SC Gamecocks 2023-2024 in season thread | Page 14 | The Boneyard

SC Gamecocks 2023-2024 in season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
To paraphrase the late great Bernie Mac... We ain't scared of yall (and some other stuff followed) :eek:

Hope the series continues... the chicken fans that make it to durham create a great atmosphere. I want to make it down to Columbia for a game.. not sure how they treat visitors down there though.
I'll put in a good word for you.

Reaction Score
… I doubt UNC plays as inspired in Uncasville as they did against USC in front of a packed home gym.
I expect Geno to get a “midwest” style whistle. But if it’s a pro whistle, they could be in trouble.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Same - she has wonderful offensive ability to catch & score around the basket but her overall effort on both sides of the ball currently pales to the & intensity & effort that Kitts is bringing, especially rebounding
Dawn said she was the most talented player on the team last year (Feagin) and she included Boston. That says a lot about her talent but that talent seems to be also holding her back. You have to be hungry also. That might be the missing link because Chloe is hungry with less talent.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
One interesting observation from after the game on Sunday. In case you have never been to Cameron Indoor, across the plaza there is this large Duke Team Store... a playground for Duke fans.,,, full of great Nike stuff (not that under armour nonsense). Anyway, of course it was packed inside, but to my surprise, there were A LOT of SCar fans in their with their Crimson and Black apparel looking around and buying gear. I guess they were either closet Duke MBB fans, or they wanted something nice to wear besides burgundy and black. ;)

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
One interesting observation from after the game on Sunday. In case you have never been to Cameron Indoor, across the plaza there is this large Duke Team Store... a playground for Duke fans.,,, full of great Nike stuff (not that under armour nonsense). Anyway, of course it was packed inside, but to my surprise, there were A LOT of SCar fans in their with their Crimson and Black apparel looking around and buying gear. I guess they were either closet Duke MBB fans, or they wanted something nice to wear besides burgundy and black. ;)
They were just feeling sorry for you guys.....:) It was like buying lemonade from a 10 year olds lemonade stand. You don't really want it but you go...."awe they are out here in the hot sun lets buy some..."

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Dawn said she was the most talented player on the team last year (Feagin) and she included Boston. That says a lot about her talent but that talent seems to be also holding her back. You have to be hungry also. That might be the missing link because Chloe is hungry with less talent.

I will say, Chloe is pretty darn good. She's kind of your prototypical SC big in that she's athletic, aggressively rebounds and doesn't shy away from contact, but she has a really nice face up game too and good perimeter skills. I thought she'd be the odd woman out behind Watkins/Feagin but she has really impressed in the games I've seen.

Reaction Score
Garnett and Black

Reaction Score
Always with the dribble. It’s Garnet btw, but you already knew that. The devil is in the detail, literally in this case. I suppose all Duck fans have that in common, being devilish that is.

Reaction Score
That was a very good press conference and it gives us a little peek behind the curtain. We are very lucky to have her as our women's basketball coach.
Well, I like that we were practicing free throws in the background - but it seemed too casual to me, We focused more on FTs when I played. (of course, people still had party line phone numbers back then)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well, I like that we were practicing free throws in the background - but it seemed to casual to me, We focused more on FTs when I played. (of course, people still had party line phone numbers back then)
Wowwwww...you just took me back with the party line phone numbers reference. I had all but forgotten about those! LOL

Reaction Score
Only mystery tonight is what Cloninger will find as a basis for his, "Dawn it really seemed like the team was struggling" question.

Reaction Score
It’s how Cloninger makes his living, been that way forever

Reaction Score
Be careful, the Ducks will disown you for poor grammar, it’s there of course and not their. Devil in the details again Duck fan.

You can continue with all of the passive aggressive slights and underhanded digs which everyone sees through, matters little.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Do u think the starting lineup was different because of the trash talk against Duke? Obviously not a permanent thing but it sounded a bit disciplinary from Dawn's presser. I could be wrong though.

Reaction Score
Do u think the starting lineup was different because of the trash talk against Duke? Obviously not a permanent thing but it sounded a bit disciplinary from Dawn's presser. I could be wrong though.
She said they broke team rules, so it's likely off the court related. Raven and Kamilla are super close, it's probably something small like breaking curfew.

Reaction Score
Possibly

Reaction Score
Sakima puzzles me. She cannot hang on to the ball and gets pushed around too much under the basket. I know she will only get stronger under Molly but last night was a time for her to shine against the lesser level of competition but she did not score a point :/

I never watched any of her games with her junior college ... did they use her in a different way?

Reaction Score
I'm excited about the Utah game coming up. I think this will be one of the biggest challenges of the year. Utah is currently ranked #1 in 3pt% and #1 in 3pt attempts. I believe they lost their best 3-point shooter for the season, so those numbers may be slightly skewed. With current production. Pili will be a huge challenge for Cardoso. She will have to guard the perimeter and our guards will not have as much help on defense, so we'll have to be very disciplined.

Reaction Score
I'm excited about the Utah game coming up. I think this will be one of the biggest challenges of the year. Utah is currently ranked #1 in 3pt% and #1 in 3pt attempts. I believe they lost their best 3-point shooter for the season, so those numbers may be slightly skewed. With current production. Pili will be a huge challenge for Cardoso. She will have to guard the perimeter and our guards will not have as much help on defense, so we'll have to be very disciplined.
I think you all will run away with that game, but happy to be wrong.

Reaction Score
I think you all will run away with that game, but happy to be wrong.
I'm not that familiar with Utah with exception to Pili. Looking at their stats, they seem to be under ranked at #11.

Reaction Score
I'm not that familiar with Utah with exception to Pili. Looking at their stats, they seem to be under ranked at #11.
They’re not the same team they were expected to be without Palmer and Kneepkens (assuming Palmer doesn’t return for the SC game). SC guard play is a load regardless, but they don’t have the depth to make up for those two significant losses IMO.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

If yall don't win by at least 20, I will be flabbergasted.

Very substantive PC if you haven’t watched it already.

I saw an article about her talking about the "trash" talking Sunday, and glad that she addressed it. Another reason that Staley is a first class coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bballmicmac

Top Bottom