SC goes down! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SC goes down!

Reaction Score
It’s not that SC is so good it’s are there enough other teams good enough to keep it close to the end of the game. SC folds like a cheap suit with pressure. Look at what happened on the final play in the semi final against Stanford last year. Kind of like the UConn syndrome the last few years before Paige. You aren’t used to being in down to the wire games. Geno didn’t even look like the same confident coach at the end of Miss St. Collier felt it. It was not something that team had enough experience with.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For the SC fans: what happened to Zia Cooke's shot? I thought she'd turned the corner last year.
Pressure. Couldn’t put the ball in the hole when it counted. Same reason L’ville lost to Miami. Missed uncontested open looks in final minute. Players feel the added pressure. Very common.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For the SC fans: what happened to Zia Cooke's shot? I thought she'd turned the corner last year.
Is Kentucky this years Arizonia? Where does SC hang this years we almost won the SEC tourney banner? Just curious.
No Arizona limped into the NCAA tourney and caught momentum each game. Barnes said she had no feel for how her team was going to respond going into the tournament. She was very concerned. Kentucky is red hot going in. Won’t catch anyone by surprise.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pressure. Couldn’t put the ball in the hole when it counted. Same reason L’ville lost to Miami. Missed uncontested open looks in final minute. Players feel the added pressure. Very common.
Was talking more so about her season-long shooting. Down to around 35 per cent.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
sweaty palms are a very real thing.
thought bubble over a huskies head:
'i can do this. im a top player playing at the top program which constantly wins championships. i can do this.'
thought bubble over an angry birds' head:
'i think i can becuz i .... wait, what was i thinking? is my lace unraveling again? i really should double knot them...'

Reaction Score
It’s not that SC is so good it’s are there enough other teams good enough to keep it close to the end of the game. SC folds like a cheap suit with pressure. Look at what happened on the final play in the semi final against Stanford last year. Kind of like the UConn syndrome the last few years before Paige. You aren’t used to being in down to the wire games. Geno didn’t even look like the same confident coach at the end of Miss St. Collier felt it. It was not something that team had enough experience with.
I think what has happened to SC is that pressure to win takes over the joy in winning. we will see how it goes. This is still an incredibly gifted team and is 2 made buzzer beaters away from being undefeated. we’ll see how it goes. Should be a fun tournament.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While SC’s basic strategy of tough defense, pound the ball inside and crash the boards has been a dependable recipe for victory this season, there is also a risk for the Gamecocks that manifested itself yesterday. SC wins tight, low-scoring games. Run into a team on a roll, with a hot shooter or two, a team like KY, or a team like any one of a number of potential opponents in the Big Dance, and SC is ripe for an upset.

Dawn is a great coach. But I don’t know if she has built a versatile team capable of reacting to anything opponents throw at SC. When I see a lineup with 3 players all 6’4” or better on the court at the same time, it’s pretty damned intimidating. But it lacks the ability to spread the floor, push tempo or guard the perimeter. It also puts a ton of pressure on SC’s 1-2 guards to hit their shots, feed the posts and make plays.

SC may still win it all this year. But as yesterday’s game vs KY clearly demonstrated, the Gamecocks are most assuredly vulnerable to another upset during the Big Dance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pressure. You hit the nail on the head....and, it's when true superstars shine - Jordan, Bird, Taurasi & Moore (yep, Stewie as well), just to name a few!

Reaction Score
Dawn is a great coach.
Enjoyed your observations Old Dude and agree wholeheartedly. I believe, however, that this loss falls on Dawn's shoulders. SC had a 12-pt. lead at the end of the third and failed to adjust to a hot-shooting Dre'una Edwards. The 21 fourth quarter points given up by a reputably strong defensive team is more concerning than their cold shooting. Good defense should be a constant and enable you to hang in there when the shots aren't dropping.
Voepel's brief summary piece on the ESPN site avoids commenting on this and simply cites Dawn's remark "... It's the fact that we give up 21 points in the fourth quarter. We've (my emphasis) got to go back and see where our defense is failing us."
Dawn did graciously give credit to Kyra Elzy and a hot Kentucky team.

Last edited:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
From an article in The Athletic - How Kentucky rebuilt its season to beat No. 1 South Carolina for SEC title

"Edwards knocked down a 3, assisted by Jazmine Massengill, for the game’s final score. As Edwards’ shot went up, Howard said it felt like a sports movie, when time slows down and everything but the ball and the hoop fades out of focus. Without a timeout, South Carolina couldn’t draw up a play and was left with a final two-point deficit."

Said to my hub and maybe somewhere on this board, how does a coach not prep a team for multiple things happening? The decision tree hinged on those last 2 free throws -
  1. make both, up by 3, play defense, give the 2 or 3 (?) fouls to eat up the clock
  2. make one, up by 2, same as above, use the fouls to give
  3. miss both, up by 1, use the fouls (did they try and miss?)
  4. If KY makes either a 2 or pt shot, have a inbound plan to advance the ball and force them to foul
Dunno. I cannot imagine being a player in this situation but still seems that they were unprepared for the final minute.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
…yes. This has happened many times before. Both Notre Dame and Mississippi State in 2018; Louisville in 2019.
Did not those teams lose in the conference tournaments to ranked highly seeded teams?

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
While SC’s basic strategy of tough defense, pound the ball inside and crash the boards has been a dependable recipe for victory this season, there is also a risk for the Gamecocks that manifested itself yesterday. SC wins tight, low-scoring games. Run into a team on a roll, with a hot shooter or two, a team like KY, or a team like any one of a number of potential opponents in the Big Dance, and SC is ripe for an upset.

Dawn is a great coach. But I don’t know if she has built a versatile team capable of reacting to anything opponents throw at SC. When I see a lineup with 3 players all 6’4” or better on the court at the same time, it’s pretty damned intimidating. But it lacks the ability to spread the floor, push tempo or guard the perimeter. It also puts a ton of pressure on SC’s 1-2 guards to hit their shots, feed the posts and make plays.

SC may still win it all this year. But as yesterday’s game vs KY clearly demonstrated, the Gamecocks are most assuredly vulnerable to another upset during the Big Dance.
Great, word too often used when not earned, yet.

Reaction Score
SC loss didn't surprise me. They are the better team...just not yesterday. TBH...they looked tired and down. If they place too much on that loss...they will lose again. Just say...next. Couple of observations regarding Amihere. She's been used so many different ways that she doesn't seem settled in any of them. Best defense against her...is make her a jump shooter.

Reaction Score
SC loss didn't surprise me. They are the better team...just not yesterday. TBH...they looked tired and down. If they place too much on that loss...they will lose again. Just say...next. Couple of observations regarding Amihere. She's been used so many different ways that she doesn't seem settled in any of them. Best defense against her...is make her a jump shooter.

Interesting observation. Usually being able to play multiple positions is a good thing. There were some times when she was coming up the court with the ball, I didn't understand her decision making yesterday.

Reaction Score
Interesting observation. Usually being able to play multiple positions is a good thing. There were some times when she was coming up the court with the ball, I didn't understand her decision making yesterday.
Basketball skill development it's definitely a plus. I just thought that as her role changed in the offense...she wasn't sure about which of those skills to emphasize and where to be on the floor.

Reaction Score
Either you are very observant, or you have been listening to Dawn's press conferences. She admitted multiple times to the fact she has used Amihere to the point where she cannot get comfortable at a particular position.

Reaction Score
Either you are very observant, or you have been listening to Dawn's press conferences. She admitted multiple times to the fact she has used Amihere to the point where she cannot get comfortable at a particular position.
lol...I don't do press conferences, preshows, or watch most games with the sound on. Sometimes I will rewatch a game and just take notice of the reactions and postures on the bench. They tell you more than Twitter and rehearsed answers in front of the camera. Not that Amihere smiles a lot, but she looked frustrated on the bench and me being the King of OCD tried to figure the why. lol My latest tool is the skycam view of the games on ESPN. I wouldn't watch an entire game this way, but the views give you an idea of the physicality of these games...AND a better feel for how far players are spaced apart. The views are limited though...some far corners aren't visible and when someone is at the free-throw line...you see the basket or the shooter, but not both.

Reaction Score
lol...I don't do press conferences, preshows, or watch most games with the sound on. Sometimes I will rewatch a game and just take notice of the reactions and postures on the bench. They tell you more than Twitter and rehearsed answers in front of the camera. Not that Amihere smiles a lot, but she looked frustrated on the bench and me being the King of OCD tried to figure the why. lol My latest tool is the skycam view of the games on ESPN. I wouldn't watch an entire game this way, but the views give you an idea of the physicality of these games...AND a better feel for how far players are spaced apart. The views are limited though...some far corners aren't visible and when someone is at the free-throw line...you see the basket or the shooter, but not both.
Amihere rarely smiles but Cardosa smiles all the time.

Reaction Score
I think what has happened to SC is that pressure to win takes over the joy in winning. we will see how it goes. This is still an incredibly gifted team and is 2 made buzzer beaters away from being undefeated. we’ll see how it goes. Should be a fun tournament.

Very good observation. The media has a habit of anointing the national champion in November.

Reaction Score
A poster on the UConn board raised an interesting question. Can a team that IS NOT an automatic qualifier be a 1 seed? :eek:

I don't really understand how a human being that follows basketball could think being an AQ is a requirement for being a 1 seed.

South Carolina has the same vulnerability it began the season with and that it had last year. It gives major minutes at two positions to players that can't consistently score.

That's who this team is. Most nights it doesn't matter because it's dominant defensive and rebounding team.

It's absolutely going to be a reason they lose if they lose.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's just me, but I think this loss only galvanizes this team going forward. I had SC winning the NC before today. I still do. This loss only hurts their pride and ego.

They will still be a one seed. They’ve got a maximum of 6 games left in their season. I say they take one game at a time. Assume nothing and take nothing for granted. I think the championship is theirs to lose. I first made this observation at the beginning of the season.
Honestly I think that L will end up being a good thing. They'd been trending towards sloppy 4th quarter play for a while. Collapsed in the 4th vs Ole Miss the day before. Pretty certain that loss slapped them back into reality and they'll be motivated for the NCAAT. Kentucky was on a mission. I truly believe they'd have beat anyone they played yesterday. I'm happy for them. That team has grit and no quit in them. It hurt like a b*tch to lose but I can't be mad about it. They earned it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom