SMU Game thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

SMU Game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anyone who doesn't think we have a problem in recruiting should be forced to watch this game on repeat.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Serious question...I never watched many of the games under Calhoun in the early 2000's, became a die hard fan when I enrolled at UConn.

My question is what was the offense like under Calhoun? Ollie runs NBA sets, seemingly trying to give guards freedom to attack, almost like an iso offense, however with none of our players besides Boat able to create a shot for themselves it often looks stagnant.
Calhoun had players.

Reaction Score
Anyone who doesn't think we have a problem in recruiting should be forced to watch this game on repeat.
The next months of recruiting are going to be critical.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Ollie needs to push on this Carter kid to start along side Jalen next year.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
disappointment and dejection. A close loss would have been OK if we weren't so desperate, but this....

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
1st GameDay at SMU
SMU is 43-3 at home since moving back to Moody
This is like a Louisville matchup
Anyone who EXPECTED a win is crazy
Would I like to see UConn be more competitive - sure, but to travel across the nation less than 24 hrs. and face all of the above?
This game was penciled in as a loss at season start
Its now up to the AAC tournament or join FLA (maybe not after they lost again today) in the NIT
There's worse things in life

Reaction Score
The team lost this game on the court, but the refs' calls were lopsided yet again. The out of bounds play that was reversed because Brown went "ballistic" was unequivocally out on SMU. It would have been nice to see Ollie counter and walk out onto the court and pull a T. This would have forced the review of the play over and over again and highlight the refs incompetence and/or bias. He had another opportunity to protest the mystery foul on Brimah. Sure seems like we are taking it in the shorts more and more, and sitting on our hands isn't going to make it better. The team has enough challenges without refs creating headwinds.

Lastly, SMU annoyed the crap out of me and I hope we stick it to them on our home court.

Reaction Score
You don't lose by this much cause of refs.

If that was directed at me, I never said that. Reread the first sentence. The point, which appears to have been missed, is that Ollie has to push back a little on some of these poor calls or he is going to have to learn to live with them.

Reaction Score
You don't lose by this much cause of refs.
I don't know about that. IMO, there is no way we beat Tulsa the way we did, without the refs favoring us (certainly would not win by that much in Tulsa). The refs are always affecting the game and in many cases the outcome. It is not because of some conspiracy either. It is just the psychology of officiating in a environment where the vast majority are "willing you" to make certain calls. Kind of like mass hypnosis in reverse.

Reaction Score
Calhoun had players.

I think the difference between this year and 06-07 is that it was pretty easy to recognize the talent up and down the roster in 06-07 whereas outside of Boat and Hamilton, the talent seems to be lacking to UConn standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom