Seattle should persue Liz Cambage | The Boneyard

Seattle should persue Liz Cambage

Reaction Score
At home bored so I thought I'd throw this out there. The Seattle Storm should go hard after Liz Cambage. She is an unrestricted free agent and could be the piece that cements them as champs again. Stewart makes up for the fact that Seattle doesn't have a great true center. If a team like CT gets Jones back next year to play with Bonner and Thomas, even Stewie will need help. Yes, there is always a risk that adding any new player, especially one that good can effect chemistry and even style of play. She would have good reason to go to Seattle. West coast teams are closer to Australia (I can't see her playing on the east coast), she can play with Ezi Megbegor, a future national team member so they can develope front court chemistry as well as friendship, and she gets to know and see Breanna Stewart the player her country will have to figure out if they ever have a chance to beat the USA. Seattle has a history with Australian players. Mainly there best player ever had a very positive experience there. Who knows maybe Seattle hires Lauren Jackson as an assistant to work with the young front court duo. Keeping her away from LA, or going back to Vegas is also a bonus.

Reaction Score
You mention a “risk” that she’d affect team chemistry. They have really good chemistry, and I think Cambage’s effect on that is enough reason for Seattle to steer well clear of her.
Liz is a good player, but always about me. That's why Lauren never took an active role with her, but has with Ezi. Las Vegas was better without her.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
No thanks. !!!!!!! She may be a handful for opponents but she will self destruct and take her team down when it counts. Let Bully Ball Bill deal with her.

By the way, are the Storm supposed to be the development club for the Australian National team.

Reaction Score
At home bored so I thought I'd throw this out there. The Seattle Storm should go hard after Liz Cambage. She is an unrestricted free agent and could be the piece that cements them as champs again. Stewart makes up for the fact that Seattle doesn't have a great true center. If a team like CT gets Jones back next year to play with Bonner and Thomas, even Stewie will need help. Yes, there is always a risk that adding any new player, especially one that good can effect chemistry and even style of play. She would have good reason to go to Seattle. West coast teams are closer to Australia (I can't see her playing on the east coast), she can play with Ezi Megbegor, a future national team member so they can develope front court chemistry as well as friendship, and she gets to know and see Breanna Stewart the player her country will have to figure out if they ever have a chance to beat the USA. Seattle has a history with Australian players. Mainly there best player ever had a very positive experience there. Who knows maybe Seattle hires Lauren Jackson as an assistant to work with the young front court duo. Keeping her away from LA, or going back to Vegas is also a bonus.
Nope, not Liz.

Reaction Score
Have to admit, haven't really followed the WNBA this year but if you ask me, with the Storm winning it all this year, do they really need a Liz Cambage? . IMO, what Seattle should pursue, is a great point guard to replace Sue, when her time is up...can't be that many more years.

Reaction Score
Have to admit, haven't really followed the WNBA this year but if you ask me, with the Storm winning it all this year, do they really need a Liz Cambage? . IMO, what Seattle should pursue, is a great point guard to replace Sue, when her time is up...can't be that many more years.
I think they have their apparent heir to Bird, and it is Jordin Canada. Canada can play out of control at times, but has really improved. She has played a lot these past two seasons, sometimes splitting the minutes with Sue. She doesnt have the vision, but she is a better defender and penetrator than Sue. Different style of PGs

Reaction Score
Granted she's kind of annoying but pursue her? Seems a little harsh but this is the boneyard, after all.

HGN

Reaction Score
Could this be an opportunity for The Storm to improve its Offense by playing good Defense? By signing Cambage to keep her away from LV or The Sparks. Liz Cambage may be toxic to some teams chemistry in the traditional sense , but could bring just enough size, rebounding , and scoring to offset any negatives.

Just a thought.

Reaction Score
In general I think Liz is a very good player with her share of quirks that are mostly downside. Whatever team she plays on has significant issues trying to incorporate her game with everyone else's. That was true with Las Vegas last year. Some said before the season that Aja and Liz might have games that get in each other's way, and at least the first year that was largely true.

The Aces were better because they replaced a mediocre center with an all star, but neither Liz nor Aja was as good as the year before that. In addition as a team lacking 3 pt shooting they were not able to compliment the bigs down low.

This year Aja had more room to operate and it showed. But let's not get crazy here, even with some flaws, the Aces with Liz at center is much better than with Swords. The principle reason the Aces did better than expected
this year was the aquisition of Angel, and to a lessor extent Robinson.

Two years ago the Aces had huge holes in the starting lineup at C and SF. In successive years they filled those with stars in Liz and Angel. If Liz signs again the bigs will need to get more used to playing together and try to improve chemistry, and getting Plum back for perimeter shooting should help, how well year two of twin towers would work who knows, but I think some improvement over the first pairing is likely.

As for Seattle, as the team with perhaps the best chemistry now, maybe the possible chemistry issues are more of a concern. Having said that Liz and Stewart could probably coexist better than Liz and Aja because of Stewart's more versatile perimeter game.

Regardless any team that does not have a significantly improved roster by next season, will probably be worse and potentially by a big amount. The reason is clear, between virus sit-outs, and injuries to major stars, next season will have a bigger increase in talent than the league has ever seen. This year had the least talent in the league's history. The incoming talent will not be dominated by rookies that need to learn the ropes, where only a few have major impact. Rather it will be a number of experienced stars and superstars returning to action.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The first thing Cambage would do on a Stewie team is think she should be shooting as many 3's and is a better shooter (and player). :rolleyes:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Seattle thrives in transition and both of their starting post players are very mobile on both ends of the floor. Cambage just wouldn't fit with their style. Howard doesn't need a lot of touches to be fairly productive. I don't think Cambage is in that same mold.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I agree with you. There is no needed to pursue an egocentric player for a sharing and caring team chemistry.

asuwish, no doubt you've had some good ideas, this is not one of them!! The responses to your comment bare this out. IF by some quirk of circumstance, the Storm were to acquire Cambage, team captain Sue Bird would pull her aside and get her "straight" (put her in check and let her know what time it is) her first day at team practice. ;)

Chemistry is a very delicate commodity. Its hard to achieve and maintain, and can be dissolved/disrupted by a single player. :confused: Sue (and her teammates) are not going to allow or put up with a " it's all about me" type of attitude from any teammate on her watch.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think it's an interesting idea, but one of those that falls under "look for talent regardless of how it fits in to your system, or how it might affect chemistry". Frankly, they already have Howard, Magbegor and Russell. Mercedes has improved a lot, and is an excellent back up center. If you get a quality big like Jonquel Jones, or Cambage, or McCowan etc. who do you bench?

Seattle starts Bird, Loyd, Clark, Howard and Stewart. Granted Howard wasn't stellar the entirety of this past season, but that's the best starting 5 in the WNBA. Once Bird retires, they will either need a starting PG, or if they start Canada, a backup PG. Something for them to think about either in trading or drafting.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
A big question mark for foreign players and the WNBA will be the Tokyo Olympics now scheduled for July 2021 and the next FIBA World Cup scheduled for Sept-Oct 2022 in Australia. As national teams (Belgium and Australia specifically) prepare for 2 huge international tournaments in back-to-back years we could see players (Meesseman, Cambage, Magbegor) choosing to pass on some or all of the next two WNBA seasons.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
dont-be-that-guy-dorm-edition.gif

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
What did Stewie (or was it Sue) say...We're chill.
The idea of Liz (the anti-chill) is attractive from a pure positional perspective
But it makes no sense at all if one considers team chemistry.

I had always hoped that Seattle would acquire Moriah.
She's had a tough W start, can't seem to stand up to the physical rigors.
But she's still young, would respond to the wonderful coaching.
Perhaps, she can resurrect her career there.

Reaction Score
I think Seattle needs to look for a big combo guard who can be behind Lloyd but also run the offense if Sue needs a rest or gets an injury so they have more than just Canada. As far as the center position, Liz would not fit the offense at all. They need a more mobile big but this coming draft is going to be slim pickings. Maybe Mompremier. Not sure there is room for her when Jones comes back. Maybe they can do another sneaky move and draft the Finnish girl like they did Ezi.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom