, but was able to halve the 17th for the win. Hedwall was 3 down with 6 to play and proceeded to win 5 holes and the match with some magical putting. Ciganda hit approach shots to 2´ on 16 and 17 to beat Korda and get her team to 14 points.

RTJ in NoVa next year. I’ve seen multiple Presidents Cup events there and hope to catch the women. It’s a beautiful venue on Lake Manassas.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
The reaction by the Euro players and home crowd to Ciganda' winning a full point against Korda and
guaranteeing 14 points was wild and enthusiastic. When Lexi go a full point a few minutes later to get 14
the American players were so subdued...kinda like "OK Lexi...nice job"...as the tie was similar to a kiss
from your sister.

I wonder why they have not set up a tie-breaker over the years? If it is 14-14 then the captains select their most dependable player for sudden death. Super pressure on those 2 players for sure.

Reaction Score
The reaction by the Euro players and home crowd to Ciganda' winning a full point against Korda and
guaranteeing 14 points was wild and enthusiastic. When Lexi go a full point a few minutes later to get 14
the American players were so subdued...kinda like "OK Lexi...nice job"...as the tie was similar to a kiss
from your sister.

I wonder why they have not set up a tie-breaker over the years? If it is 14-14 then the captains select their most dependable player for sudden death. Super pressure on those 2 players for sure.

28 players with all those matches over 3 days, sudden death tie-breaker between 2 players would not be fair.

Reaction Score
Very disappointing that U.S. couldnt win the Cup back. Especially after building a 4-0 lead. Americans cant close the deal even though they have more talent - 4 years running (3 events).

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
28 players with all those matches over 3 days, sudden death tie-breaker between 2 players would not be fair.
True, but World Cup soccer matches decided by penalty kicks is worse.

Reaction Score
True, but World Cup soccer matches decided by penalty kicks is worse.

I am not a soccer fan but at least in the case of penalty kicks it involved 12 different players and it is not sudden death.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom