SC Gamecocks 2023-2024 in season thread | Page 16 | The Boneyard

SC Gamecocks 2023-2024 in season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The team's free throw shooting has been pretty bad. But in keeping with Dawn's theme of this being the worst the team will look this season, one can use our recent improvements in FT shooting in support of Dawn's position:

South Carolina came into it's game with UNC shooting 60-98 (.612) in its first 5 games of the season. The Gamecocks had averaged 100.4 ppg through those games and had beaten those 5 by an average of 51.6 ppg, so perhaps concerns about poor FT shooting were not at the forefront. But we all knew that those blowout results were not going to continue through the conference and postseason play.

In the last 4 games, South Carolina has shot 56-80 (.700) at the charity stripe, so it looks as if the team is beginning to improve on those numbers. Further, of those 4 recent games, the Gamecocks shot 31-41 (.756) in the 2nd halves of those games, where the scores would be more critical relative to final results. So overall, they have improved their FT shooting as a team from .612 to now 116-178 (.652) - still not the best efficiency, but definite improvement. Hopefully it continues moving forward........

There were three (3) games versus Clemson, South Dakota State and Mississippi Valley State were the team shot especially poorly at the FT line: just 35-60 (.583), which accounts for most of the poor stats on that category. Minus those 3 games, the Gamecocks have shot 81-118 (.686) in the other 6 games. AGAIN, not eye-popping examples of efficiency, but when you consider the team's past FT shooting in previous seasons:

2022-23: .689
2021-22: .676
2020-21: .682
2019-20: .698
2018-19: .730

2018-19 was one of Coach Staley's better FT shooting teams, and it was also one of her worst teams since Kelsey Bone left the program. So again hopefully, that 3 game stretch was more of an anomaly than the rule, and the team shoots better at the line moving forward....

:)
Thx for that research Conway, much appreciated and spot on.

Reaction Score
Dawn said..."that is the worse we are going to be and it's just December.." tells you all you need to know about this young group. They are going to get better ? Geez.....
I am trying to find where she (DS) said this..above

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks. Saw it mentioned from another also but did not see a postgame presser.

Because the AD didn't upload it as far as I can tell.

Unusual for the women because someone on staff or assoc AD really cares about their job.

Not so unusual for the men.

Reaction Score
This team will only get better, but what has impressed me the most is how well this young team has played under pressure. Dawn has used at least 10 players in every single game. They are getting their feet wet as we go.

Reaction Score
Because the AD didn't upload it as far as I can tell.

Unusual for the women because someone on staff or assoc AD really cares about their job.

Not so unusual for the men.
If you go back and look at the post game handshake line. The Carolina SID asked Coach DS a question where DS mouthed the word “no”. Maybe thats it- reason for no upload.

Reaction Score
This team will only get better, but what has impressed me the most is how well this young team has played under pressure. Dawn has used at least 10 players in every single game. They are getting their feet wet as we go.
What I like is the freshmen are all getting playing time that is NOT merely mop up.

Milaysia is getting plenty of first half minutes. Tessa is getting some too and even started. She and Milaysia have both been high scorers in a game. sahniua Jah is getting some ( though fewer) first half minutes too. She is a bit raw and can be overly aggressive at times but tenacious. When she settles down and gets more polished on defense, I could see her taking over for junior Bree Hall when she leaves.

Lest we forget, Chloe was a part of that same 2023 freshman class, though she came in a semester early . Now, she is a starter!

That class was less heralded than 2021 but producing more right off the bat. Of course, it may be that Dawn is now more experienced in working young talent in with more proven upper class men.

Anyway, I am VERY pleased. I had predicted a couple of losses early - BUT our schedule has not been as tough as expected. Looks like we will cruise into SEC play undefeated. I guess East Carolina could put up a fight just because of sports history, but I doubt it.

Reaction Score
Raven not playing today btw. Coaches decision

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gamecocks win 99-29 in a route......

I just realized - Presbyterian played a game YESTERDAY as well, a 63-52 win over South Carolina State in Clinton. Don't see too many back-to-back games in a non-tournament situation. Don't know if the SCST game was a make-up for an earlier postponed game, or if this was scheduled this way to begin with.

Always hard to gauge how B2B games will play out, especially for the 2nd game of that series: will the team that played it come out more prepared and "loosened up" for the 2nd game, or will they come out a bit tired and low stamina, especially if the games were tough physical games. Don't know how physically tiring the SCST game was, but I know USC was the toughest, deepest, most talented opponent the Blue Hose will play this season (the Gamecocks had 7 players to score in dbl digits today).

Also the Gamecocks could've come into today's game a bit lethargic being their first game in about a week. But of course, none of this may have mattered at all, as the Gamecocks won the game in a run-away route.....

Reaction Score
Raven not playing today doesn't sound disciplinary, it sounded more fatigued oriented. Dawn said she could have played today if needed. I rather we play it safe and she misses a game or two rather we wait and it becomes something serious.

Reaction Score
Raven’s fine. simple rest/maintenance game against an overmatched opponent.
she’ll be back starting Tuesday night at Bowling Green .

Reaction Score
Never really heard of sitting a 20 year old for a whole game for fatigue.

Probably either a small nagging injury or some other reason for it. Raven seemed in good spirits so nothing serious.

Reaction Score

Probably either a small nagging injury or some other reason for it. Raven seemed in good spirits so nothing serious.
This

Reaction Score
Dawn doesn’t lie, it’s just a thought that when she says she is resting a young player there may be several meanings you can take from resting a player, and like the poster above said, never heard of a 20 year old player being kept out for fatigue for an entire game.

Coaches do not always share everything with the media, again, maybe just people reading into it too much. But it would surprise no one if it was a minor injury or other, unless of course she has or had symptoms of mono or some such similar “fatigue” issue, which we just do not see often. Nobody said Dawn was lying, take a breather here.

Reaction Score
Dawn doesn’t lie, it’s just a thought that when she says she is resting a young player there may be several meanings you can take from resting a player, and like the poster above said, never heard of a 20 year old player being kept out for fatigue for an entire game.

Coaches do not always share everything with the media, again, maybe just people reading into it too much. But it would surprise no one if it was a minor injury or other, unless of course she has or had symptoms of mono or some such similar “fatigue” issue, which we just do not see often. Nobody said Dawn was lying, take a breather here.
She said Raven could’ve played. I doubt it’s an injury. And you seen how Raven played in Utah game, multiple turnovers, open missed layups. You could tell she was tired, she’s human, idc how old she is, fatigue can still take over. So let her rest for a day and get back to work Tuesday. Now, if she miss Tuesday then that’s where the concern comes in

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
She said Raven could’ve played. I doubt it’s an injury. And you seen how Raven played in Utah game, multiple turnovers, open missed layups. You could tell she was tired, she’s human, idc how old she is, fatigue can still take over. So let her rest for a day and get back to work Tuesday. Now, if she miss Tuesday then that’s where the concern comes in
Probably pulled all-nighters during finals. Ah, college….

Elite athletes have it tough - they’re expected to practice and play hard AND keep their grades up while trying to have some semblance of a personal life. More than one young Husky has said they struggled to master time management as an underclassman

Reaction Score

Could be times are changing and coaches are prioritize health - both mental and physical. Doubtful it's an injury, nagging or otherwise. Exam week, grueling couple of games prior to the end of the semestser. Even with sitting yesterday out, Raven leads the team in minutes played with 265. She plays full throttle every minute she is in a game and you more often than not see her "encouraging" her teammates to get down the court in front of her faster. Dawn often says she has to slow her down. I'm sure many coaches would love the luxury of being able to rest their PG1 before conference play. As someone else said - if she doesn't play at Bowling Green Tuesday then it is more than rest and we'll find out at that time. Raven did sit out an entire year due to an injury and it's possible the staff wants to be mindful of her minutes moving forward now that the team is geling more. I'll take what Coach Staley says at face value.

Reaction Score
Sakima puzzles me. She cannot hang on to the ball and gets pushed around too much under the basket. I know she will only get stronger under Molly but last night was a time for her to shine against the lesser level of competition but she did not score a point :/

I never watched any of her games with her junior college ... did they use her in a different way?
She had a really good game yesterday. Confidence is growing, she's moving her feet well and ran the floor twice with the ball in her hands. Tossed in a beautiful layup after switching from her right to left hand. Flashed her nice little face-up shot. She's going to play valuable minutes during conference games and be an asset! Coach Staley seems very pleased with her progress.

Reaction Score
She had a really good game yesterday. Confidence is growing, she's moving her feet well and ran the floor twice with the ball in her hands. Tossed in a beautiful layup after switching from her right to left hand. Flashed her nice little face-up shot. She's going to play valuable minutes during conference games and be an asset! Coach Staley seems very pleased with her progress.
Yes I agree she played much better.

Reaction Score
Still hanging on in lean for attendance! (15,590) Iowa bringing it though. (14,998) LSU, UConn and Iowa State also over 10,000

Iowa’s 14,998 number is static. They’ve averaged exactly that number for every game and have no more seats. SC was over 16,000 for MD, CU, Morgan St. games and only under 15,000 for SD St and MVSU. Rest of the home schedule is SEC + UConn, which I expect most of the SEC games, if not all, will average 16,000+, and of course UConn should be a sell out or close to it. I expect Iowa to outdraw SC in the 2 first week NCAA games but not by anywhere nearly enough to overtake the Gamecocks for the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom