So, who's #2? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So, who's #2?

Reaction Score
I'm troubled that Maryland will play no top 10 teams (maybe top 15) going forward. I don't know how that will impact their rankings later in the season, but it shouldn't allow them to climb the rankings ladder any higher than they are ranked now. I would think it would cause them to move the other direction.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
For all the MSU fans, you do understand how the polls work right? They are not jumping Oregon just because they beat a depleted and overrated Texas team. Their body of work thus far in the season has been against VERY POOR COMPETITION. I am not saying they are not good (they are top 5) but Oregon has played better schools so far as has Baylor.

Um... what? I'm not a deluded MSU robot fan or anything, and I know we're not jumping Oregon. Nor do I really care to. But saying that Oregon has played better competition than us is pretty silly...

1543854881168.png

The only good team they played is Syracuse, and it was a neck-and-neck game till the end. Syracuse had a chance. We haven't played anyone except Texas, but they were still a very talented team, arguably better than Syracuse, and we pretty much stomped them.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Maryland has played no one and will play no one. The best teams they will play all year are the likes of Iowa, Indiana, and Minnesota in conference play.

I think that stomping of South Carolina counts for something. SC is not at a point where it doesn't take effort to beat them, though they're definitely at the lowest point since recent memory.

Their overall schedule isn't strong though. Could hurt them in selection time just like in 2016. I think the conference that you play in matters. There are more ranked teams in the ACC and SEC. They could hope Michigan State and Ohio State are ranked by the time they play them.

Reaction Score
On a side note, as I live 1 hr from Syracuse, the Orange women have a really good team with many inter changeable pieces. They are p[laying a really ambitious out of conference schedule. The reason why the won't be as successful as they should is because they still have Quentin Hillsman as their coach. He leads a very undisciplined team/culture. They have a ton of talent but no discipline on court.

Reaction Score
For all the MSU fans, you do understand how the polls work right? They are not jumping Oregon just because they beat a depleted and overrated Texas team. Their body of work thus far in the season has been against VERY POOR COMPETITION. I am not saying they are not good (they are top 5) but Oregon has played better schools so far as has Baylor. MSU plays a tough Marquette next before playing Oregon in two weeks. That's when the pollsters will decide MSU's fate as #2/3.
Baylor has Stanford and UConn coming up so theirs and our fates will be decided then as well.
Defense, I understand the polls and the polls will probably have MSST at 4 or 5. I also understand actual performance in a game situation, based solely on performance, I.e. how the players work as a team, MSST deserves the 2 spot. As of today no team they have played has actually challenged them because of the team performance. MSST will be in the final mix come tournament time and head to head against the best I believe we will perform well. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
DD0924FD-B969-436A-94A5-73706B9C1948.jpeg

Here’s the Top 7 and points allotted last week.
Notice Oregon was only 30 pts behind UConn for 2nd place. The panel loves Oregon whether you think it’s justified or not. The biggest gap appears between Louisville and MSU, so that shows a little skepticism towards MSU.
ND is getting plenty of bad press out of last night’s game, with both the ease of victory at ND’s House plus the rampant sportsmanship issues revolving around Ogunbowale. I’m going to drop ND to #5 and everyone just bumps up one without any leapfrogging.... MSU staying at #6 (even though I feel they look better than that).

1. UCONN
2. ORE
3. BAY
4. LOU
5. ND
6. MSU
7. MAR

That’s what I think the panel will do. My personal ranking would be a little different.

1. UCONN
2. MSU
3. BAY
4. ORE
5. ND
6. LOU
7. MAR

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Massey's top 7 as of this morning. Looks about right. UConn - large gap - Miss St. and ND nearly tied and Baylor very close to those two, then Louisville-Oregon-Maryland rounding out the elite group.

View attachment 37011
Not to overreact to one game, for all the "the world is falling" fans out there, this list puts a lot in perspective. Even with a poor recruiting year, you can still project UConn having a top 5 team for 2+ more years. One good class next year and even with SC's, ND's, and other good pick ups, you could see other Huskie wave building.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom