Seton Hall Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Seton Hall Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Park-Lane showed that we don't have a lock down defender in this group (yet). I think Anna played her as effectively as anyone trying to stop her man to man from what I saw. Once Nika learns what is acceptable to play defense in WCBB and her foot heals (and she doesn't force things) she may become that person. Right now it's obvious she's still figuring out how physical she can be and what she can and can't do on the floor defensively.

There was a stretch in the first half where it looks like they were out of sorts and were pushing too hard, trying to go too fast (it seemed like Geno was trying Evina at the point and Paige as the shooting guard and it didn't work so well). They looked like a really young team during that sequence. Still, the level of competition was higher and while there are still things that can be improved upon, I just can't get too upset about the level of play tonight.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Paige is amazing, I just can’t believe she is better than I would’ve ever thought.

A. Edward’s is a monster and only going to get better

CWill - played great, although still misses some wide open and layups.

ONO - played pretty well, but I don’t see much improvement from end of last year.

Evina - steady and does so many things for this team. Still hasn’t got her offensive confidence back yet but she is just so well rounded and you can see she’s got a great defensive mentality.

Mir - looked great with her limited minutes, great offensive rebounding ability.

Aubrey - was ok, she’s still too hesitant and loses some easy passes off her hands. I think she needs to just be aggressive and attack the rim or play the mid range jumper, which I believe she has

Muhl- she’s been worse than I thought, but I will give her benefit of doubt given adjustment and her foot injury.

Ana - was ok, I don’t think she improved much but she’s a shooter that can spread the floor and a must for our team given lack of shooters

Piath - you see the movement and her agility but is so raw

Autumn - glad she got it.
Great insight, ABCDE. I join you in your analysis of Paige. Isn't it great to find out that the product is as advertised.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I think we might see a lot of "the odd man out" scenarios this season. I think with so many options, Geno is going to have fun figuring out how many different combinations he can use and once a certain combination is clicking, he may stick with it for longer periods of time. So it may seem like there is an odd man out when it could just be that a certain combination is taking care of business.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It looked like Mir got benched. She showed a lot of frustration with some fouls and thevbody language went bad so she went to the bench and never returned. Teaching moment.

Depth gives the ability for teaching moments.
I was wondering what happened to Mir. I think she was annoyed at getting whacked.

Reaction Score
Next year's starters:
Paige, CW, ONO, Aaliyah and Azzi ....
That's scary but how about with this second unit!
Nika, Carolyn, Anna, Aubrey, Amari

And this third!
Autumn, ?, Saylor, Mir, Piath

Reaction Score
I was feeling my age, though. Every year the kids seem younger, and Chassion & Park-Lane looked like escapees from middle school. And Park-Lane was burning the Huskies.
Paige is 19, I think Nika is 19 or 20, Anna is gonna be 21, Evina is 22, they may be young in terms of college basketball experience, but not necessarily in age.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Autumn looked surprisingly poised for a walk on in her first game at UConn. Doubt she will get much playing time this year but seems like a positive addition to team.
Autumn nailed a jumper that was waved off based on a travel. But we have heard she's a good shooter.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That "small chick" from Seton Hall was one of the two best players on the floor tonight. Fortunately we had the other one.
"Small chick" merits her own thread.

Reaction Score
Anna has to think less and shoot more. She's an excellent passer, and she can hit the three, but she hesitates too often. Let in fly, Anna. Let it fly.
She is out of position at the four. As much as I like her game, she may be more valuable backing up the other three guards, with Alijah starting at the four. She is a total beast! Either Mir or Aubrey are totally serviceable giving sub minutes at the four when Liv or Alijah need a blow. Nika doesn’t look quite ready to play major sub minutes at the one or two, but that could certainly change by the end of the season.

Reaction Score
I have to also say..if I was a recruit watching Paige play I would be more than happy to commit to UCONN to have the chance to be on the receiving end of some of those passes and to play with greatness.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
First off I want to acknowledge the fact that this is only their second game in a very unbalanced season...

Evina - Still like the vibe she brings when she's on the floor and she's involved. She brings good perimeter defense and leadership even if the other aspects aren't there for here in the moment. Her success going forward all comes down to her continuing recovery and what consistency she can find by the time the tournaments begin.

Christyn - Happy to see her go 3-8 from outside. She's obviously super important to the team this year but I still don't see the player I saw her freshman year and I hope that fire hasn't mysteriously gone out. For instance I never thought a lanky freshman Paige (and thats not an insult, I myself fall into that physical category) would make Christyn Williams look timid when going to the basket but thats how I see it...

Olivia - Better game from her, also glad to see her hitting from farther away as well. She'll need to develop a better face up game with the frame she has. She'll never be a banger inside (like someone else is further down the list) but I do think she's showing more and more toughness and resolve when going to the basket. I know she's critiqued for her low post ability but I also just think that isn't really where she'd be best, she has a lot of mobility for her size and length, and Geno says she's a good passer. I think she could actually help to pull defenders (she's often double and triple teamed which when judging her ability to score down low I think should be taken into consideration) away from the low post (opening up channels for cuts and drives) while also suiting her skill set and body type. Doesn't mean she can't post people up in iso. situations but I think she'd be better served getting the ball higher up in the key and facing up or backing her defender down and then looking to pass. Compare that to trying to force the ball in where she gets instantly swarmed by the zone. All that being said I definitely wish her overall finishing ability were a bit better at this point.

Anna - Quiet game from her and I don't have much good or bad to say, but with COVID and it being so early into the "season" I'm not panicking. She's still the teams go to shooter at this point but that's subject to change.

Aubrey - I'm a bit disappointed to see Aubrey being knocked down the depth chart by freshman but it is what it is. I'm not sure where she fits into this team at this point other than a super sub who can rebound and play pretty good defense, there haven't been any flashes of an evolved offensive skill set which worries me a little bit. I still think there's a lot of potential I just hope it gets developed (into a slasher).

Paige - Soooooo Paige is indeed going to take us to the promise land whether thats this year or next I don't know but wow she is impressive. The height she got on that last second drive/and one really stood out to me, she's deceptively athletic a lot like the last great UConn player and yes I am already comparing her to UConn greats.

Aaliyah - She has the kind of physicality where players bounce off of her as if there's energy radiating off her. I don't doubt that she will have a banner with her name on it when her career is said and done. I hope she brings some tough out of Olivia in practice.

Mir - Definitely a hell of a rebounder and seems like a pretty good finisher/defender as well for her experience level. I'm interested to see how her freshman campaign progresses as I have more uncertainty with her than I do with the two above her.

Nika - I'm giving Nika a lot of leeway in terms of her acclimation considering she's from a very different culture to our own, she's a freshman, and she plays one of the more difficult positions to master at UConn. You can tell she's still feeling things out and settling in but once she does I think she'll be a solid piece this season.

Piath - Happy she sunk both her free throws even if one wasn't counted, definitely very very raw in terms of the fundamentals I'm hoping she can be at a good building phase by the start of next season.

Summer - I actually loved watching her the last few minutes she seems like she carries herself very well on and off the court and is just happy to be a part of the program no matter how much she plays.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom