2021 Recruiting: - Samson Johnson to UConn | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: Samson Johnson to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
A side benefit of successfully recruiting Sanogo/Samson is solidifying a meaningful relationship with Coach Chavannes.. Great building block for future classes of recruits in Storrs.
Yep. They’re trying to turn St. Ps into a national brand like Monteverde, IMG. I read St. Ps had the strongest strength of schedule in the country last year. This relationship has serious potential.

Reaction Score
Who knows, but Kimani is gonna kill it when he gets his chance. Dudes been a killer since he got here.
Kimani just seems like a cool cat and a great mentor to young men. His backstory is tragic and humbling, I’ve always been intrigued by him. Seems like his hard work is paying off with all the recruits and good kids we’re bringing in. Give this article a read.

C

Chief00

15 days.

It took the staff 15 days to build a top-5 recruiting class.

15 freakin' days.

Insane!

I also love what Borges reported on the kid's character:

I think I know what you are trying to say about the results. But, there was a ton of long term grind behind each one of these commitments. It may seem easy, however the coaches have been working each of these guys for quite awhile.

Reaction Score
Honest question...how long can we realistically expect this staff to stay intact? With the success they’ve had recruiting I’m sure there will be head coaching options thrown their way in the not too distant future, right?

Great debate question. Not everyone is cut out to be a head coach and even for those destined to do well it sometimes doesn't work out at the first job.

Tom Moore and Bill Belichick come to mind. It didn't work out for Tom at Qunnipiac nor for Belichick in Cleveland but seems he did OK with the Patriots. So Tom may want that second bite at the apple.

Probably every assistant wants the chance to show what they can do leading a program but some may realize after a while that they're happy as an assistant at a great program. Let's hope our assistants are happy here and if they want the head job that they make the right decision for themselves.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Kimani just seems like a cool cat and a great mentor to young men. His backstory is tragic and humbling, I’ve always been intrigued by him. Seems like his hard work is paying off with all the recruits and good kids we’re bringing in. Give this article a read.

Wow, didn't know any of this about him. What a great success story and a great guy to have on your side.

Reaction Score
I think I know what you are trying to say about the results. But, there was a ton of long term grind behind each one of these commitments. It may seem easy, however the coaches have been working each of these guys for quite awhile.
Chief most of the casual fans think we just got there players in 15 days. They don't see the work behind it.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
What I like the most about this recent splurge in top rated recruits is the fact that all 3 were recruited with different coaches/recruiters as the point person.
This is a strength that very few teams in the nation can point at having - too many rely on one and the HC
Let's be honest, the NBE is opening doors that would be closed or slightly ajar if UConn were in the AAC.
That is not meant to take anything away from what DH and the staff have accomplished. They have used the weaknesses caused by this pandemic into a strength and the results are plain to see.
Thank God that HCJC was available to set the groundwork and develop the program to the level of blueblood. The AAC, thankfully, was just a hiccup and recruiting will should be at the highest level again.
This is just the start but the real determining factor will be seen in success on the court - with the talent coning in, I strongly feel that there will be plenty to enjoy
Great Work staff

Reaction Score
Honest question...how long can we realistically expect this staff to stay intact? With the success they’ve had recruiting I’m sure there will be head coaching options thrown their way in the not too distant future, right?

I give Kimani two more seasons, tops.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
What a glorious day for a Monday. Evidence of more great work by the staff and welcome to Samson Johnson our newest Husky.
I can smell #5 coming

Reaction Score
I give Kimani two more seasons, tops.
It depends. Not everyone is dying for mid major athletic departments. Welcome to the COVID-19 world. I think everyone will need to see what that world looks like before making moves like that. Those departments pay their premiere coaches well, but will they still have that funding when those games are poorly televised and/or attended?

Reaction Score
I think about all the posts - after Dan Hurley was hired... Some were positive... some were negative. I thought the 'roots' and a passion similar to Jim Calhoun would bring us out of the place we're in. I spoke a few I know who are skilled in basketball - and they told me... it was a home run. I believed them and I agreed. To all the naysayers out there - DH is turning this program around - piece by piece. And as I heard JC once say... John Wooden told him to - get the best players you can. This kid will really help. I am extremely impressed with recruits DH (and staff) is bringing in. Just terrific! This young man looks to be quite interesting. I like that he 'seems' to have a decent shooting touch as well. A roaming forward who can be a defensive and rebounding force... and sprinkle in a little shooting? Nice! Is he a decent free throw shooter? I've seen him take 3's in a couple of videos. This class is excellent - some real talent - DH can coach into a winning team.

Reaction Score
I think that’ll depend more on our success on the court, a tourney run will definitely bring some interest our assistants way, excited to see Young and Hunter in their first HC gigs

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Cuse board. Good comment. We’re gonna have size and depth going forward like our championship years.

So UConn has 6’9 Akok (sophomore), 6’9 Richie Springs (freshman), 6’9 Sanogo (freshman) and 7’0 Javonte Brown (freshman) all as underclass bigs this year - now Johnson in 2021. That’s 5 big men already for next year. Then going all out for Clingan in 2022.

honestly kudos to Hurley for convincing 5 guys who can only play the 4 or 5 to commit within 2 cycles. Will be interesting to see if all 5 stick around
I seem to remember a team with Okafor, The Hilton Unit, Josh & Charlie V. That worked out OK. For us, and for them, as they were all drafted in the first round.

Reaction Score
I seem to remember a team with Okafor, The Hilton Unit, Josh & Charlie V. That worked out OK. For us, and for them, as they were all drafted in the first round.

(It's not 2004 anymore)

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Wow! So are we all done for a little while or is this dam break going to continue?

The delaying of the season is going to sting so much, can we get like Hurley Zooms of practices for us fans to drool over or something?
I'm thinking that while we're on a roll, they might as well fill up the next couple classes, too.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
In a perfect year, Bouknight lights the world on fire enough in 20-21 that it would be stupid for him not to leave.
The difference between perfect in the player's eyes and in ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom