2021 Recruiting: - Samson Johnson Update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: Samson Johnson Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
You can offer as many as you want, at one point in the summer LSU had something like 16 kids committed for the upcoming season before a few kids transferred or declared for the NBA draft. Doubt Hurley ever gets to that point but I think getting to 14 if we want 1-2 kids being drafted is a realistic end goal
thx for the clarification. i knew about the offers part, but i didn't realize you could have extra players actually committed.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
In terms of how to use the scholarship, I think we'll know more once we know whether or not Adams or any of the seniors are coming back or not.
eek! can't believe he's only a junior. i know he's a Hurley recruit, but seems like he's been here 5 years

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'd try to find a 2/3 that can shoot and then maybe a big that can defend and rebound as experienced (grad) transfers to fill it out. That also would let Hurley go after 2-3 highly rated guys in the '22-'23 recruiting class.
don't want adams to leave unless one of the seniors comes back. going into the summer with 3 open schollys is too many.

in terms of the 2 open schollys for 2021 i think 1 grad transfer big and 1 traditional transfer wing is ideal.

that way we'd still have 3 open schollys in 2022 to replace cole, martin, adams (or a returning senior), and a grad transfer, minus floyd.

Reaction Score
Jordan Hawkins looks like he had Bouk type skill. He's going to be a good one

Hold your horses. You're talking about one of our best sophomores EVER. He isn't going to sniff Bouk's jock handling the ball or getting to the foul line or finishing at the rim.

I suspect he'll be a much more effecient shooter and better defender as a freshman.

Reaction Score
don't want adams to leave unless one of the seniors comes back. going into the summer with 3 open schollys is too many.

in terms of the 2 open schollys for 2021 i think 1 grad transfer big and 1 traditional transfer wing is ideal.

that way we'd still have 3 open schollys in 2022 to replace cole, martin, adams (or a returning senior), and a grad transfer, minus floyd.
Cole,Martin,Adams would still have a year of eligibility left in 2022( if interested) since this year does not count towards their four years of playing.

Reaction Score
Cole,Martin,Adams would still have a year of eligibility left in 2022( if interested) since this year does not count towards their four years of playing.
and they would probably count against the 13 scholly limit at that point. i'd love to have a 5th year cole or martin back of course. gotta hand the keys over to diggins at some point tho

Reaction Score
and they would probably count against the 13 scholly limit at that point. i'd love to have a 5th year cole or martin back of course. gotta hand the keys over to diggins at some point tho
Don't disagree with you ,just mentioning it.

Reaction Score
All I think watching that video is.

“ That right there is the stretch 4 we been missing for a long time”

Sampson is going to be a HUGE asset.

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
totally irrelevant...hurley knew bouk was gone heading into this season and his spot has yet to be filled so i was asking if hurley had planned on a grad transfer or redshirt transfer all along. i understand being caught off guard by javonte leaving and having to rely on a transfer of some sort to replace him but i was asking specifically about bouk's scholly which could have been filled by a 4th freshman
Ah, my mistake.

Reaction Score
He needs to fill out a little more. But man, this kid looks really really good.

Reaction Score
@husky429 or anyone else who has seen significant game play what are your thoughts on him and what you expect next season from him? He looks significantly further along than where I thought he was and or where he was last season. I'm only going off of highlights and a tiny bit of game play I watched but I really like what I see.

Reaction Score
@husky429 or anyone else who has seen significant game play what are your thoughts on him and what you expect next season from him? He looks significantly further along than where I thought he was and or where he was last season. I'm only going off of highlights and a tiny bit of game play I watched but I really like what I see.

I think he starts by mid-January. I don't know who he'll end up better than.. but he's a talent. Seems like Cole, Jackson, Rese, Akok, Sanogo should be penciled in for early season starts?

His defense will get him the "Adams treatment," because Hurley obviously LOVES fundamental defenders... but he will be good for 35%+ from 3 and open up huge lanes for Andre and Rese.

He will play well with Jackson. He'll need creators and ballhandlers to offset his lack of handle at the SG spot.

I don't think Johnson or Diggins start next season but they'll both push for minutes.

This recruiting class elevates our team talent for sure.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Hold your horses. You're talking about one of our best sophomores EVER. He isn't going to sniff Bouk's jock handling the ball or getting to the foul line or finishing at the rim.

I suspect he'll be a much more effecient shooter and better defender as a freshman.
Couldn't disagree more
I have seen both in HS/AAU
Let Hawkins be a sophomore before you make those brash statements - handle? I think he already has that - Bouk is sloppy at times He appears quiet but seems to have that attitude/self confidence that will allow him to take over - something Bouk has been shy about.
Bouk is silkier - no doubt

Reaction Score
I think he starts by mid-January. I don't know who he'll end up better than.. but he's a talent. Seems like Cole, Jackson, Rese, Akok, Sanogo should be penciled in for early season starts?

His defense will get him the "Adams treatment," because Hurley obviously LOVES fundamental defenders... but he will be good for 35%+ from 3 and open up huge lanes for Andre and Rese.

He will play well with Jackson. He'll need creators and ballhandlers to offset his lack of handle at the SG spot.

I don't think Johnson or Diggins start next season but they'll both push for minutes.

This recruiting class elevates our team talent for sure.
I was talking/asking about Samson. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. From the little I've seen Samson is further along offensively than I thought he would be, didn't think he would look so comfortable doing some of these things yet.

Reaction Score
I was talking/asking about Samson. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. From the little I've seen Samson is further along offensively than I thought he would be, didn't think he would look so comfortable doing some of these things yet.

My bad... I knew you were saying that and just didn't write about it. It's been a long day lol.

I think Samson has an Akok-level defensive impact by the middle of the season. I assume he won't be ready as quickly as Akok just because he won't have the weird half-season to practice with the team first. He's probably more combo 4/5 than a pure 4 like Akok, so it will be interesting to see how they can play together. Going super athletic with the two of them in the game could make us RIDICULOUS defensively. (I'm drooling thinking of throwing out Cole/Jackson/Martin/Akok/Johnson right now... or even Jackson at the PG with Hawkins/Rese/Akok/Sanogo... what other team in the big east can play those type of athletes all at the same time?)

Samson isn't as natural a shotblocker as Akok, but he'll do okay. His length and footspeed on the perimeter are going to be a problem in the big east. I think he honestly will guard 2-4 easily. And can pick up PGs in a pinch. If anything, his toughest assignment will be versus the big traditional centers... but we have Sanogo for them.

Offensively, the highlights probably don't tell the whole story. He has the pieces to be a 3-level scorer, but they haven't come together yet. Very inconsistent. So, if I were to guess, he's most efficient dunking the ball and getting transition buckets, but Hurley gives him the freedom to takes shots and make 1-2 dribble drives to start developing more consistency on that end.

Personally I'd be shocked if he averaged more than 6-8 points a game. But he'll play 20 minutes per by the end of the season.

Reaction Score
Weingarten ALWAYS inflates players stats. It's annoying--never trust what he writes.

FWIW I have Samson's stats in 7 games as

13.5 PTS
7.1 REB
2.1 AST
2.1 BLK

Last season in a dozen games I had Sanogo (also at TPS) with 14.1/9.4/1.3 w/ 1.7 blocks.

Reaction Score
A lot to like about Samson's upside. The thing that I see that previous recent UConn Bigs have not had is his foot work/agility/foot speed for someone his size . Seems quicker and lighter on his feet allowing him to recover on D and get space for his shot on O. His wingspan will also allow him to do things that we haven't seen in awhile. KInd of has the Donyell body- style without Donyell's offensive game skills.

Don't know how that will translate in CBB but definitely a great skill set to have for a stretch 4.. Keep in mind he has already played along side of AS in HS so they are familiar with each other and is still learning the game.

DH will have to figure out how to allocate PT between AA and Samson next year since they play the same position. KFree will have a huge impact on his development while in Storrs .

Samson will be getting to know Coach Mike over the next few years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No, don't tell me Samson was hobbling at end of video?
Tell me I'm wrong and it's someone else.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Samson going DEEP in his bag! Pull up 3s, catch and shoot 3s, rim running alley-oops, improved touch and body control. Special talent

This kid is a weapon! Day 1 rotation piece, outside shot at starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom