Seton Hall Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Seton Hall Postgame Thread

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Every time I watch Paige shoot one of her mid range shots, I always reflexively think to myself. "How come more kids cant do that???" . Of course, I realize so much of the work and talent is done to get to places on the floor where the shots are good (easy) shots.

Geno said the most impressive part of Paige (besides her vision) is her ability to finish and the vast repertoire and she is always practicing her finishes.

Reaction Score
I know she’s young, but it’s going to be super hard to keep Paige off at least one of the All American teams.
Agreed! She could very well end up being like Maya Moore her freshman year and winning some major awards (Big East POY, 1st Team AA, etc.). It’s still early in the season, but she’s already shown what she can do and she hasn’t even reached her full potential yet. Looks like we’ll have an exciting 4+ years ahead of us!

Reaction Score
"Small chick" merits her own thread.

Fearless!

Reaction Score
Paige can break the perimeter defense & get off a mid-range jumper or a great pass if she's double-teamed any time she wants. Her skill level & basketball IQ are off the charts.
Agreed! It is only two games but her Usage rate was only about average on Her Hoops. Because she can make things happen, be it pull up mid range, take it to the hoop, a great pass etc., she should do it on her own more often.

I sense everyone is being a little hesitant and too unselfish, moving the ball around the perimeter, and when nobody gets a completely clean look after a while, dumping it into Liv. We often have three players on the court that are capable of penetrating a zone for a mid-range pull up jumper in Paige, Christyn, and Evina. I think we need to make the defense collapse around their penetration to open up 3's and passes inside, and all of those can hit that mid range shot as well.

I would like to see all three of those attack the defense more, and with Paige's gifts I want to see her with a way above average usage rate, and the ball in her hands to just make something happen more. In two games she was given the ball twice at the end of a period, with the clock running out to do it on her own. Both of those were very impressive finishes.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This is the only quote (from a writeup in the Athletic) from Bpozella after the game

With UConn coming into Tuesday with only one game under its belt, Seton Hall coach Tony Bozzella said he saw some inexperience in the team’s warmups but acknowledged that it’s a team with a “tremendous amount of potential.”

“They seem to enjoy themselves together,” Bozzella said. “They have a little bit more balance of size and shooting and athleticism than they have maybe in the past. They still need a few more games probably to be a little crisper and to get their legs under them. But I see a team that obviously it’s, you know, national championship potential without a doubt.

Reaction Score
"... But the big difference was Edwards. She will be starting over Liv before long..."

I certainly do not see that happening. It would take a lot more from Aliyah than put-backs and rebounding. She looked good in her minutes against Seton Hall but she was not seen as the offensive threat and collapsed on as was Olivia.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Are Mir and Aubrey twins. [ ] Geno say Mir can't name a UConn play and that is essentially where Aubrey finished her freshman year. Has anyone seen evidence that Aubrey is now able to fit into the offense? Not trying to be mean here. Just trying to understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Paige finishes around the basket like Kyrie Irving and that’s a 100% compliment. I believe there’s a video out there of her claiming she studies his "layup package" & it’s very evident. Also she sees plays ahead unlike any freshman I’ve seen. We’re in for a treat Husky fans!

I can’t say anything bad about Edwards, she might be our 2nd most important player since Liv isn’t a banger. Love her.

Reaction Score
Evina and Anna both have 7 asts. They played well but shooting needs to be better. Yes I am glad Evina's knee is OK.
I'm curious why some are saying Evina's knee is ok. I have no information one way or another other than in the first two games she often looked stiff and appeared at times to favor the knee. If so, would not be unusual for player just coming back. In any case, love to watch her play. Very smart player.

Reaction Score
[ ]

We are talking about a freshman and a sophomore, the first is still figuring out how this all works and the second is probably pressing to try to fulfill "sophomore jump" expectations everyone has for her.

They will get better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Agreed! She could very well end up being like Maya Moore her freshman year and winning some major awards (Big East POY, 1st Team AA, etc.). It’s still early in the season, but she’s already shown what she can do and she hasn’t even reached her full potential yet. Looks like we’ll have an exciting 4+ years ahead of us!
If her play keeps up she won’t be here 4 years.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why someone would rip Anna. She does little things all over the floor: steals, rebounds, assists, blocks, solid defense. Many times she makes a great pass, which leads to the pass that gets the assist. Whoever said she is a starter on the # 3 team in the country made a great point to support her.

As far as the AE vs ONO debate. I think AE will start very soon, as soon as she knows the system better. I don't see Geno playing them together right now. They played together for 1-2 minutes at the end of the first quarter against Lowell, and I think they were together against Seton Hall twice for maybe three minutes.

Someone said ONO bounces off opposing players, and opposing players bounce off of AE. Very true, great point. AE has an instant presence on the floor that can not be taught. It reminded me of a story from Nikita Khrushchev. (I am a history buff, not a communist.) In a motivational speech to soldiers in WWII Krruhschev told his soldiers when they are leading with their bayonet at night and they feel something soft you will rip through it. When you poke into something strong and solid your immediate reaction is to pull back and respect. He wanted his soldiers to be strong and solid.

Reaction Score
Replying to a quote that we haven’t had a player with a high motor in years. Yes it was sarcasm
I figured that, I should’ve looked at the previous quote before replying

Reaction Score
I think Aaliyah is just what the doctor ordered. However I don't think she'll start this year and here is why. Aaliyah has been amazing as the object of the offense but I have yet to see her be part of the offense and create offense. As long as Evina and Anna are making 5-7 assists and getting other things done they will still start and Aaliyah will be 6th man and a change up beast scorer off the bench in my opinion. I think she will very soon average starter minutes though in the low 20s.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Here's a shout out to Evina
I remember (many times) hearing Geno remark about sometimes shots don't fall...
But you can still make a big contribution with the other bits...
In the long highlight reel; Evina seems to be in the middle of almost every play...rebounding, passing, defending...a pretty sterling all-around game .

Bringing the ball up a lot...Is she the designated Asst point?
Except...
She couldn't hit the side of a barn...
Imagine if she would have scored 12 or 4 points to go along with the rest...
We'd be talking a whole lot about her.
And since we know that she can shoot...this game is probably an aberration.
Anna had some neat passes too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom