So, who's #2? | The Boneyard

So, who's #2?

Reaction Score
We know who #1 is, but ND, after suffering an 18 point beatdown at home, clearly has to drop a few notches. I'd say Mississippi State deserves it.

Reaction Score
Oregon will be, followed by Baylor. ND will move down to 4 think.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Oregon (3), Baylor (4), Louisville (5), Mississippi State (6), Maryland (7) and Stanford (8) are all undefeated. So ND could drop to 8th and the above mention move up one stop each.

Without checking who each team has played, I think ND goes to 5 or 6.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
My top ten right now would be:
1. UCONN-clear #1 after today
2. Mississippi State-they wont jump this high, but the win today was impressive...they definitely look different but have the pieces to be a top team again
3. Notre Dame-guessing they drop to 4 or 5 in the real polls, but I still think they'll be a top 3 team all year and UCONN's biggest competition for a title
4. Baylor-excited to see them today
5. Oregon-good but overrated IMO at 2 or 3.
6. Louisville-good but a step down from lasst year
7. Oregon State-well coached, good PG and wings
8. Maryland-could be better (or worse) than 8 but they don't play anyone good this year

Reaction Score
I'm guessing ND lands at #2. I'd guess Baylor (dependent on tonight's game) next, then Oregon (they haven't impressed me enough for their ranking yet, but I'm no expert.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Oregon (3), Baylor (4), Louisville (5), Mississippi State (6), Maryland (7) and Stanford (8) are all undefeated. So ND could drop to 8th and the above mention move up one stop each.

The Cardinal just lost to Gonzaga, a team Notre Dame beat a week ago in Canada by 16, so I don't think they rise above Notre Dame. UConn was leading by 6 heading in to the 4th quarter this afternoon, so it isn't like this game was a blowout, despite the final score. I suspect ND drops no lower than 3, but I hope they drop ND much lower, so the Irish get a big chip on their shoulder.

Last edited:

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Also, you can't reward these teams for not playing anyone OOC, yet. Oregon hosted Syracuse, but their next toughest game was a decent Buffalo squad. Baylor has played only ASU and South Dakota St. thus far. Maybe they hop the Irish. Louisville has only played ASU (2-point win). MSU has only played Texas, and that was a game that was forced upon them (but they beat them handily). Their toughest OOC opponent they chose to face thus far has been Virginia (ranked 98th in Massey), but Marquette and Oregon wait in the wings. Maryland has beaten only South Carolina, and the Gamecocks are off this season thus far.

Last edited:

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
I'd put Notre Dame at 2 and Mississippi State at 3. In any case, the Oregon/Mississippi State rankings should be settled on the 18th. I don't really have a good take on Baylor, but I suspect all of these teams are better than Louisville.

Reaction Score
ND should be #2

Then again, #4 Baylor's absolute beatdown of #18 SC might turn some heads.
And there was #6 Miss St's easy win over #10 Texas

I have a feeling we will see a lot of variation in #2-6 voting this week.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Me too.

Reaction Score
ND is an incredibly dangerous team, especially if all the parts are healthy. They're still #2 in my book.

Reaction Score
In-season rankings are pretty meaningless, and I’m not a fan of them. Despite their having been humiliated at home, ND may, in fact, be the second best team in the country. But they clearly, at this point, should not be ranked in the top five...which is kind of my point about rankings in the first place.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
For all the MSU fans, you do understand how the polls work right? They are not jumping Oregon just because they beat a depleted and overrated Texas team. Their body of work thus far in the season has been against VERY POOR COMPETITION. I am not saying they are not good (they are top 5) but Oregon has played better schools so far as has Baylor. MSU plays a tough Marquette next before playing Oregon in two weeks. That's when the pollsters will decide MSU's fate as #2/3.
Baylor has Stanford and UConn coming up so theirs and our fates will be decided then as well.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Notre Dame should be 2 until another team does something to earn that spot.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
In-season rankings are pretty meaningless, and I’m not a fan of them. Despite their having been humiliated at home, ND may, in fact, be the second best team in the country. But they clearly, at this point, should not be ranked in the top five...which is kind of my point about rankings in the first place.
UConn, Oregon, Baylor, MSU and then you would take Louisville over ND? Have you seen Louisville play this year? ND should be 5. Louisville and then Maryland, OSU, Syracuse and then probably Tennessee (much to my chagrin).

Reaction Score
UConn, Oregon, Baylor, MSU and then you would take Louisville over ND? Have you seen Louisville play this year? ND should be 5. Louisville and then Maryland, OSU, Syracuse and then probably Tennessee (much to my chagrin).
I agree with your top 5, just a different order. The December 24 AP poll will be the 1st time that rankings will more accurately reflect top 10.

Reaction Score
Then again, #4 Baylor's absolute beatdown of #18 SC might turn some heads.
And there was #6 Miss St's easy win over #10 Texas

I have a feeling we will see a lot of variation in #2-6 voting this week.
I think it is so hard to judge by those games because TX has so many injuries and South Carolina is so depleted.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Massey's top 7 as of this morning. Looks about right. UConn - large gap - Miss St. and ND nearly tied and Baylor very close to those two, then Louisville-Oregon-Maryland rounding out the elite group.

1543850812170.png

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Oregon's only really played Syracuse and they won by 2. ND beat Oregon State by 10 and I think they're better than Syracuse. Still early for the computer rankings, but Massey has Gonzaga and Drake higher than Syracuse, too.

Miss St. has only really played a depleted Texas team. But they've crushed everyone. Can't really argue against them.

Baylor's best opponent was Arizona St. and they won by 6. Again, Oregon State is likely better and Drake and Gonzaga may be just a good and ND beat those teams by more.

Louisville's best opponent is also Arizona St. and they won by 2.

Maryland has played no one and will play no one. The best teams they will play all year are the likes of Iowa, Indiana, and Minnesota in conference play.

I'd still put ND #2 and if anyone jumps them it should be Miss St. But it probably won't play out like that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom