Saniya Chong and others | The Boneyard

Saniya Chong and others

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Last nine games Saniya is 15-20 from the floor shooting 3's. She is shooting 44.1% from 3 and yet is 4th on the team in overall 3pt efficiency. I'm not counting Stokes or Pulido.

Just -- wow. Moriah Jefferson is now shooting over 50% from 3 jut like KML. Just wow.

And am I reading right? Some UCONN fans are complaining about our season? Hopefully I'm wrong about that.

Just wow - the shooting on this team unreal.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The top 8 scorers for UConn are now all shooting better than 50% overall, which is just mind-boggling since many of them shoot a high percentage of 3s. Chong is now at 81.3% on 3s in her last 7 games.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Chong is having a revival not that dissimilar to what Moriah did in January last year and is doing again this year.
And her defense is really not a liability - she may not be Nurse or Jefferson, but she is above average for WCBB in general and has been coming on strong on that end as well.

Nurse on the other hand has been having a quiet little slump over the last few weeks. Fouls, missed shots, and just not as synch as she was earlier. She isn't playing badly, especially for a freshman, but maybe has arrived at a bit of the 'wall'. She shot and scored better against Tulane so hopefully she has turned that corner.

Reaction Score
You can see how much more Geno is trusting her now. He does not hesitate to put her in when Kia is struggling or Mo is tired. Saniya is playing with a lot of confidence. Just peaking at the right time.
I agree. Personally, I am not a fan of the fact that our favorite team is playing in a conference that offers it no meaningful competition whatsoever. True, the same may likely be said about most conferences, though a few, I suspect, would be at least relatively more competitive. But we are witnessing, especially in the person of Saniya, the flip side of that reality. The amount of playing time she was able to get in lopsided games, even back when, relative to other players, she simply wasn't performing well, has clearly now paid off. She truly seems to have had her confidence and mojo restored, and the results are pleasingly obvious. Hope the same thing can still happen to Courtney before the season plays out.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The top 8 scorers for UConn are now all shooting better than 50% overall, which is just mind-boggling since many of them shoot a high percentage of 3s. Chong is now at 81.3% on 3s in her last 7 games.

Even more remarkable across the NCAA. UCONN has 3 ( Morgan, Stewie & KML) of the top 50 shooters in college basketball. No other school has more than 1 player in top 50.
Most remarkable a 4th Huskie ( Moriah) should be in the top 50. Moriah misses by 6 made field goals.
You said it best "mind-boggling since many of them shoot a high percentage of 3s"
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-women/d1/current/individual/107

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
No, Chong is not Nurse or MoJeff on defense, and that is probably a good thing, because each of the three players has a different defensive style and presence that fits well in the Husky scheme and makes them all able to be the team's stopper in certain situations, which can happen within games as well as in different games. The fact that they have very different body types also allows Geno to mix and match to best advantage when the opponents are having some success against UConn.

Chong's lockdown on Mitchell against USCar shows that at times she can be the better all-around defender against the most dangerous guards because she has both quickness and length, even if she is listed at 4 inches shorter than Nurse. She can stay with a mobile guard better than Kia and can frustrate the shooter with her springy wingspan and even pick up occasional blocks, unlike Kia who is more ground-based (great for diving on loose balls and for steals) and still has none on the season.

Kia is solid and rugged at defense and is best against the more usual guards who aren't that quick but who can be kept in control without having to run all over the court with face-guarding defense. She plays low to the ground and also like MoJeff has a great sense of where an opponent's pass is going, especially while they are trying to get the ball up court against a UConn press, and that allows her to get a lot of steals and scoop up some erratic dribbles around the paint.

MoJeff's ability to disrupt the opponent's offense in so many ways hardly needs any explanation as she just out-quicks, out-hustles, and out-thinks them while robbing them blind, often for easy baskets on the other end. The only limit for her is the height, which allows some taller guards to shoot over her, though occasionally they take the height advantage too much for granted and MoJeff gets to imitate Kiah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom