Rodney Purvis franchise best 40 points | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rodney Purvis franchise best 40 points

Reaction Score
Is it possible he can suddenly hold onto the ball when going up instead of losing it or dribbling off his foot? And the misses on the backboard but no rim were numerous too. He really has no excuse for college other than he did underachieve but played hard and was able to win some games with his defense and shooting.
Or, maybe he is playing for a better coach. Maybe he is being developed. Maybe he is working within a coherent offense. Maybe he isn't distracted by off-court stupidity.

Reaction Score
Im not enamored with KO's player development history but 99.9% of Rodneys issues here belonged entirely to Rodney. I think he even recognizes it.
He didn't say that. Stop putting words in his mouth. It was the coach.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
He didn't say that. Stop putting words in his mouth. It was the coach.

Man you are a dangerous combination of unhinged and stupid.

“I know, in college, I really underachieved,” Purvis said. “I understood that. … I felt like I wasn’t able to be as consistent as I wanted to."

Reaction Score
Purvis never ever had that floater at Uconn, nice to see him develop his offensive repitaor.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Well if we had people actually roll to the lane and make themselves a threat on the pick and roll he wouldn't have 3 guys to beat every time he goes to the hole. They should actually have Larrier run a pick and pop with him instead because then Larrier's defender won't be able to hedge on Adams or he'd be leaving a good open 3 point shooter open, versus leaving a complete non-offensive threat open like any of our 4 or 5s.
Amen brother. Either pick n roll or pick and pop. Don't screen up top and then screen up top again.

Reaction Score
Or, maybe he is playing for a better coach. Maybe he is being developed. Maybe he is working within a coherent offense. Maybe he isn't distracted by off-court stupidity.

Maybe he's in a wide open, no one plays defense league? Give it up man, he wasn't a great player and some was KO, mostly it was on him because he had shortcomings as a player when here. Hopefully he's getting better but he was what he was as I said when here. Anything else you say is just a typical pile on by the haters. The guys not coaching well at all but to throw these 22 year olds who just really aren't that good in the pile is BS.

Reaction Score
Rodney did developed. Have we look at his free throw shooting, assist and defense. He was a much better player in his last two yrs then the first two. KO sell him on being a defense stopper and that is how he will make the league. The issue with him and it will remain an issue is his wingspan and small hands. He could not comfortably control the ball with one hand and that limits your finishing ability on drives to the rim. His PPG is not that much better when you take into account the PPG in the G league. I hope he will make it to the NBA soon. When he does, it will be for his defense and not offense

Reaction Score
Amen brother. Either pick n roll or pick and pop. Don't screen up top and then screen up top again.

Hate to see a screener stay for one then wait, then screen another. There's a nice way to stop any flow of movement and I saw it with Whaley a couple of time last game as well as Kwintin later in the game. Keep the movement going please, and roll with the hand up looking for the ball and it doesn't come rebound or look to screen low this isn't rocket science, well maybe it....

Reaction Score
You still have to wonder what the heck was happening in Storrs to have Rodney look so average here and now he's threatening to be an NBA player. There were literally dozens of posts stating Purvis would never play in the NBA. The people who made those posts were not being unreasonable. It seemed rather obvious that Purvis was Europe bound. Now look, 6 months later this guy is playing well in D League and 8 months later he scores 40. You just have to wonder.
I never thought Rodney looked so average. Now inconsistent he was but he showed flashes of this every season and was a decent player. I would definitely prefer him than Anderson and vital at the 2 guard this year.

Reaction Score
I never thought Rodney looked so average. Now inconsistent he was but he showed flashes of this every season and was a decent player. I would definitely prefer him than Anderson and vital at the 2 guard this year.

Average wasn’t a good choice of words. How about above average? What I mean is that despite him being a “good” college player, his jumper was more of a set shot with a kind of slow release, he couldn’t finish very well and he didn’t do much mid-range work. Now, he has a nice floater, his jumper is more fluid, he looks for the jumper around the free throw line off a couple of dribbles and he seems to be in much better control handling and distributing the ball.

Reaction Score
You still have to wonder what the heck was happening in Storrs to have Rodney look so average here and now he's threatening to be an NBA player. There were literally dozens of posts stating Purvis would never play in the NBA. The people who made those posts were not being unreasonable. It seemed rather obvious that Purvis was Europe bound. Now look, 6 months later this guy is playing well in D League and 8 months later he scores 40. You just have to wonder.
Read earlier posts on floor and game spacing

Reaction Score
Rodney did developed. Have we look at his free throw shooting, assist and defense. He was a much better player in his last two yrs then the first two. KO sell him on being a defense stopper and that is how he will make the league. The issue with him and it will remain an issue is his wingspan and small hands. He could not comfortably control the ball with one hand and that limits your finishing ability on drives to the rim. His PPG is not that much better when you take into account the PPG in the G league. I hope he will make it to the NBA soon. When he does, it will be for his defense and not offense
Agree. And he was really good at the ends of the season. You only take Ferrari’s out in good weather and the spring. So ko was technically right about him

Reaction Score
Read earlier posts on floor and game spacing

Of course, Rodney said it himself, but spacing doesn’t give you new skills. He worked on things in the last 6 months. He is a much better player now. That makes me wonder if he is getting good coaching on fundamentals and specific instruction on how to improve that he wasn’t getting before. He is a mechanically better player in multiple areas.

Reaction Score
Of course, Rodney said it himself, but spacing doesn’t give you new skills. He worked on things in the last 6 months. He is a much better player now. That makes me wonder if he is getting good coaching on fundamentals and specific instruction on how to improve that he wasn’t getting before. He is a mechanically better player in multiple areas.
Really this post of him being better coached is kinda ridiculous. What athlete or graduate is not better when dedicating 8-12 hours a day with top notch and dedicated training, attention, and financial compensation to improve. Are you saying ray/rip/cliff/Scotty/Kareem/Isaiah / etc didn’t get better as a pro?

Reaction Score
Man you are a dangerous combination of unhinged and stupid.

“I know, in college, I really underachieved,” Purvis said. “I understood that. … I felt like I wasn’t able to be as consistent as I wanted to."
That's some funny . You have no idea who you are talking to. So, listen up moron, read the quotes you posted and ask where he said WHY those things happened? He was being nice by not saying IT WAS THE COACH. Jesus you are dense. You keep fighting the good fight sparky.

Reaction Score
Really this post of him being better coached is kinda ridiculous. What athlete or graduate is not better when dedicating 8-12 hours a day with top notch and dedicated training, attention, and financial compensation to improve. Are you saying ray/rip/cliff/Scotty/Kareem/Isaiah / etc didn’t get better as a pro?

Most guys don’t get better that fast by playing against better players. Purvis is lighting up bigger, better players than he was in college. For that to happen immediately is strange. Normally, you struggle at first. He’s got to be getting some good instruction somewhere.

C

Chief00

Wow, interesting article that requires some reading between the lines.
1) Purvis hints that UConn has swung too far in their APR overreaction. Between classes and tutors, they don’t have time to focus on basketball. This backs up what Chief has been saying for a few years.
2) Purvis dossn’t show much love for Adams or Larrier - he calls out Anderson for defense, doing the little things and being a team player. He talks about other dudes just wamting to score in the box score.
3) Purvis mentions an improved body - again if you have been reading Chief the last few years this is no surprise - UConn had a very usual S&C coach, who got fired.
4) He talks about having more fun playing now with a PG who can get him the ball in the right places. Ironically, KO’s failure to develop a point guard after Bazz is perhaps the biggest negative surprise.

Chief could go on but wanted to get those observations out to the fans.

Reaction Score
4) He talks about having more fun playing now with a PG who can get him the ball in the right places. Ironically, KO’s failure to develop a point guard after Bazz is perhaps the biggest negative surprise.

I don't think JA's shortcomings is all on Ollie. Uninspired play, silly turnovers for example isn't on KO. JA is a big boy now and a upperclassman. He should know how to handle himself on the court without KO doing it for him.

Reaction Score
Disagree Zen, JA has way too many turnovers that are just careless. He does not seem to be dialed in especially at the start of games. Missing free throws and open looks game after game out of the chute. No improvement in his outside shooting. Not taking coaching well and giving lip back to KO. The staff is not helping him to get better and that is their job. If he is going to turn it over early sit him down.

C

Chief00

I don't think JA's shortcomings is all on Ollie. Uninspired play, silly turnovers for example isn't on KO. JA is a big boy now and a upperclassman. He should know how to handle himself on the court without KO doing it for him.
KO strength is suppose to be his ability to mentor guards. KO needs to have better developmental outcomes, especially with guards that do have some talent.

Reaction Score
N
Most guys don’t get better that fast by playing against better players. Purvis is lighting up bigger, better players than he was in college. For that to happen immediately is strange. Normally, you struggle at first. He’s got to be getting some good instruction somewhere.
Non combative shrug emoji

Reaction Score
Disagree Zen, JA has way too many turnovers that are just careless. He does not seem to be dialed in especially at the start of games. Missing free throws and open looks game after game out of the chute. No improvement in his outside shooting. Not taking coaching well and giving lip back to KO. The staff is not helping him to get better and that is their job. If he is going to turn it over early sit him down.

Then how much of it is on JA's shoulders? Is having too many careless turnovers and not being dialed in at the start of games on KO? No improvement on outside shooting? That's not on KO. That's on JA. He needs to put that practice time in on his own.

The kid has been here for 3 years. Kemba got it, Bazz got it both being mentored by KO. I could understand if JA was a freshman or a sophomore and needs more coaching, but he's a junior. As an upperclassman, much is to be expected and he's the one that should do the mentoring - someone that the underclassmen can lean on.

Reaction Score
KO strength is suppose to be his ability to mentor guards. KO needs to have better developmental outcomes, especially with guards that do have some talent.
KO can mentor all he wants, but he can't play the game for JA. Since you seem to have the inside scoop :), do you know if JA's been putting his work in outside of the 20 hours of practice a coach is allowed to have with his players?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom