OT: - Rutgers will require vaccinations for students fall '21 | The Boneyard

OT: Rutgers will require vaccinations for students fall '21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I wonder if other schools in the northeast will follow with a similar requirement. Interesting.

Reaction Score
Colleges already require quite a few vaccines anyways. As long as the vaccine is actually available for anyone who wants it, then this shouldn't be a problem. Also, all stadiums and arenas better be 100% capacity next season if everyone is vaccinated

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That is going to be interesting. I suspect it will be challenged. The Vaccine available under an emergency use authorization, so can't be required by employers for example. Not sure schools would be different.

Edit: Google providing a lot of what seems like misinformation about this, looking at other vaccines. Employers can't require Covid-19 vaccination under an EUA - STAT (statnews.com)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Interesting. Understand there are legal ramifications but in our school district, all students need to have a immunization form filled out before a student enters school. This includes DTP, MMR and polio vaccines. I personally think that a virus that has killed close to 3MM globally and caused global havoc should be on the same required list as the other vaccines.

Reaction Score
I'd imagine most colleges are going to require it for the fall semester. As @aburks41 said most schools already require you to have a bunch of other vaccinations, so this is just another one.

@HuskyHawk, you haven't sent your daughter to college yet. Just wait until you have to fill out the medical form and provide your daughter's last physical check up (which includes all her shots and vaccinations). So I don't see why they can't require the COVID-19 vaccination, unlike an employer.

Just for clarification to my statement above, here is the list of vaccinations my son's college requires (copied from their web site). So just add another one to the list.

Meningitis

New York State law (Public Health Law 2167) requires us to distribute information about meningococcal disease and vaccination to all students. Please talk with your healthcare provider about this vaccine. If you decide not to receive the meningococcal meningitis vaccine, you must sign the declination on the form in the health records portal.

MMR

All students enrolled in a New York State College must be in compliance with New York State Public Health Law 2165. Failure to meet these requirements may result in inability to attend classes and/or registration hold.

Measles

Two doses of live measles vaccine is required. The first dose must have been received no more than 4 days prior to the student’s first birthday and 2nd dose no less than 28 days after the first dose. (MMR series fulfills this requirement)

Mumps

One dose of live mumps vaccine administered no more than 4 days prior to the students first birthday. (MMR series fulfills this requirement)

Rubella

One dose of live rubella vaccine administered no more than four days prior to the student’s first birthday. (MMR series fulfills this requirement)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wonder if other schools in the northeast will follow with a similar requirement. Interesting.

If we can't get to the vaccination numbers for herd immunity I hope every school, workplace, stadium, bar/restaurant, airline etc. does this.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'd imagine most colleges are going to require it for the fall semester. As @aburks41 said most schools already require you to have a bunch of other vaccinations, so this is just another one. I think the college my son attends asked him to get a new tetanus shot before he got to campus after we sent his medical information in.

@HuskyHawk, you haven't sent your daughter to college yet. Just wait until you have to fill out the medical form and provide your daughter's last physical check up (which includes all her shots and vaccinations). So I don't see why they can't require the COVID-19 vaccination, unlike an employer.

Because it is considered an experimental treatment. It isn't FDA approved. By federal law it cannot be made mandatory. Not sure if anybody bothered to read the article I linked. It isn't like all the other fully approved vaccines.

We have had to provide all that stuff to her high school every year. Is it that much worse for college?

Reaction Score
Because it is considered an experimental treatment. It isn't FDA approved. By federal law it cannot be made mandatory. Not sure if anybody bothered to read the article I linked. It isn't like all the other fully approved vaccines.

We have had to provide all that stuff to her high school every year. Is it that much worse for college?
It will be approved long before next fall. By that time, they will have had 1 1/2 year's worth of information on the initial studies.

Reaction Score
It will be approved long before next fall. By that time, they will have had 1 1/2 year's worth of information on the initial studies.
And yet, there still may not be enough for people that age to even GET one. That age demographic will literally be THE LAST to get access to the vaccine

Reaction Score
And yet, there still may not be enough for people that age to even GET one. That age demographic will literally be THE LAST to get access to the vaccine

Changing daily... CT just changed from 4/5 to 4/1 for 16 and older.

1616707019782.png

Reaction Score
It might depend on where you live. In North Carolina college students are next up and are eligible to be vaccinated starting April 5th I believe. Vaccines seem to be increasingly available here.

When at UConn someone got meningitis and everyone was required to get vaccinated in order to stay enrolled. I would expect most if not all colleges will require this in the fall assuming everyone has had a reasonable chance to get it. And if they haven't I bet the school will have an allocation by then.

I expect to see it other places. Possibly all air travel but at least if you plan on flying abroad to most places, I think they're going to require it. This list will likely grow.

Edit: North Carolina just moved up the date for college students to March 31

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If they require then Rutgers should pay for it, any school for that matter.

Reaction Score
Our tax dollars already paid for it, the vaccine is free. It probably won’t cost anything until it becomes a yearly vaccine like the flu shot (if that happens to be the case)

Reaction Score
By summer there will be enough vaccine for every American to be vaccinated.
And as soon as the vaccine is available to every demographic, everything should be 100% open. If someone can get one and they choose not to, then the risk is on them. The rest of us should be allowed back into to sporting events, maskless, and normal life again

Reaction Score
The feds, the states, we're all paying for it anyway.

I think it was 1993 when students at UConn were all getting shots for something. Can't remember what it was for but I don't think it was mandatory.

Reaction Score
That is going to be interesting. I suspect it will be challenged. The Vaccine available under an emergency use authorization, so can't be required by employers for example. Not sure schools would be different.

Edit: Google providing a lot of what seems like misinformation about this, looking at other vaccines. Employers can't require Covid-19 vaccination under an EUA - STAT (statnews.com)
Until full authorization it can't be required. That is the argument many military personnel are using when they refuse.

Reaction Score
Interesting. Understand there are legal ramifications but in our school district, all students need to have a immunization form filled out before a student enters school. This includes DTP, MMR and polio vaccines. I personally think that a virus that has killed close to 3MM globally and caused global havoc should be on the same required list as the other vaccines.
I agree but the others aren't for only approved for emergency use. School nurse for 26 years. Last 13 I worked in a special ed school associated with a hospital - they made the flu shot a requirement for employment and had to have all my titers done even though I had proof of disease/vaccination for everything else.

Reaction Score
There will be enough vaccines for all by then.

Reaction Score
And as soon as the vaccine is available to every demographic, everything should be 100% open. If someone can get one and they choose not to, then the risk is on them. The rest of us should be allowed back into to sporting events, maskless, and normal life again
I'm not sure we'll see that happen everywhere. If the adoption rate doesn't go up there will still be plenty of the disease circulating and it will continue to mutate. Sooner or later there will be a variant for which these vaccines don't work. I can envision things like indoor sporting events or air travel continuing to require masks. If more people get on board maybe we can avoid that.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It might depend on where you live. In North Carolina college students are next up and are eligible to be vaccinated starting April 5th I believe. Vaccines seem to be increasingly available here.

When at UConn someone got meningitis and everyone was required to get vaccinated in order to stay enrolled. I would expect most if not all colleges will require this in the fall assuming everyone has had a reasonable chance to get it. And if they haven't I bet the school will have an allocation by then.

I expect to see it other places. Possibly all air travel but at least if you plan on flying abroad to most places, I think they're going to require it. This list will likely grow.

Edit: North Carolina just moved up the date for college students to March 31

Colleges have much more freedom with fully approved vaccines. Ift here is an outbreak on campus they can mandate certain vaccines.

The gray area is mandating vaccines in emergency or temporary status.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom