Samuelson takes AAC coaches vote in stride | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Samuelson takes AAC coaches vote in stride

Reaction Score
While I agree that Lou is the best 3pt shooter on the team, I’m not sure what purpose is served by taking a cheap shot at Kia & Pheesa for the MS St game.

Kia set the all time NCAA tournament record shooting 22/31 from the arc. Lou was 9/31 from the arc in the tournament. At the same time Pheesa was spectacular in the regional tournament with 27 & 28 pts vs UCLA & Oregon. In addition she was 5/10 from the arc throughout the tournament.

!!! There you go again! Confusing things with facts! :rolleyes:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just because Lou is not the best shooter on her team or best shooter in her family, that doesn't mean that she isn't a great shooter. She's probably not the best in the country, but I think she is one of the best.

Lou has a real chance of surpassing Kaleena's mark of 398 career treys; however, Kelsey Mitchell is currently sitting on about 370, so the career mark will be extended to about 500. I doubt that Lou will approach 500.

Reaction Score
If it wasn't for kls drawing the defense outside collier wouldn't have had the season she had last year. Teams were more worried about kls and gabby beating them then guarding collier.
Completely agree...and this was one of the key strengths of the 16/17 Huskies... you can't leave anyone "unattended".

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
A single data point does not make a trend. According to the NCAA 2017 Women's basketball statistics KLS (48.6 FG% & 42 3FG% ) was 81st in overall shooting %, 14th overall for just guards, and 17th in 3pt shooting %. Shatori Walker-Kimbrough was #1 at 52.5% overall. She was tied for 2nd in 3pt shots made. By the way Karlie Samuelson shot 48.5% 3FG%. She was the 3rd best 3pt shooter on her own team behind Kia and Phee. None of us are prophets and cannot know the future. If she does what she has been practicing then she will hopefully have a real shot at being the best shooter.

"I'm working on trying to play through anything and finding different ways to get open so people can't take me out of the game. I've been finishing a lot better and attacking the basket a lot harder." Last year when an opponent assigned a player to follow Lou everywhere then she did not perform well. Perhaps this year she will respond with better offensive moves and focus on setting up her teammates to score forcing the opponent to drop the "Lou Defense." We will see how well she and the team as a whole will perform early on since their schedule is front-loaded with top 25 teams.

Love the stats but if 3-point shooting percentage defines the best shooters then Stefanie Dolson (No. 3 in the WNBA last season) is a better shooter than Diana Taurasi (No. 13). I wonder how many of the juniors who shot better than the player who was "81st in overall shooting %" will be drafted before KLS in 2019? Of course it's possible that some WNBA team will make Lou a top three pick for her rebounding and defense but I tend to doubt it.

Reaction Score
Perhaps she's not the best shooter in the country, but she is the ONLY shooter in the history of College Basketball to go 10 for 10 from 3point land in a single game. And, in my world that's pretty darn good! I wouldn't trade her for any other "shooter"...
"...only shooter in the history of Division I Women's college basketball..."

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Just because Lou is not the best shooter on her team or best shooter in her family, that doesn't mean that she isn't a great shooter. She's probably not the best in the country, but I think she is one of the best.

She is a very good shooter. If my post came across as indicating I believe otherwise, my bad.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Love the stats but if 3-point shooting percentage defines the best shooters then Stefanie Dolson (No. 3 in the WNBA last season) is a better shooter than Diana Taurasi (No. 13). I wonder how many of the juniors who shot better than the player who was "81st in overall shooting %" will be drafted before KLS in 2019? Of course it's possible that some WNBA team will make Lou a top three pick for her rebounding and defense but I tend to doubt it.

And Dolson, last year, was the better shooter than Taurasi for the shots she took. However, I did note Lou was 14th among guards which is more of an apples to apples comparison. So yeah 13 other guards shot better than Lou. Draft selection has to do with the players overall talents both tangible and intangible, not to mention the competition she faced. You are wrong about why she will be selected particularly after the Storm selected KML #3 in the 1st round for her shooting. In the WNBA an all around game is needed. You are attempting to change the point, BEST SHOOTER. She was not the best shooter. A very good shooter just in 2017 she was not the best. She may be the best in 2017-18. However, she will have to shoot better than 48.5% from the 3pt line or she will forever hear about it from sister Karli.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
And Dolson, last year, was the better shooter than Taurasi for the shots she took. However, I did note Lou was 14th among guards which is more of an apples to apples comparison. So yeah 13 other guards shot better than Lou. Draft selection has to do with the players overall talents both tangible and intangible, not to mention the competition she faced. You are wrong about why she will be selected particularly after the Storm selected KML #3 in the 1st round for her shooting. In the WNBA an all around game is needed. You are attempting to change the point, BEST SHOOTER. She was not the best shooter. A very good shooter just in 2017 she was not the best. She may be the best in 2017-18. However, she will have to shoot better than 48.5% from the 3pt line or she will forever hear about it from sister Karli.
I didn't write that Lou was the best shooter; I wrote that she is the best shooter. And she is.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
It's amazing that we are even having this discussion.. But I for one think the coaches are correct in their assessment based on last year's performance. The major difference between the two talents for me is Consistency. While it appeared a few individuals and or schemes were successful in taking KLS out of the game last year, the only thing that took Napheesa out of the game was foul trouble and perhaps having two at most off games.. Where as KLS missed a significant amount of open shots throughout the season. Out of the two players when the shot went up I think it was safe to say we kinda expected Colliers to go in, because she was that consistent throughout the entire season... And for that she is more than deserving of the recognition bestowed upon her at the beginning of the season.. For those of you who still believe Collier was only open because of the effort to gaurd KLS, need to go watch game film again, Collier got shots up because she out worked her opponents and beat them to spots where she was effective in scoring, if your really think apposing coaches are going to ignore the leading scorer and a high percentage scorer at that, you all are nuts...

Reaction Score
So I take it you will be chastising all posters who do the same or is only when it is a certain player?
Correct on the first part! I have no issues with posters celebrating/harping/promoting/etc. a favorite player. What I cannot fathom is doing so by denigrating or dissing the accomplishments of another player. It is beyond what true Huskies fans should do, IMO!

Reaction Score
It seems like too much stock is getting placed in percentages. Some players are more willing to take the shot when the shot clock is expiring or will heave the half court prayer at the end of the quarter/half. Some don't. That all affects the percentage. After you cross 40% from 3, you're a really good shooter. KLS, Kia, and Pheesa were all somewhere between 42-46% last season. There really isn't much of a difference.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Some players are more willing to take the shot when the shot clock is expiring or will heave the half court prayer at the end of the quarter/half.

Actually the vast majority of these shots are not ruled as field goal attempts simply because of the situation and the circumstances of the shot itself. Knowledge is a good thing!

2016-17 Official NCAA Basketball Statisticians’ Manual
Official Basketball Statistics Rules

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_Manuals/Basketball/2017EZ.pdf

SECTION 1—FIELD GOALS
Article 1.
A field-goal attempt (FGA) is charged to a player any time the player shoots, throws or taps a live ball at his or her own basket, when, in the opinion of the statistician, the player is attempting to score a goal, with these exceptions:
(a) A FGA is not charged if the player is fouled in the act of shooting before the ball is in flight and the goal is not made.
(b) A FGA is not charged if there is offensive goaltending or offensive basket interference on that shot.
(c) A FGA is not charged if an unsuccessful shot is taken near the expiration of time for a period or for the shot clock, and it is the statistician’s opinion that the shot was a desperation shot and not a reasonable attempt to make a field goal. One or more of the following factors should exist in order to classify a shot as a desperation shot. The shooter:
(1) Is outside the normal shooting range. A shot from just beyond the three-point line would usually be considered in normal shooting range while a shot at or beyond the division line would be outside normal shooting range.
(2) Uses an abnormal shooting motion, such as an overhand baseball toss.
(3) Rushes or hurries the shot to beat the expiration of time. A shot could be considered rushed or hurried if the shooter tries to control and shoot the ball in the same motion with not enough time to get into a normal shooting position (squared up to the basket).​

Last edited:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
The "Rebounding" Samuelson was not happy with the vote either. She took it out in her Italian League game, scoring 25 pts, 7 rebounds and took 2 charges. She even did an interview after the game, in Italian. Well she answered in English, but seemed to have fun with the questions. Grazie! Kick Butt Lou!!!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
She will be, this year.
She may take the most shots but she may not be the most accurate shooter this season. Geno thinks Collier is the most accurate shooter per what he said last season. He said the coaches were surprised when she missed a shot in a game, probably because I suppose, she rarely missed in practice. As for KLS, I believe this will be a breakout year for her and she will come close to being elite because I'm expecting her to take her game to a higher level than last seaon.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Wait, Katie Samuelson is playing professionally in Italy? Does the NCAA know about this? Does Geno? And why does she look so much like her sister Karlie?

(during the interview her name appeared on screen, but they must've thought they got a different Samuelson)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Actually the vast majority of these shoots are not ruled as field goal attempts simply because of the situation and the circumstances of the shot itself. Knowledge is a good thing!

2016-17 Official NCAA Basketball Statisticians’ Manual
Official Basketball Statistics Rules

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_Manuals/Basketball/2017EZ.pdf

SECTION 1—FIELD GOALS
Article 1.
A field-goal attempt (FGA) is charged to a player any time the player shoots, throws or taps a live ball at his or her own basket, when, in the opinion of the statistician, the player is attempting to score a goal, with these exceptions:
(a) A FGA is not charged if the player is fouled in the act of shooting before the ball is in flight and the goal is not made.
(b) A FGA is not charged if there is offensive goaltending or offensive basket interference on that shot.
(c) A FGA is not charged if an unsuccessful shot is taken near the expiration of time for a period or for the shot clock, and it is the statistician’s opinion that the shot was a desperation shot and not a reasonable attempt to make a field goal. One or more of the following factors should exist in order to classify a shot as a desperation shot. The shooter:
(1) Is outside the normal shooting range. A shot from just beyond the three-point line would usually be considered in normal shooting range while a shot at or beyond the division line would be outside normal shooting range.
(2) Uses an abnormal shooting motion, such as an overhand baseball toss.
(3) Rushes or hurries the shot to beat the expiration of time. A shot could be considered rushed or hurried if the shooter tries to control and shoot the ball in the same motion with not enough time to get into a normal shooting position (squared up to the basket).​

Wow. Never knew that.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The "Rebounding" Samuelson was not happy with the vote either. She took it out in her Italian League game, scoring 25 pts, 7 rebounds and took 2 charges. She even did an interview after the game, in Italian. Well she answered in English, but seemed to have fun with the questions. Grazie! Kick Butt Lou!!!

I'm guessing that Karlie is fully recovered from her Final Four injury. That's great news.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing that Karlie is fully recovered from her Final Four injury. That's great news.

She was recovered from the final four injury awhile ago, the injury she is recovered from is the injury she got during the final preseason game of the WNBA with the la sparks, the reason she didn’t make the team this year, if not for that injury she would have made the sparks roster this season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She was recovered from the final four injury awhile ago, the injury she is recovered from is the injury she got during the final preseason game of the WNBA with the la sparks, the reason she didn’t make the team this year, if not for that injury she would have made the sparks roster this season.
Thanks! I had forgotten about the L.A. tryout. Maybe Syd Wiese got her spot.

Reaction Score
Correct on the first part! I have no issues with posters celebrating/harping/promoting/etc. a favorite player. What I cannot fathom is doing so by denigrating or dissing the accomplishments of another player. It is beyond what true Huskies fans should do, IMO!
Great news, so will we be expecting some posts from you soon about your buddies denigrating or dissing the accomplishments of the other players on the team because there are quite a few of those posts and posters out there?

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Here is the problem with stats - they are only relevant to the team, the position, the competition and how the competition game plans. After all how did those stats work out for you in the game against Miss State ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom