Shows that were cancelled too soon | The Boneyard

Shows that were cancelled too soon

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think the golden age of television is about to give way to the age of "what are we spending all this money on" by the studios given Discovery Warner's (HBO's) financial problems. Before this list gets enormous, here are some of my favorite shows that ended too soon:

Boss (Starz) - first episode was amazing. First season was really good. Show started to veer off the road after that, but it was still disappointing that Starz simply gave up on it. This is the last time I ever watched a Starz show, because that network has a habit of bailing on promising concepts.

The Newsroom (HBO) - This show is the last time I ever watch an Aaron Sorkin TV show. The show had a great premise, and the first two seasons, especially the second one, were excellent. Then Sorkin got bored, and dumped out a lazy final season that looked more like a brainstorming session than a television drama. He jammed three seasons of topics into a 6 episode final season that was really 5 episodes of show and 1 episode of fan service.

Marco Polo (Netflix) - given the amount of crap Netflix produces, I am surprised that a show this good was cancelled for financial reasons.

Huge in France (Netflix) - a really solid comedy that I think could have been great with just a couple of tweaks. The second season was postponed by the pandemic, and then never happened.

Friends from College (Netflix) - a very good comedy. It was allegedly cancelled for "poor ratings", but Netflix puts out so much garbage that there is no way it was even in the bottom 80% of Netflix shows in terms of viewers. There were a lot of big names in the cast, so it may have been cancelled for cost.

Police Squad! (ABC - 1982) - TV in the 80's had a lot of pre-chewed, mundane nonsense, so it was not surprising that a show this weird and unique would get a quick hook. The show's concept went on to have a multi-movie franchise run that made Leslie Nielsen into a Tier 1 comedy star.

Hannibal (NBC) - this show should have never been on network television. It would still be going if it had started on Showtime, HBO or Netflix.

Freaks and Geeks (NBC) - the poster child of a network blowing it with a great TV show.

Others:

Deadwood (HBO) - I thought Deadwood was getting a little weird at the end, so I don't disagree with how HBO wrapped it up.

Game of Thrones (HBO) - the last two seasons should have been 10 episodes each. If Benioff and Weiss had done that, it would have gone down in history as the best show ever.

Silicon Valley (HBO) - I didn't want the show to end, but the last season was truly brilliant.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Police Squad! (ABC - 1982) - TV in the 80's had a lot of pre-chewed, mundane nonsense, so it was not surprising that a show this weird and unique would get a quick hook. The show's concept went on to have a multi-movie franchise run that made Leslie Nielsen into a Tier 1 comedy star.
I loved this show...you are right... it was different for it's time.

One thing though...Airplane! came out in 1980...wasn't that the true kick off of this genre?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I loved this show...you are right... it was different for it's time.

One thing though...Airplane! came out in 1980...wasn't that the true kick off of this genre?

Airplane! did kick off the genre (although fans of Kentucky Fried Movie would argue that was the first one), but I believe that Police Squad! was the only attempt to bring it to television. Once Top Secret was a hit, the Zuckers/Abraham alliance didn't bother with TV again. Naked Gun was a HUGE hit, grossing $152 million on a $10 million budget, and still paying residuals today as it is constantly on reruns. The two sequels also grossed over $100 million in the early 90's.

Reaction Score
Freaks and Geeks (NBC) - the poster child of a network blowing it with a great TV show.
This is number 1 for me. What a great and underappreciated at the time show. I think it was just too awkward for broad audiences but just perfectly encapsulated the high school experience.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The original New Amsterdam with Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. Terrific show, really clever. Maybe ahead of its time.

Firefly. Huge cult following and they brought it back, but cancelling it was dumb.

Daredevil. Underrated show that had a nice following. Charlie Cox became a bigger name later.

Mindhunter. This was brilliant. Maybe they ran out of serial killers.

Reaction Score
The original New Amsterdam with Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. Terrific show, really clever. Maybe ahead of its time.

Firefly. Huge cult following and they brought it back, but cancelling it was dumb.

Daredevil. Underrated show that had a nice following. Charlie Cox became a bigger name later.

Such a good show in it's 2 seasons

Reaction Score
Star Trek, the original series.

That show had a lot of life left in it as history has proven. The fact that NBC couldn't figure out when to schedule it or how to make money on it is a monument to corporate stupidity.

Reaction Score
I think the golden age of television is about to give way to the age of "what are we spending all this money on" by the studios given Discovery Warner's (HBO's) financial problems. Before this list gets enormous, here are some of my favorite shows that ended too soon:

Boss (Starz) - first episode was amazing. First season was really good. Show started to veer off the road after that, but it was still disappointing that Starz simply gave up on it. This is the last time I ever watched a Starz show, because that network has a habit of bailing on promising concepts.

The Newsroom (HBO) - This show is the last time I ever watch an Aaron Sorkin TV show. The show had a great premise, and the first two seasons, especially the second one, were excellent. Then Sorkin got bored, and dumped out a lazy final season that looked more like a brainstorming session than a television drama. He jammed three seasons of topics into a 6 episode final season that was really 5 episodes of show and 1 episode of fan service.

Marco Polo (Netflix) - given the amount of crap Netflix produces, I am surprised that a show this good was cancelled for financial reasons.

Huge in France (Netflix) - a really solid comedy that I think could have been great with just a couple of tweaks. The second season was postponed by the pandemic, and then never happened.

Friends from College (Netflix) - a very good comedy. It was allegedly cancelled for "poor ratings", but Netflix puts out so much garbage that there is no way it was even in the bottom 80% of Netflix shows in terms of viewers. There were a lot of big names in the cast, so it may have been cancelled for cost.

Hannibal (NBC) - this show should have never been on network television. It would still be going if it had started on Showtime, HBO or Netflix.

Others:

Deadwood (HBO) - I thought Deadwood was getting a little weird at the end, so I don't disagree with how HBO wrapped it up.

Game of Thrones (HBO) - the last two seasons should have been 10 episodes each. If Benioff and Weiss had done that, it would have gone down in history as the best show ever.

Silicon Valley (HBO) - I didn't want the show to end, but the last season was truly brilliant.

Arrested Development

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Arrested Development

If you are talking about the original run, then I agree with you. There were the Netflix seasons, which were good, and I felt wrapped the show up pretty well. I do wish they hadn't waited 7 years for season 4, and then 5 more years for season 5. I liked the first season 4 better than the recut.

Reaction Score
If you are talking about the original run, then I agree with you. There were the Netflix seasons, which were good, and I felt wrapped the show up pretty well. I do wish they hadn't waited 7 years for season 4, and then 5 more years for season 5. I liked the first season 4 better than the recut.

If you know the story behind the original cancellation it’s pretty sad. FOX had a gem on their hands and they couldn’t figure out a time slot.

It was probably too good for TV to begin with.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Loved Mindhunter. And especially appreciated their use of obscure music tracks. My personal favorite was the episode where they secured the grants and got in the elevator, all eventually breaking into grins to the sounds of Klaatu's "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft". The use of Zep's "In the Light" was great too.

Anyway, potentially good news on S3:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm gonna throw Netflix's "The Society" into the conversation. Cancelled after one season. Cliffhanger ending. I enjoyed it. Good cast of young actors (the women outshone the men IMO).

Reaction Score
Black Sails is a great series on Starz... as someone on one of the reviews said pirates done right.
If you have not watched this, I recommend it.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Black Sails is a great series on Starz... as someone on one of the reviews said pirates done right.

Wrong thread though. It wasn't cancelled too soon. It was quite good.

Reaction Score

Wrong thread but I completely agree that it was surprisingly good. The guy who played Captain Flint carried the show. Surprised he doesn't show up in more stuff.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This guy agrees with you about the last season....being a bit short.

Siv

Reaction Score
Netflix isn’t doing another season of Reboot. U hope someone else picks it up

I also would have liked a few more seasons of Blunt Talk which only lasted two years.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I grew into liking that show. Too bad.

That said, I'm furious they just cancelled Kindred after just one season. It was a pretty unique show as far as time-travel series go, and the lead actress was phenomenal. I was already on Ep5 when I saw the announcement on Monday it wasn't being renewed, watched the final 3 episodes anyway and two of the major story lines are left completely hanging. That last episode was a double cliffhanger, suggesting there was no way the producers thought there wouldn't be at least a second season. Somebody needs to step in and tie up the loose ends.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I also would have liked a few more seasons of Blunt Talk which only lasted two years.

It is Hulu is not doing another season, but it still sucks to see the show canceled. It was really funny. The producers are shopping it around so hopefully ParamountPlus/Showtime, HBO, Netflix or Peacock pick it up. It feels a bit like a Showtime kind of comedy, so that would be the best destination. Peacock would be crazy not to make a run at it since it has so little content right now. Netflix would ruin it.

Reaction Score
It is Hulu is not doing another season, but it still sucks to see the show canceled. It was really funny. The producers are shopping it around so hopefully ParamountPlus/Showtime, HBO, Netflix or Peacock pick it up. It feels a bit like a Showtime kind of comedy, so that would be the best destination. Peacock would be crazy not to make a run at it since it has so little content right now. Netflix would ruin it.
Didn't realize it didn't get picked up. It took a few episodes to find its touch. It started off a bit too much like the annoying sitcom it was trying to reboot. But it got really good and found its soul. Love the writer's room with Boomers and Millennials. My wife watched Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. I pretended not to like it, but Rachel Bloom is pretty sharp and the music with Adam Schlesinger of Fountain's of Wayne fame was pretty hysterical.

Freaks and Geeks is an obvious one, and the original Arrested Development. Both were ahead of their times. I mean, would Modern Family, The Office and Parks and Rec have worked if they came out when Arrested Development did? My family quotes Arrested Development more than all.

I did like the Netflix Marvel shows. Especially Jessica Jones and Daredevil. Punisher was pretty strong too. I know they ended early because Disney wanted the IP back, but they may have run their courses anyway.

Russian Doll (Netflix), especially season 1, was great. I haven't seen anything about it getting picked up for a season 3. Natasha Lyonne seems to be playing a very similar character in Poker Face on Peacock so that may mean Russian Doll won't be renewed.

Walking Dead.... just kidding. We loved it for years, but stopped years ago. That show was the proverbial beating a dead horse. Maybe the horse was a zombie.

Interesting about some of Nelson's other Netflix cancellations. There are definitely problems with the new age of streaming. First, their goal is now to have enough content (quality or otherwise) to keep you from cancelling. I think they're happy having just a couple quality offerings at any given time. I also find it impossible to go through all of Netflix's original content (so much of which is garbage) to find good options. Unless something gets noticed and gets publicity, it dies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom