Sheryl Swoopes on Clark | The Boneyard

Sheryl Swoopes on Clark

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
No big deal. She's entitled to her opinion. And there are many examples of college play not translating to the professional level. Some, albeit few, catch up and adjust. Plum was great in college, but it took a lot of work to become a polished professional. And even the hs level translating to college is rough. Some players are good because they were the big fish in a little pond. They move up and lose that advantage and just aren't the same player.

Reaction Score
No big deal. She's entitled to her opinion. And there are many examples of college play not translating to the professional level. Some, albeit few, catch up and adjust. Plum was great in college, but it took a lot of work to become a polished professional. And even the hs level translating to college is rough. Some players are good because they were the big fish in a little pond. They move up and lose that advantage and just aren't the same player.
I have no issue with her having her own opinion. I even agree with her point about fifth years not qualifying for records.

Was simply pointing out how ridiculous Swoopes sounds for stating Clark passing Plum shouldn’t count because Clark is using her extra year. Nearly everything she said about Clark was blatant misinformation. She also stated Clark “probably takes 40 shots a game” and that she’s supposed to be killing cause she’s “25 playing against 20 years.” I thought it was a little weird how she was making stuff up to discredit Clark’s game and accomplishments.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have no issue with her having her own opinion. I even agree with her point about fifth years not qualifying for records.

Was simply pointing out how ridiculous Swoopes sounds for stating Clark passing Plum shouldn’t count because Clark is using her extra year. Nearly everything she said about Clark was blatant misinformation.
They may as well count it and call it a day. There are just too many variables to consider.

Reaction Score
Of course she’s allowed to have an opinion but she is spreading misinformation and lies, while also trying to detract from CC’s accomplishments. That, for me, is unacceptable to do to any player.

Regardless of an opinion, so much of what she said was just flat out wrong, factually.

Reaction Score
Of course she’s allowed to have an opinion but she is spreading misinformation and lies, while also trying to detract from CC’s accomplishments. That, for me, is unacceptable to do to any player.

Regardless of an opinion, so much of what she said was just flat out wrong, factually.
She obviously is confused with how many years CC has played. I think towards the end she realizes she may be incorrect and says ...I THINK. Her position is clear (and makes sense) and she simply believes if you break a record in college then that should cover an equal number of seasons. I don't know how she feels about Clark. Since Clark is approaching the record...who else would she talk about?

Reaction Score
She obviously is confused with how many years CC has played. I think towards the end she realizes she may be incorrect and says ...I THINK. Her position is clear (and makes sense) and she simply believes if you break a record in college then that should cover an equal number of seasons. I don't know how she feels about Clark. Since Clark is approaching the record...who else would she talk about?
I think it was obvious how she feels about Clark. Sure if she was just confused about the Covid year I think that would have been reasonable. She also stated Clark is 25 playing against 20 years old and takes 40 shots a game (which is also hilarious because she averages less shot attempts than Swoopes did). I understand her position and fully agree but using Clark as an example and spewing inaccuracies is disrespectful. I don’t personally understand having such a hard take when it’s obvious she has no idea what she’s talking about in regards to Clark.

Last edited:

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I get that people will have differing opinions. The fact remains, that Clark WILL break Plum's record (barring some unfortunate injury), and that WILL be in the record books. Having said that, I would not be disappointed to see an asterisk * next to the record stating something like "this final number was accomplished in 5 years as opposed to the traditional 4 years most college players had..."
No asterisk needed if she only plays 4 full years.

Reaction Score
I get that people will have differing opinions. The fact remains, that Clark WILL break Plum's record (barring some unfortunate injury), and that WILL be in the record books. Having said that, I would not be disappointed to see an asterisk * next to the record stating something like "this final number was accomplished in 5 years as opposed to the traditional 4 years most college players had..."

COVID is new. It's not like the NCAA record books have caveats now written into their "rules" to account for the extra years players get. Sheryl has a right to her opinion.

But in a way, also don't you have to account for players who have a medical redshirt, BUT were able to play 8 or 10 games in the year they redshirted? So they play 4 years PLUS the 8 or more games in the redshirt year? And what about players who are on teams who go deep into their own conference tourney and ALSO deep into the NCAA - do those players have to put a caveat on their "record" since they played more total games than someone else? Kind of a slippery slope IMHO...
Is that you Sheryl Swoopes?

Reaction Score
I think it was obvious how she feels about Clark. Sure if she was just confused about the Covid year I think that would have been reasonable. She also stated Clark is 25 playing against 20 years old and takes 40 shots a game (which is also hilarious because she averages less shot attempts than Swoopes did). I understand her position and fully agree but using Clark as an example and spewing inaccuracies is disrespectful. I don’t personally understand having such a hard take when it’s obvious she has no idea what she’s talking about in regards to Clark.
She clearly was confused.

Reaction Score
While I agree she’s entitled to her opinion, I’m not sure she was lying or just uninformed. Either way it wasn’t a good look. I love listening to Sheryl on her podcast as she’s pretty knowledgeable about the history of the W and all of its players.

I wish I could find Kelsey Plum’s answer when they asked her about the record. Kelsey said she hoped Caitlin handled it better than she did because she got wrapped up in it and so did the media. Said she had so much pressure on her as the #1 pick after all that went thru that year that basketball wasn’t fun. The difference is KP went to team that had nothing and everybody expected her to rescue that team. If CC comes out this year she will join a team that has some great young players. If she waits until next year she may not be so lucky. Selfishly I want her to join Aliyah in Indiana. I think that team would have everything in place to take off.

Reaction Score
I deleted my post cuz you are 100% correct. I just assumed this was Clark's 5th year. YIKES my bad! Ok back to bashing Swoopes LOL
SO you were confused about the year like Swoopes. That was my point. Confusion versus providing misinformation. I get confused myself since the covid year thing was added. Not to mention that different conferences and teams use varying methods to state the player's year. Some will call a rs junior a senior. Or a grad student a senior. I didn't detect maliciousness.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
It's hard to believe there is this much...or any...confusion about a player as high profile and well known as Clark. But it is SO easy to fact check, there's just no reason for a goof like that. And then to base a whole tirade around a wrong assumption. And then to act mad when people point out you are wrong, instead of saying oops my bad. Swoopes just looks really bad all the way around. I didn't even listen to the full clip, sounds like she went even further off the deep end.

edit--I'm not taking a shot @EricLA , this is entirely about Swoopes since she is the one with a podcast that was going off about something she was totally wrong about

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
SO you were confused about the year like Swoopes. That was my point. Confusion versus providing misinformation. I get confused myself since the covid year thing was added. Not to mention that different conferences and teams use varying methods to state the player's year. SOme will call a rs junior a senior. Or a grad student a senior. I didn't detect maliciousness.
I wasn't confused, I just listened to the interview and assumed Sheryl knew what she was talking about (ie. 5th year). For the record, I'd never go on some national podcast and start spouting off like that if I didn't have the facts in order. BUT yeah - my bad for assuming she knew what she was talking about LOL.

Having said that, took me 5 seconds to look up how long Clark had been in college. And I'm not even a rocket scientist LOL...

Reaction Score

Was simply pointing out how ridiculous Swoopes sounds for stating Clark passing Plum shouldn’t count because Clark is using her extra year. Nearly everything she said about Clark was blatant misinformation. She also stated Clark “probably takes 40 shots a game” and that she’s supposed to be killing cause “25 playing against 20 years.” I thought it was a little weird how she was making stuff up to discredit Clark’s game and accomplishments.
That's why I don't fall in love with stats. Anyone who has even a novice interest recognizes a good player. Having said that, I don't think she meant literally 40 shots, but instead let's say... a lot more than most, if not all. Now whether that's pertinent or not, it certainly isn't without merit and is something that is discussed (efficiency). Personally, as a fan and when it comes to record keeping, the 4 year comparison works for me. That's what I took from her commentary.

Reaction Score
The irony of the Clark-Covid discussion is that Clark lost games due to Covid. Iowa played 23 regular season games her first year due to Covid (excluding conference & NCAA tourneys), versus a normal 29 (Iowa played 29 the 2 years before Clark arrived and last year as well).

Iowa/Clark lost 3 games her second year due to Covid, with 1 made up with a different opponent, for a net loss of 2 with 27 regular season games.

So Covid cost Iowa 8 games during Clark’s first 2 years, which for her is roughly 200 points or a little more on average during those years. If she had those 200 points, she would currently sit at 3,662, with both Kelsey Plum and Lynette Woodard already in the rear view, with perhaps a chance at 4000 points in 4 years.

Reaction Score
Swoopes is one of those people who call to mind a certain famous quote by Mark Twain: “Better to remain silent ...”
Swoopes wasn't 'confused', she's just ignorant. Probably heard another treasure trove of reliability, Kim Mulkey, put out the 'fact' that CC puts up 40 shots/game. 5 years instead of 4 is just another instance of ignorance. Sorry, but this struck a nerve. I'm okay with her hating on Clark, but at least do your homework. Classic example of anyone in today's society with a bit of notoriety being an expert in anything they choose to comment on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom