SC goes down! | The Boneyard

SC goes down!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Thought this game deserved its own thread. Wow, what an incredibly gutsy win by Kentucky. They led for a grand total of 14 seconds and trailed by 12 entering the 4th but found a way to comeback and win. Outscored SC 21-7 in the 4th. Dre Edwards had the last 7 points and was incredibly tough down the stretch. She took Boston off the dribble and got her shot swatted out of bounds, only for her to take it right at her the next 2 possessions and get 2 huge buckets. Talk about being fearless.

Breaking down the game/end of game:

1. SC stopped executing offensively and didn't score in the last 5 minutes. Missed a lot of shots and didn't look confident down the stretch. Kentucky was aggressive and making plays.

2. Zia Cooke was having a very nice game but really struggled down the stretch and missed 2 massive free throws.

3. Huge mistake by SC to not use all 4 of their fouls. Saxton should've fouled the KY player outside the 3 point line. They had 11 seconds and 3 more fouls to burn. Use them in that situation!!

SC is still the team to beat but they are vulnerable against good teams if Boston doesn't get help. Today Boston was 9-18 and her teammates shot 13-48. Usually 1-2 other players step up and produce, but today that wasn't the case. Cooke was excellent through 3 quarters but was just bad in the 4th. Henderson didn't have a strong game, and the supporting cast of Saxton, Beal, Cardoso, Amihere and Grissett didn't produce either. This is probably a big wake up call for SC, although I didn't feel like they needed one since they've been soundly beating everyone.

As for Kentucky, they're one of the hottest teams entering the NCAAs. 10 straight wins, 4 wins in 4 days including wins over LSU, Tennessee and South Carolina. Happy for Elzy and her players to see they've righted the ship. Good luck to whoever gets them as a #6 or #7 seed.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
KY outscored SCar 21-7 in the 4th. I mean, what the heck! But the clear formula to beat SCar is play their tiny guards aggressively and take advantage of them in their defensive end. Most try, few succeed.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Ok, we only caught the end of the game as we were trying to catch up with UConn game on tape delay. It didn't seem that SC was prepared for if/when KY either tied or went ahead, Boston hesitated to do the inbound, and the guard trying to advance the ball with 2 defenders in her way didn't help?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A poster on the UConn board raised an interesting question. Can a team that IS NOT an automatic qualifier be a 1 seed? :eek:

Reaction Score
Sometimes a team can just rely on being more talented even when they aren't as focused. There's a lot of pressure being on top so maybe some of that was released with this loss. Besides...end of game mismanagement loss this game more than anything.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
As for Kentucky, they're one of the hottest teams entering the NCAAs. 10 straight wins, 4 wins in 4 days including wins over LSU, Tennessee and South Carolina. Happy for Elzy and her players to see they've righted the ship. Good luck to whoever gets them as a #6 or #7 seed.
I was just thinking about this, imagining the UConn fans' reaction if, say, Kentucky gets sent as the #7 seed to wherever UConn is the #2.

The last similar case I remember is the 2017 West Virginia team, which entered the Big 12 tournament as a bubble team and then, with some truly epic performances by a sophomore named Tynice Martin, tore through everyone including Baylor to seize the automatic bid. IIRC they were seeded #6 but lost rather anticlimactically to Maryland in the 2nd round. (Maryland would then be upset in the next round by Oregon.)

Carnac

Reaction Score
Question already answered, but how nonsensical would it be for a team who was #1 wire to wire to not get a #1 seed?
I’ll ask the poster who posed the question. I’m just the middle man on this one.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I’ll ask the poster who posed the question. I’m just the middle man on this one.
Results of conference tourneys obviously have an effect on seeding, but it doesn't negate what happens throughout the regular season.

Carnac

Reaction Score
give her a lot of credit, no sore loser or sour grapes. She knows that Kentucky was the better team Today, will be interesting to see how this Sc wbb team that's going to play mad in the tournament does.
Maybe it's just me, but I think this loss only galvanizes this team going forward. I had SC winning the NC before today. I still do. This loss only hurts their pride and ego.

They will still be a one seed. They’ve got a maximum of 6 games left in their season. I say they take one game at a time. Assume nothing and take nothing for granted. I think the championship is theirs to lose. I first made this observation at the beginning of the season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom