Seattle Wins Breanna Stewart | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Seattle Wins Breanna Stewart

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
By my math, the Eastern Conference was 46-26 against the West this year, so I don't know that there's a talent disparity. Minnesota and Phoenix are great but it drops off pretty quickly after that. Granted Taurasi sat out, Parker sat out part of the year, and Diggins tore her ACL, so that played into it, but I don't think it explains all of that advantage.

Maybe he meant that there are more "star" or "name" players in the west as opposed to the east? Out west you have Parker, Taurasi, Griner, Maya Moore, Diggins, and now Stewart.... whereas in the east you just have DelDonne and ?????

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
isnt it crazy that some would suggest that... Loyd didnt want to be 2nd smh

She could have stayed in college to be second to Stewie, as national runner-up to UConn. :)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Maybe he meant that there are more "star" or "name" players in the west as opposed to the east? Out west you have Parker, Taurasi, Griner, Maya Moore, Diggins, and now Stewart.... whereas in the east you just have DelDonne and ?????

That's certainly true about star players.

Now I'm interested for my own curiosity - top two players on each team (this season)
NYL - Charles, Prince
CHI - Delle Donne, Vandersloot
IND - Catchings, Shenise Johnson
WAS - Meesseman, Latta
CON - Bone, Bentley
ATL - McCoughtry, Sancho Lyttle

MIN - Moore, Fowles
PHO - Bonner, Griner
TUL - Riquana Williams, Karima Christmas
LA - Parker, N. Ogwumike
SEA - Langhorne, Loyd (? there's no good 2nd choice for Seattle, everyone was kind of bad)
SA - Sophia Young, Jia Perkins

All in all, probably a better list for the West but SEA, TUL, and SAS have unimpressive lists. The difference, of course is that the West has a lot of "name" players (Augustus, Whalen, Taurasi, Dupree, Diggins, Sims, Lavender, Bird, etc.) that aren't on the list whereas the East has basically Chiney and Cappie as far as name players that aren't on the list.

Honestly, doing this exercise just underscores to me how ridiculously, unfairly stacked Minnesota and Phoenix are. Also, I think perception has yet to catch up with reality as to how good some of the East players (e.g. Vandersloot, Meeseeman, Bone) really are

Reaction Score
You have to put Tina in the group of stars with the others. She deserves to be ranked ahead of Diggins and Stewie because Diggins has yet to develope into the player that we all know that she will be and Stewie hasn't yet played a game at that level.

Every player entering the league has an adjustment period, and there is no way to know how long Stewie's will be. Charles is already a force(and a former MVP).

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And on this star scale where exactly are we putting Catchings?!

Fact is that the west had three very good teams and LA in the middle and then a bunch of junk. The East had the best team, and two other very good teams and three competitive teams. The West's two lottery teams combined for 18 wins, the East's for 30 wins - in fact the West bottom three teams only just surpassed the East bottom two 32-30.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yeah, most importantly, SA also has Danielle Robinson (who is relatively young). If Robinson can guard 2's, then a Jefferson/Robinson back court could be amazing. I do think Jefferson will be a better pro than Robinson, but probably not in her first year or two...

What about #2 (Jefferson) for Nneka Ogwumike? LA needs a real PG, and playing Parker/Ogwumike/Lavender together just doesn't cut it. Sophia Young just retired, so SA will need a 4.

If you're looking at that trade from a "fan" point of view, it might look good. If you look at it from a Los Angeles Sparks "General Manager" view point, it would be a horrible trade. First of all, the talent level is not equal. If L.A. trades Neka, they must receive a player of equal or better talent level in return.

Neka for Moriah would not be an equal trade. Neka is an established veteran and all star in the WNBA. Mo would be a unproven rookie that has a lot to learn and has to go through that period of adjustment to playing at the next level. It may take her a season or two to achieve her potential. The Sparks can't wait that long to receive dividends on a trade. Any trades they make must help them NOW. I doubt that Mo would help the Sparks right away to the extent of justifying that trade.

I doubt she would replace the point production Neka brings night in and night out. Neka of course would help the Stars right away. If the Stars were able to pull off that trade, Kayla McBride would volunteer to pick Neka up at the airport.

Of course SA would made that trade in a heart beat. The Sparks would be extremely foolish to make that trade. SA would also have to throw in an established 4 to sweeten that deal. I'm also a Sparks fan. IMO they need a dominant 5 like a Kelsy Bone, Sylvia Fowles or Tina Charles, AND a 15 ppg -10 rpg power forward.

Right now, the Sparks can not get to the finals with the team they have. They cannot beat (the top teams in the league) Minnesota or Phoenix in a best of 3 series. The Sparks are a good team, but not a championship team. Neka is a starter, and an extremely valuable player. Every team in the league would love to have Neka.

Don't look for the Sparks to trade her anytime soon; anymore than they would trade Candice Parker. Neka is part of their "core" group. Don't forget, she was the #1 draft pick when she came out. When the Sparks won the draft lottery that year, EVERYBODY knew who they were going to select. The speculation was who was going to be #2.

Whatever team drafts Mo will have high expectations for her. The team that drafts her will have need for her skill set. Some teams are "OK" at the point guard position, and thus have other needs at this time. A trade of this nature would put even more pressure on her to perform, and perform immediately at a high level on a consistent basis. That's a lot of pressure to put on anyone, regardless of the credentials and achievements they bring with them from college.

I'm biased in regards to Mo. She's my favorite player on the team. IMO, she'll do well wherever she goes. She's not going to loose her speed, ability to shoot and run an offense. Don't forget, she will have graduated from one of the best finishing schools in WCBB.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If you're looking at that trade from a "fan" point of view, it might look good. If you look at it from a Los Angeles Sparks "General Manager" view point, it would be a horrible trade. First of all, the talent level is not equal. If L.A. trades Neka, they must receive a player of equal or better talent level in return.

Neka for Moriah would not be an equal trade. Neka is an established veteran and all star in the WNBA. Mo would be a unproven rookie that has a lot to learn and has to go through that period of adjustment to playing at the next level. It may take her a season or two to achieve her potential. The Sparks can't wait that long to receive dividends on a trade. Any trades they make must help them NOW. I doubt that Mo would help the Sparks right away to the extent of justifying that trade.

I doubt she would replace the point production Neka brings night in and night out. Neka of course would help the Stars right away. If the Stars were able to pull off that trade, Kayla McBride would volunteer to pick Neka up at the airport.

Of course SA would made that trade in a heart beat. The Sparks would be extremely foolish to make that trade. SA would also have to throw in an established 4 to sweeten that deal. I'm also a Sparks fan. IMO they need a dominant 5 like a Kelsy Bone, Sylvia Fowles or Tina Charles, AND a 15 ppg -10 rpg power forward.

Right now, the Sparks can not get to the finals with the team they have. They cannot beat (the top teams in the league) Minnesota or Phoenix in a best of 3 series. The Sparks are a good team, but not a championship team. Neka is a starter, and an extremely valuable player. Every team in the league would love to have Neka.

Don't look for the Sparks to trade her anytime soon; anymore than they would trade Candice Parker. Neka is part of their "core" group. Don't forget, she was the #1 draft pick when she came out. When the Sparks won the draft lottery that year, EVERYBODY knew who they were going to select. The speculation was who was going to be #2.

Whatever team drafts Mo will have high expectations for her. The team that drafts her will have need for her skill set. Some teams are "OK" at the point guard position, and thus have other needs at this time. A trade of this nature would put even more pressure on her to perform, and perform immediately at a high level on a consistent basis. That's a lot of pressure to put on anyone, regardless of the credentials and achievements they bring with them from college.

I'm biased in regards to Mo. She's my favorite player on the team. IMO, she'll do well wherever she goes. She's not going to loose her speed, ability to shoot and run an offense. Don't forget, she will have graduated from one of the best finishing schools in WCBB.
Agree in principle, but ... just think about this equation: Sue Bird was the #1 player drafted in 2002, is a perennial all-star, a fixture on the USA national team, and 2 time WNBA champion. Moriah Jefferson likely will graduate from the same school as Sue, with better statistics in every category except for career 3FG% and 3FG totals - admittedly Sue lost most of her Freshman year, but that was likely to be Sue's worst statistical year, as it was easily Moriah's. Sue was named the POY in her senior year and Moriah will not get that accolade (partly because of a teammate) nor will she have 3 Liebermans but perhaps two. They both played their college careers with incredibly talented players who were/will be high draft picks in the WNBA. So ... do not sleep on the potential that Miss Jefferson represents nor the potential value a great PG can provide to a good team.

FYI - We see written and often hear that KML is the greatest three point shoot in the history of the college game, and she most definitely broke the record for the most 3 pointers made. But ... at Uconn Bird is the gold standard for 3 point efficiency in a career and for a single season - well last year, Moriah matched that yearly efficiency (Bird wins out by .001) - neither shot as frequently as KML, but if Moriah comes close to matching her Junior year as a Senior she will be second only to Bird for her career, and will blow both of them away for overall shooting efficiency.

Reaction Score
Alyssa Thomas, Kelsey Bonee, Angrl McCoughtry, Tamika Catching, and you missed probably the biggest in Tina Charles? Please,

Reaction Score
Ct Sun have C. Gray and J. Thomas as PG's would they want MoJeff? Does BY want MoJeff with AD?
San Antonio might want Danielle Robinson to pair with MoJeff as stated above!

Reaction Score
Should anyone think more or less of Loyd regardless of how much or how little being #1 entered into her decision? Not by my standards. Facts is facts though, she declared for the draft after specifically telling MM she would be back. What caused the change given no comment from JL is open to whatever observations and speculations people want to make. Loyd can correct that perspective anytime she wants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
. . . With only 12 teams I wish they would just eliminate the conferences. . . .

Without the conference scheme, and with each team playing a balanced schedule, this would probably
increase each team's travel budget. The WNBA is not a league with a lot of money to throw around.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Agree in principle, but ... just think about this equation: Sue Bird was the #1 player drafted in 2002, is a perennial all-star, a fixture on the USA national team, and 2 time WNBA champion. Moriah Jefferson likely will graduate from the same school as Sue, with better statistics in every category except for career 3FG% and 3FG totals - admittedly Sue lost most of her Freshman year, but that was likely to be Sue's worst statistical year, as it was easily Moriah's. Sue was named the POY in her senior year and Moriah will not get that accolade (partly because of a teammate) nor will she have 3 Liebermans but perhaps two. They both played their college careers with incredibly talented players who were/will be high draft picks in the WNBA. So ... do not sleep on the potential that Miss Jefferson represents nor the potential value a great PG can provide to a good team.

FYI - We see written and often hear that KML is the greatest three point shoot in the history of the college game, and she most definitely broke the record for the most 3 pointers made. But ... at Uconn Bird is the gold standard for 3 point efficiency in a career and for a single season - well last year, Moriah matched that yearly efficiency (Bird wins out by .001) - neither shot as frequently as KML, but if Moriah comes close to matching her Junior year as a Senior she will be second only to Bird for her career, and will blow both of them away for overall shooting efficiency.

Well said and researched. I would like to add that Moriah's 3 pointers, like Sue's seemed to come at key times and it does take nerves of steel to pull that off. But, having said that ... KML is UConn's Cool Hand Luke until she is dethroned.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Should anyone think more or less of Loyd regardless of how much or how little being #1 entered into her decision? Not by my standards. Facts is facts though, she declared for the draft after specifically telling MM she would be back. What caused the change given no comment from JL is open to whatever observations and speculations people want to make. Loyd can correct that perspective anytime she wants.
My thoughts exactly. Loyd announced her entry into the draft right after losing the NC to UConn. ( In a lackluster performance, I might add.) Perhaps she had already made up her mind, but if so, why didn't she tell her coach?

Reaction Score
Facts is facts though, she declared for the draft after specifically telling MM she would be back..

Where is this established? We have muffets side, but I don't see how that is credible. It's much more likely Jewell was very non committal to staying or going and let muffet interpret it to think she would stay. I've never seen a direct quote from Jewell before she declared saying she would definitely be coming back. So in addition to not knowing everything that factored into the decision, we also don't know what was actually said during any of the conversations before the declaration.

Reaction Score
Where is this established? We have muffets side, but I don't see how that is credible. It's much more likely Jewell was very non committal to staying or going and let muffet interpret it to think she would stay. I've never seen a direct quote from Jewell before she declared saying she would definitely be coming back. So in addition to not knowing everything that factored into the decision, we also don't know what was actually said during any of the conversations before the declaration.
Coach McGraw said she was shocked because Jewell had told her about 3-4 weeks prior that she was coming back. I don't see why Coach McGraw would make that up. You're not going to find a direct quote from Jewell if it was something she had said to her coach in private. It's not like the press asks every kid who has a birthday in a month that makes them eligible for the WNBA draft whether or not they are coming back. Like Coach McGraw said she was blindsided, and why would you not believe it considering when she found out (about an hour after the loss of the national championship game)?

Reaction Score
I don't think a coach like Muffets will lie.
I am a UConn fan. But I still have a lot respect to Muffets for her achievements.

Reaction Score
I wish I could quote the source but to the best of my recollection all of the conversation about upper class players and who was going to lose whom centered around UConn losing KML and Stokes and the Irish only losing I seem to recall Cable. Further commentary centered around the fact that both schools, in addition to having virtually everyone back they both had very good recruiting classes coming in. That aside I ask what does MM have to gain by twisting or parsing JL's position that leads you to question her credibility? And the flip side is if there was no truth in that assessment why hasn't JL come out to defend or explain her side? Just asking!

Reaction Score
I am a UConn fan. But I still have a lot respect to Muffets for her achievements.
Ask Geno about that... ("Let's just say it's not nice to fib during Lent.")

Reaction Score
Muffet lied about Nd not playing UConn that one year, blaming the lapse on UConn, so we know she likes to lie, especially during Lent.

I wish I could quote the source but to the best of my recollection all of the conversation about upper class players and who was going to lose whom centered around UConn losing KML and Stokes and the Irish only losing I seem to recall Cable. Further commentary centered around the fact that both schools, in addition to having virtually everyone back they both had very good recruiting classes coming in. That aside I ask what does MM have to gain by twisting or parsing JL's position that leads you to question her credibility? And the flip side is if there was no truth in that assessment why hasn't JL come out to defend or explain her side? Just asking!
Jewell doesn't need to defend her decision. She didn't do anything wrong.

I don't doubt that muffet thought she was coming back. . But there is a lot of room between a definitive direct statement to that effect, or something along the lines of she isn't thinking about it and is focusing on finishing the season. And we have very little information about this conversation, and it all comes from one side that has a particular interest in her returning.

You said facts are facts, but in this case we don't have them. The scenario you outline is possible, but has not been proven by any reasonable measure.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The idea that Jewel might leave came up around the start of the NCAAs and was certainly out there, and Muffet specifically addressed it that she would be back. No idea what passed between the two in private, but Muffet was genuinely surprised when Jewel announced she was leaving. Jewel had every reason to keep that decision quiet while the team was still pursuing an NC to avoid distraction, as did Muffet if she had known, and I don't think anyone knows when Jewel did finally decided.
I know it was a thought expressed here that Jewel chose to go pro because she would be the #1 pick, but I personally think that is a slightly snarky implication about a hugely significant personal decision that I am sure had many layers to it. Jewel recently expressed the desire to up the level of competition she was facing to more rapidly develop her game as a reason for turning pro, there is certainly a financial side (not just salary but endorsement deals as well), and there could be a whole bunch of other reasons. No one posting here I think has any idea what her motives were.

Reaction Score
Ask Geno about that... ("Let's just say it's not nice to fib during Lent.")
May be I didn't write enough. I mean Muffet will not lie for Jewell's case (no reason). As far as to Geno, well, we all know.

Reaction Score
Muffet lied about Nd not playing UConn that one year, blaming the lapse on UConn, so we know she likes to lie, especially during Lent.

Jewell doesn't need to defend her decision. She didn't do anything wrong.

I don't doubt that muffet thought she was coming back. . But there is a lot of room between a definitive direct statement to that effect, or something along the lines of she isn't thinking about it and is focusing on finishing the season. And we have very little information about this conversation, and it all comes from one side that has a particular interest in her returning.

You said facts are facts, but in this case we don't have them. The scenario you outline is possible, but has not been proven by any reasonable measure.
Just a little nit pick but once JL decided and contacted or signed with an agent raising the issue of MM's side of the story was peraps tainted because she "has a particular...." at that point she HAD no more interest, JL's eligibility was gone as far as I understand the rules. I could go back and reread everything I posted on this issue but I do not recall saying she did anything "wrong". I went back to watch the title game and in fact at the 1:10 mark the announce crew expressed the thought that only Cable was leaving ND and the rest would be back specifically including the AA Loyd. along with a strong class of freshman, And at no time did I least ever suggest she needed to defend her decision. The only question that any one is really looking for an answer to IMO is whether or not she suggested she was coming back, or did she outright tell MM she was leaving. Her reasons for the decision she made are not as far as I am concerned important to this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tmirm0279

Top Bottom