Smart and Hurley post game presser | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Smart and Hurley post game presser

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Interesting choice of words by Shaka, “But I think starting with that we have to play with more of a level of violence and toughness about us. They had that edge today.”
Shaka's been using that term for years. It's not meant as "intentionally hurt the opponent", but more a level of meanness and anger that the opponent is in your way and trying to take something from you.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Shaka's been using that term for years. It's not meant as "intentionally hurt the opponent", but more a level of meanness and anger that the opponent is in your way and trying to take something from you.
I think he used it 3 or 4 times in the presser yesterday alone. Seems a little weird to me, but whatever. Ton of respect for the guy when he's not on the court playing 6th man on D.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think he used it 3 or 4 times in the presser yesterday alone. Seems a little weird to me, but whatever. Ton of respect for the guy when he's not on the court playing 6th man on D.
It's just his way of saying toughness.

Reaction Score
“Violence” in this case is understood and it was interesting as he used it 3x. Coach Riley called it “force” in explaining the way his teams should play. He just means making sure you’re tougher making sure you hit first when going after rebounds, make sure you continue to body the guy you’re guarding through the play physically. I’m guessing he will be pushing the refs to the limits when we visit Wisconsin in a couple weeks based on yesterday.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Maybe violence is a poor choice of words but it means toughness per Danny! I like Shaka and hope he has a long career at Marquette. His Achilles may be recruiting but we’ll see

Reaction Score
I think about this from time to time. KO got us the 2014 championship. Would Shaka have been able to with the same players? We will never know.

But the big thing is if we had hired Shaka then we probably wouldn't have been shopping again in time to hire Hurley. And hiring Hurley is probably the second best decision ever made in this program.
Exactly my thinking. Shaka would have been a huge success here (as opposed to at Texas, IMO), but there's no guarantee he gets a title because that's super difficult. And we've had two since that potential hire. And I think Hurley > Shaka, so even if 2015-2022 may have been better in that alternative timeline, 2023-whenever Hurley retires is almost certainly better than the Smart timeline, and 2014 makes it even more worth it despite the terrible years we suffered.

Reaction Score
Alot of respect on both sides.

Smart was in my top 3 for taking over after calhoun

Reaction Score
Alot of respect on both sides.

Smart was in my top 3 for taking over after calhoun
Hurley has added advantage of his HOF father close to the program and at every game. He must get plenty of input from him. We have great coaches but I bet he helps him plenty.

Reaction Score
Hurley has added advantage of his HOF father close to the program and at every game. He must get plenty of input from him. We have great coaches but I bet he helps him plenty.
Dan has said a bunch of times, and Bob concurred, that they don't talk about basketball strategy much. Bob said he almost never gives advice unless Dan specifically asks for it.

“First of all, you’re a parent, so you’re supportive of what’s going on,” Bob said on Monday afternoon. “We watch every game that both play. I will offer advice when asked. I’m more apt to be asking about how my grandkids are doing, than whether they’re going to be changing defenses in a game, or changing the lineup. I think that’s more appropriate.”

“Danny’s more inclined to call Fran Fraschilla or Seth Greenberg than he is to call me over a basketball thing,” Bob said. “Just because he’s gonna see them a lot, and I’m viewed as being a very good high school coach, but I didn’t coach at the college level. If they ask me questions, I’ll answer what I think. But, it’s good to be dad and to watch the fun part and suffer silently when things aren’t going well.”

Bob Hurley Sr. talks UConn, his sons, Springsteen, Sinatra and some shady figures from Jersey City

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom