Sheryl Swoopes on Clark | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sheryl Swoopes on Clark

Reaction Score
SO you were confused about the year like Swoopes. That was my point. Confusion versus providing misinformation. I get confused myself since the covid year thing was added. Not to mention that different conferences and teams use varying methods to state the player's year. Some will call a rs junior a senior. Or a grad student a senior. I didn't detect maliciousness.
He's not going on a show to talk about a subject, a subject that is supposed to be his area of expertise.

The maliciousness is her willing ignorance. If you're going to talk WCBB then at least do the research on the issues of the day.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
It's hard to think of a top women's basketball player who has disgraced herself more since she stopped playing than Swoopes. Check her wikipedia page. Honestly, I really don't actually care what she has to say about Caitlin Clark - there's probably 100 people on this forum with more qualified and informed opinions on the matter, including just about anyone who's watched a single game she's ever played...

Reaction Score
The essence of what she was saying is fine but the context in which she said is unfortunate. Note: The part at the end was embarrassing.

Anyone see parallels to what Coach Auriemma said recently about Big East transfers?

Reaction Score
Can I ask this? Why is Sheryl being given this new opportunity in the past three years to have a microphone in her face? She is a known abuser of players and was fired from a job because of it. Since, she's on podcasts like this one (bold face lying), all over the media, and on ESPN.

Sheryl isn't misinformed or confused. She is clearly lying, unprepared, and trying her best to downplay Caitlin and her accomplishments because......(fill in the blank).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's hard to believe there is this much...or any...confusion about a player as high profile and well known as Clark. But it is SO easy to fact check, there's just no reason for a goof like that.
Yeah, but it's not like she's going break out her phone and check it during this on air conversation, so though she's clearly wrong, I'm not that troubled by it. Now, the fact that she didn't retract this immediately afterward is a bad look.

Absolutely agree that she really should've been aware of Clark's circumstances if she follows the college game. As you point out, it's not as if Clark is a low profile player flying under the radar.

Reaction Score
The essence of what she was saying is fine but the context in which she said is unfortunate. Note: The part at the end was embarrassing.

Anyone see parallels to what Coach Auriemma said recently about Big East transfers?
The parallel I see is the recent Pivot podcast with Michael Porter Junior if anything. His misunderstanding of pay equity, along with comments that the women's game doesn't bring in fans or that the rims need to be lowered for the women's game was painful.

Reaction Score
Can I ask this? Why is Sheryl being given this new opportunity in the past three years to have a microphone in her face? She is a known abuser of players and was fired from a job because of it. Since, she's on podcasts like this one (bold face lying), all over the media, and on ESPN.

Sheryl isn't misinformed or confused. She is clearly lying, unprepared, and trying her best to downplay Caitlin and her accomplishments because......(fill in the blank).
This is a great point. It's a weird state of affairs in this new media world. I'm empathetic, as she is an all time great and has the sweat equity and time spent in the sport to seemingly have a voice. But at the same time to be that incorrect is strange, especially because I think she has an active role in wcbb media covering big 12 games. So it's a weird dichotomy. Everyone has their preference but id rather hear a fan\journalist who is invested talk about the game than a player who obviously knows the game of basketball but is not as obsessed. It's interesting.

Reaction Score
Anyone know if Kelsey Plum or Kelsey Mitchell received as much negativity/criticism as Caitlin Clark? What is driving that and the spread of misinformation?

Maya scored 3036 points in 154 games. 3 seasons with Tina and 2 seasons with Renee. If Caitlin pulled a Barry Sanders and walked away from Iowa basketball today, she would have played 31 less games than Maya. That is a full season for approximately 340-68 teams.

Go Caitlin! Go UConn!

Reaction Score
Meh. She clearly wasn’t paying much attention to Caitlin’s career. They did fact check though on the podcast so she didnt walk away from the conversation still thinking that Clarke was in a 5th or 6th year. This drives most of the points ppl don’t like from the conversation. Breaking the record and being older than most of her competition. The point about jacking up 40 shots was just hyperbole to say “she’s not taking that many shots as a rookie in the W”. She just said she won’t be doing what she’s doing in college immediately as a pro. Most people get the main points about what she said, but seems no one listened to or watched the whole discussion for their own clarity. I don’t know why people think she needs to apologize or walk her comments back. It’s still a terrible look to have the completely wrong perspective going in to the conversation, but it’s just round table talking about relevant sports topics. They aren’t out here claiming to be experts, they are just former players jumping on the podcast bandwagon

Reaction Score
LaChina Robinson taking on anyone who dares to criticize Swoopes on what she said is quite the take on X. Stamp those accomplishments on her forehead and she can say whatever she wants.

As fans of the NBA NFL MLB have long known, and fans of the W are now learning: just because you’re a great player doesn’t mean you’re smart or a good analyst.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
LaChina Robinson taking on anyone who dares to criticize Swoopes on what she said is quite the take on X. Stamp those accomplishments on her forehead and she can say whatever she wants.

Wow, just lost some respect for LaChina. So because an athlete accomplished a lot during their playing career, they can say absolutely anything they want and never get called on it? That is a TERRIBLE take. Who will be next up to put their foot in their mouth in this ongoing saga?

Reaction Score
As fans of the NBA NFL MLB have long known, and fans of the W are now learning: just because you’re a great player doesn’t mean you’re smart or a good analyst.
It is incredulous that people are trying to make the whole topic of the conversation about the record. It was not, and it is not like we havent seen many journalist on the men's arena get facts like that incorrect once or twice in their professional lives or arguments. The bigger issue is that she was discussing the progression of Caitlyn and Angel Reese into the league and for some reason, no one is to critque (notice i did not say criticize) Caitlyn Clark or her game without it being considered some form of blasphemy. Swoopes was telling her truth, which is based in fact. Ionescu and Plum were supposed to be transformational, but neither were that in their fist year or two and that is exactly what Swoopes stated in her opinion. She is not the only pro that has stated this fact. Also, she will have to be able to guard the guards and wings without getting cooked, with no allowance for the hang in the paint zone she has bacially played all of her college career. Caitlyn maybe able to get to all star status with her talent and skillset, but this "she will be MVP level" her first year is a reach. All this worship, may turn into what we have seen in the NBA, where pros go out of their way to attack her game on the court because they have been told she is the best coming in, ala Lonzo Ball, and even this year with the Victor Weymbena treatment.

Reaction Score

If you're going to show the tweet, include her follow up comments. Provide all the context versus snippets.

Reaction Score
I chose not to because her "context" added nothing to her original take in my opinion. Swoopes' comments on that podcast went beyond simply being factually incorrect.
Maybe to you, but others asked if she thought Swoopes didn't deserve to be corrected in response to your post. She clearly states that there was nothing wrong with that.

Regardless if it adds to your take, it's her full statement. Leaving that out leads some to assume because they didn't look further into it. Let them come to their own conclusions with all the information, not a snippet.

Reaction Score
Without an Ipad, Google, off camera statisticians, etc.these "professional" broadcasters would make the same factual error as Swoopes. Have at it, but some of you are acting as if she kidnapped the Lindbergh baby. Name ONE talking head that is factually correct 100% of the time?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Maybe to you, but others asked if she thought Swoopes didn't deserve to be corrected in response to your post. She clearly states that there was nothing wrong with that.

Regardless if it adds to your take, it's her full statement. Leaving that out leads some to assume because they didn't look further into it. Let them come to their own conclusions with all the information, not a snippet.
I disagree. The premise of Robinson’s point - it was simply getting a fact or two wrong - was off so her “context” seemed irrelevant to me. You can respond however you see fit as you did.

Reaction Score
I have no issue with her having her own opinion. I even agree with her point about fifth years not qualifying for records.

Was simply pointing out how ridiculous Swoopes sounds for stating Clark passing Plum shouldn’t count because Clark is using her extra year. Nearly everything she said about Clark was blatant misinformation. She also stated Clark “probably takes 40 shots a game” and that she’s supposed to be killing cause she’s “25 playing against 20 years.” I thought it was a little weird how she was making stuff up to discredit Clark’s game and accomplishments.
Clark will be the best player in the WNBA next year so maybe then Swoopes will waste time learning about her. Every team she plays is trying to do one thing, stop Caitlin Clark, and they are failing every night. She will do for the WNBA what Jordan did for the NBA and the ladies will finally be able to make some money playing BB.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I do believe that anyone who reports or comments on sports in various public media forums has an obligation to be prepared and do everything possible to get things correct. Swoopes made a number of points on the podcast as follows:

1. Both Clark & Reese will have to get used to playing in the W, and their immediate success is not a sure thing (Probably correct)
2. Clark is currently playing in her 5th (Covid) season and Plum only played 4 seasons (WRONG)
3. Clark takes more shots (40?) per game (WRONG, she averages just under 20. A lot of her scoring is from the FT line.)
4. Clark is older (25?) than Plum was. (WRONG again)

A couple additional points:

• While Swoopes was rambling on in her stream of consciousness, where were the 3 guys on the panel who sat there like bumps on a log. Didn’t any of them know anything about WBB?
  • I do agree that the 4 year vs 5 year records will create a “Roger Maris” effect in college sports.
  • For the record, Clark has played 123 games so far, 16 fewer than Plum

There has already been some talk about Clark breaking the all-time college basketball scoring record held by Pete Maravich. That discussion should immediately stop for several reasons:

• It serves no useful purpose to compare men’s and women’s records in sports where they don’t compete against each other. MBB & WBB are two different games and it demeans both to compare records and achievements.
  • As everyone should know, Maravich averaged an incredible 43 ppg over 3 seasons (freshmen were not eligible for the varsity). A few years back there was considerable controversy when Antoine Davis of Detroit Mercy looked like he might break Pistol Pete’s record. Playing in his 5th varsity season, mercifully :), Davis fell short by 4 pts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom