Smart and Hurley post game presser | The Boneyard

Smart and Hurley post game presser

Reaction Score
Shaka real good on his post game, impressive. Love what he said about AK.
I really like Shaka. I'm happy with the coaching transition from Calhoun has happened in the end. We have two titles and someone who I think may prove to be the best coach in college basketball right now.

But Shaka is very good and I would have been very happy hiring him (if the rumors back in the day were true) way back. He's a good coach and a class act.

Reaction Score
Great coach, but just needs to stay off the court during the game. Some people talk about his antics during a game, but Ollie would get in a defensive stance at times, too and it's not like Hurley looks like a statue on side either.

Cam had one moment today, when he had the ball and if he spun quickly to his left and drove 2 hard steps he would have forced a "T"call on Smart.

Reaction Score
I like the suit jacket with Husky t-shirt look. I think I'll adopt that style, perhaps a tweed or hunting jacket.

21:25
So, we're a 2 seed? <overall> Oh, yeah I don't give a .

Reaction Score
I really like Shaka. I'm happy with the coaching transition from Calhoun has happened in the end. We have two titles and someone who I think may prove to be the best coach in college basketball right now.

But Shaka is very good and I would have been very happy hiring him (if the rumors back in the day were true) way back. He's a good coach and a class act.
It worked out for all involved in the long run and I wouldn’t change anything obviously, but he was definitely my top choice back in the day. Feels like both programs ended up with the coaches that are perfect for them.

The 2014 title and $22M Shaka got from Texas made it pretty good for both parties in the short term too. Hope he sticks around at Marquette for a long time.

Reaction Score
I like Shaka and Marquette. They’re a really fun team to watch. I’m hoping they make it into the sweet 16 this year. Big monkey on Shaka’s back since that VCU run

Reaction Score
Coach saying he doesn't know who we play next. Well we have @ Creighton in 3 days lol. That'll be a tough travel and prep.
Shaka has the same mindset as Hurley as they both only seem to focus on the current game and claim ignorance on future games.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I think about this from time to time. KO got us the 2014 championship. Would Shaka have been able to with the same players? We will never know.

But the big thing is if we had hired Shaka then we probably wouldn't have been shopping again in time to hire Hurley. And hiring Hurley is probably the second best decision ever made in this program.

Reaction Score
Danny has a ton of respect for Shaka and how he runs his programs. They coached against each other in the A10 for three years when Shaka had his VCU teams at the top of the conference, and Hurley was trying to build URI from nothing into something. Dayton with Miller and VCU with Smart were the standard they were trying to get to then, and he talked a lot about doing things how they did, from university support to program culture. Kind of interesting that Archie has Dan’s old job now.

Shaka (and probably also Archie) is also a good example of fit being important in coaching. Texas was a mess for him, Marquette seems perfect. It’s a good lesson for any coach who’s thinking about making a move (not about Danny, he and UConn are perfect for each other and he knows it).

Reaction Score
Shaka is a class act. Danny knows he's goin' to Shaka's house in the next 10 days or so and will probably see him in the BE finals. And maybe in March Madness. So-He's playing it smart and not get over-the-top on the W.

Reaction Score
Danny has a ton of respect for Shaka and how he runs his programs. They coached against each other in the A10 for three years when Shaka had his VCU teams at the top of the conference, and Hurley was trying to build URI from nothing into something. Dayton with Miller and VCU with Smart were the standard they were trying to get to then, and he talked a lot about doing things how they did, from university support to program culture. Kind of interesting that Archie has Dan’s old job now.

Shaka (and probably also Archie) is also a good example of fit being important in coaching. Texas was a mess for him, Marquette seems perfect. It’s a good lesson for any coach who’s thinking about making a move (not about Danny, he and UConn are perfect for each other and he knows it).
I was listening to the ringer college basketball pod, and they started talking about Hurley to Kentucky and was prepared to get real mad at them (Kentucky and unc fan are the two hosts) however they finished the segment saying they think Kentucky has to call Hurley but he is gonna say no

Reaction Score
Interesting choice of words by Shaka, “But I think starting with that we have to play with more of a level of violence and toughness about us. They had that edge today.”

I understand no one should take the term "violence" literally, but it underscores the degree of physicality demanded by coaches in today's game. I thought sharing the ball, as evidenced by our assist total, indicates we play a rather pure game of basketball. Clearly he means a higher degree of toughness.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I watched both late last night. Lots of respect between the two programs. If Hurley were to ever leave, my first choice would be Shaka. Hurley was amped up in the handshake line and was chest bumping a Marquette player, which seemed odd. At least that’s what I remember from initially seeing it live. If I just got my doors blown off, an opposing coach chest bumping me might push me over the edge.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Interesting choice of words by Shaka, “But I think starting with that we have to play with more of a level of violence and toughness about us. They had that edge today.”

I understand no one should take the term "violence" literally, but it underscores the degree of physicality demanded by coaches in today's game. I thought sharing the ball, as evidenced by our assist total, indicates we play a rather pure game of basketball. Clearly he means a higher degree of toughness.

Intimidation might be a better word. We try to impose our will on the other team to prevent them from being comfortable and playing how they normally do. Marquette set a hard screen on Newton, early in the game and sent him to the ground. That is clean, tough, violent basketball, that sends a message.

Reaction Score
I was listening to the ringer college basketball pod, and they started talking about Hurley to Kentucky and was prepared to get real mad at them (Kentucky and unc fan are the two hosts) however they finished the segment saying they think Kentucky has to call Hurley but he is gonna say no
Andrea and Danny both have their family in the northeast. She has said before she doesnt want to leave New England.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom