2023 Recruiting: - Ross Update | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Ross Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

You can find highlights of his game VS Oak Hill on this persons Insta story. Kid is criminally under the radar, I think he’s got the second best chance to play right away.

caw

Reaction Score
Is Oakhill not good anymore? Kind of stopped paying attention to high school ball.

Nice highlights, worth a look. He keeps looking better. Like that the creator put the kids @ for each clip so it's easy to flip through to his clips.

Not sure he has the second highest chance of playing it's a very good class and it's still highly in the air who will be on the roster. The only player we 100% know won't be back is Joey I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong but Newton/Alleyne technically can play another year.

Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong but Newton/Alleyne technically can play another year.
correct but if they both come back, that’ll be 4 players over the scholarship limit (this is assuming sanogo, Hawkins and Jackson all return too, which is very unlikely).

Reaction Score
correct but if they both come back, that’ll be 4 players over the scholarship limit (this is assuming sanogo, Hawkins and Jackson all return too, which is very unlikely).
I think we can safely assume Newton and Alleyne will move on, Sanogo will go pro (somewhere). There's a chance Hawkins declares for the draft, or if not there are other ways to get to the scholarship limit.

Reaction Score
I think we can safely assume Newton and Alleyne will move on, Sanogo will go pro (somewhere). There's a chance Hawkins declares for the draft, or if not there are other ways to get to the scholarship limit.
Newton, most likely yes. But if Alleyne comes on strong to end the year, I’d take a long hard look at bringing him back next year if he wants to return. Doesn’t hurt that he’s close with Castle so there might already be some chemistry there.

caw

Reaction Score
Newton, most likely yes. But if Alleyne comes on strong to end the year, I’d take a long hard look at bringing him back next year if he wants to return. Doesn’t hurt that he’s close with Castle so there might already be some chemistry there.

Newton because Castle is coming in? I can't imagine the coaches wouldn't want him back, he has been more than good this year. Or are you assuming he will try to play overseas?

Reaction Score
Newton because Castle is coming in? I can't imagine the coaches wouldn't want him back, he has been more than good this year. Or are you assuming he will try to play overseas?
Would love TN back as well, and I’m sure the staff would too, but yeah, I’m assuming he’ll want to start getting a paycheck.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Hawkins is most likely to go pro IMO, then Sanogo. I don't expect either back next year, but would be particularly surprised if Hawkins came back.

Reaction Score
Is Oakhill not good anymore? Kind of stopped paying attention to high school ball.

They're still very good, just having a down year or two. They've had some weird personnel issues with decommitments and such.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Sanogo and Hawkins need to be gone.

Between Jackson and Newton, I'll guess one comes back. Both should go if they're assured getting drafted somewhere in the second round. Not sure either will though.

I have a feeling Alleyne stays.
Agree with you.. I would anticipate that year -end performances ..BET/Tournament.. Will affect draft position/decisions for some.. See how it plays out.. Team success/visibility will influence individual options.

Reaction Score
Hawkins could be a top 10 pick if he stays..Huge difference compared to the end of the first round. I think he should stay.

But it really depends on how the year pans out.

Out of the 50 top-10 picks in the last 5 years, only 3 juniors or seniors--2 of whom were young for their class. Couple that with Hawkins's history of injuries and the (extremely strong) possibility of not performing better enough to get a higher draft position? Staying would be an absolutely stupid idea.

If Hawkins wants to stay, Hurley needs to throw him out of Werth and pull his scholarship.

Reaction Score

Granted it’s a highlight tape, but he looks a lot more athletic and aggressive than I remember seeing from EYBL

Assuming Hawkins leaves, we’ll need a lot of help with perimeter shooting next year. I assumed Ross would be a 4 year development piece and would barely see the court freshman year. But maybe he slots in a few minutes here and there when the offense is dry.

As it stands there will be a big fight for minutes next year, and lighting it up from three is a great way to guarantee minutes. He’ll be fighting with Andre, Stewart, and maybe Alleyne for those minutes

Reaction Score
Get Ross on a meal plan and SnC and he is going to be a great addition in Storrs.. Has a smooth stroke

Reaction Score
If he finishes the year average 40%+ from deep and 20ppg like he has been the last month... I can't see him dropping below 20.
That's the thing with Hawkins and people wanting him to stay in my mind - realistically, what can he improve? Play a whole season doing what he's been doing in Big East play? Become an Andre Jackson-level defender over the off-season? Ball-dominant #1 option? I don't see anything he could do to materially improve his draft stock next year. He is what he is - a microwave from three, great midrange game, and a plus but not elite defender. There's nothing left for him to prove at UConn after this year.

Reaction Score
That's the thing with Hawkins and people wanting him to stay in my mind - realistically, what can he improve? Play a whole season doing what he's been doing in Big East play? Become an Andre Jackson-level defender over the off-season? Ball-dominant #1 option? I don't see anything he could do to materially improve his draft stock next year. He is what he is - a microwave from three, great midrange game, and a plus but not elite defender. There's nothing left for him to prove at UConn after this year.

Same with Sanogo. He isn't going to learn to be KD in an off-season. He's just about maxing out what a 6'8 post player can be.

Could improve passing... but that isn't something you can just work on in an off-season like shooting.

Reaction Score
He needs to get better at drive & dish/finish. He’s shown some flashes of that, but taking his man 1v1 isn’t a strength yet. Add that, and he can be a starting NBA 2.

Reaction Score
He needs to get better at drive & dish/finish. He’s shown some flashes of that, but taking his man 1v1 isn’t a strength yet. Add that, and he can be a starting NBA 2.

He will add that. With a huge team of full-time trainers, coaches, S&C staff, a private chef, no practice minutes restrictions and millions of dollars in his bank account. All with better players to pit himself against every day on the court.

It's a no brainer.

Reaction Score
And even that he's gone from 44% at the rim freshman year to 59% this year. Still don't think he's at the point to play 1v1 and break down his man, but he's been much better around the rim

Reaction Score
Stupid question probably, but do some players ever stay because they think next year they will be NCAA champions and they want to be part of that? Risk of injury is a factor- get the money with a pro contract now rather than risk becoming hurt- but his game won't worsen with another year, he'll still be a deadly shooter, and pro teams would still want a deadly shooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom