Sanogo/Martin Update | The Boneyard

Sanogo/Martin Update

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
This reminds me of last year with Bouk. I'll be surprised if we see either in 2021 and am half-expecting it to be closer to late January or February before they're back.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I kind of wish he didn't put this hope into the air. I'd rather have just been surprised than disappointed.

This is encouraging. One thought I had watching the last game: when I have lower back pain, sitting in a chair is the absolute worst thing for it. Unless he's got an actual spinal injury, it's a muscle strain of some sort and I don't think he'd be out all that long. Might need to manage his minutes.

Reaction Score
The timeline for Martin suggested a return for the Providence game was completely reasonable. I'm cautiously optimistic on him playing, especially after seeing this.

Would be an excellent surprise if Sanogo was able to get back too. Fingers crossed!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
This is good for 2 reasons. The first is obvious. The second reason is that it forces these teams to create multiple gameplans and potentially wastes their time lol
For us old-timers, even if Sanogo is mostly a no-go, that Willis Reed moment might be all we need to screw up any coach's planning.

Reaction Score
This is good for 2 reasons. The first is obvious. The second reason is that it forces these teams to create multiple gameplans and potentially wastes their time lol
This is probably why Hurley is coy on injuries.

It frustrates the hell out of fans, but also opposing coaches.

Reaction Score
If Martin really only has a "sprained wrist"...this sounds very reasonable. He played through it for two games so it must not have been THAT bad, and we're fortunate that it's on his non-shooting hand.

Sanogo's injury is much more mysterious. Feels like something that could linger a bit and maybe something that bothers him all season. We may need to get used to a 20-25 minute Sanogo versus a 30-35 minute Sanogo, which may not be a bad thing and can allow more time for Johnson to get his feet wet and develop more.

Reaction Score
This reminds me of last year with Bouk. I'll be surprised if we see either in 2021 and am half-expecting it to be closer to late January or February before they're back.

Maybe, but remember Bouk was insistent on taking his own doctor's opinion. He was cleared by team doctors way before then. Hopefully Hurley's assessment has a little more truth to it this time around.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
This is encouraging. One thought I had watching the last game: when I have lower back pain, sitting in a chair is the absolute worst thing for it. Unless he's got an actual spinal injury, it's a muscle strain of some sort and I don't think he'd be out all that long. Might need to manage his minutes.
Sanogo's injury at this point is being described as an "abdominal strain" or "abdominal tear", which kind of sounds like a possible hernia, yes? We'll have to wait and see what doctors say. UConn's Sanogo to miss extended amount of time

Reaction Score
does it matter how either of them are "feeling"? you can have a broken wrist and abdominal tear and feel ok but that doesn't mean their bodies have healed.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Sanogo and Martin are in the care of team doctors, and are giving advice to Hurley. They can medically clear them. This is the complete opposite of the Bouknight situation.

Reaction Score

I kind of wish he didn't put this hope into the air. I'd rather have just been surprised than disappointed.

I highly doubt we see either of them for Providence or Marquette -- but just the possibility that they may be available is good news. It tells me we should hopefully have them back healthy for the new year.

Reaction Score
The timeline for Martin suggested a return for the Providence game was completely reasonable. I'm cautiously optimistic on him playing, especially after seeing this.

Would be an excellent surprise if Sanogo was able to get back too. Fingers crossed!
Hurley did say "either", which makes sense with Martin's timeline and would fill the "either" will be back by then. He's not saying Sanogo will be back by then and I'd be pleasantly surprised if he was.

Reaction Score
I know nothing about Sanogo’s injuries. But Martin’s injury is almost certainly the type of thing that can be played through it if you want to. I’d bet dollars to donuts that if this was March and the Big East tournament was this week, he’d be taped up and playing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know nothing about Sanogo’s injuries. But Martin’s injury is almost certainly the type of thing that can be played through it if you want to. I’d bet dollars to donuts that if this was March and the Big East tournament was this week, he’d be taped up and playing.
The kid is a warrior. I would go to battle with him

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

He played two games with it as it was, so you are probably right.

Reaction Score
For us old-timers, even if Sanogo is mostly a no-go, that Willis Reed moment might be all we need to screw up any coach's planning.
Fortunate to say I was one of the 19,500 at that Willis Reed game. No one knew if he was going to play. Came out on the court a couple minutes before teammates were shooting pregame shots. Game starts. He hits two pure shots from corner of foul line in first minutes of the game. Ostensibly done for the night then Clyde takes over: 36 puts. 19 assists.
Magical…sorry if TMI

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom