Sanogo Nickname | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sanogo Nickname

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Rip isn't a nickname?

Perhaps not the best example, but that was what his family called him, not some nickname Husky fans came up with. Maybe if he came to Storrs only being called Richard we would have come up with something silly.

Reaction Score
Nick names are bestowed by friends and peers and often the press. This as they stand out among them.
Here is a good list of NBA nick names and why.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
When you’ve earned the right to be recognized just by your first name, you don’t need a nick name. Adama, Kemba, Caron, Emeka, Rip, etc.
Rip IS a nickname. His first name was Richard.
Emeka's nickname was Mek.

Bazz was a great nickname for Shabazz. But at the time, I thought his middle name would have made the best nickname in UConn history. Bozie.

Reaction Score
96321E1A-6BC7-4A5F-A777-171054D7C30A.png

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Rip IS a nickname. His first name was Richard.
True. If I remember it correctly he inherited the Rip from his father who was the original Rip.

As far as Adama, just call him Mister and get out of the way.

Reaction Score
according to Charles Barkley it’s Sunoco
I took Barkley's comment differently. At halftime one of the other members said he was called gas station in college because he was always filling it up. Barkley's response to the other panel member was they called you Sunoco because you were alway filled with gas.

Don't remember Adamo being called Sunoco.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I took Barkley's comment differently. At halftime one of the other members said he was called gas station in college because he was always filling it up. Barkley's response to the other panel member was they called you Sunoco because you were alway filled with gas.

Don't remember Adamo being called Sunoco.
Barkley did say Sunoco once, which led to the interchange between him and Kenny Smith you referenced. I'm pretty sure Barkley also called AS Kinoko once during the broadcast.

That aside, it is obvious that AS takes his faith very seriously. It may not be a good idea to use something that he views as solemn and try to turn it into a source of levity.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
When you’ve earned the right to be recognized just by your first name, you don’t need a nick name. Adama, Kemba, Caron, Emeka, Rip, etc.
Cardiac Kemba, Caronamo, Mek and Rip! But otherwise no nicknames.

Might consider Adaminator if we change our minds.

I have tepidly spoken!

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
True. If I remember it correctly he inherited the Rip from his father who was the original Rip.

As far as Adama, just call him Mister and get out of the way.
Something about his father being able to rip a phone book in half.

Reaction Score
This is probably a little too niche, but being a fan or the original and the reboot of Battlestar Galactica, Adama is a revered name in certain corners of the geek world. I would just say "Commander Adama" or "The Commander" has a nice ring to it.
And Somehow I Think You Would Understand Battlestar Galactica GIF

Reaction Score
This is probably a little too niche, but being a fan or the original and the reboot of Battlestar Galactica, Adama is a revered name in certain corners of the geek world. I would just say "Commander Adama" or "The Commander" has a nice ring to it.
So say we all!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
m8qnbZt.jpg

Reaction Score
The true greats didn't need nicknames: Jordan, LaBron, Bird, Kareem, Magic.... ;)
Some needed multiples Shaq Daddy , The Big Aristotle, The big Shamrock, Shaq Diesel,…

Reaction Score
Some needed multiples Shaq Daddy , The Big Aristotle, The big Shamrock, Shaq Diesel,…
You forgot "The Big Sexy".... I think he gave himself that one... My favorite one, Wilt "The Stilt". Not because of his height. ;)

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The one, true Commander Adama.

adama.jpg

Reaction Score
He’s simply Adama in my house. My 6 and 9 year-olds call all the men’s (and women’s) players by their first names like they’ve been friends for years.
My son said Tate and Duv before he said grandma

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom