Rodney Purvis franchise best 40 points | The Boneyard

Rodney Purvis franchise best 40 points

Reaction Score
Good article from Dom Amore on Purvis.

“I know, in college, I really underachieved,” Purvis said. “I understood that. … I felt like I wasn’t able to be as consistent as I wanted to. The game in college is really tight, it’s really compact. With the NBA game flow, how fast the shot clock is, you get more possessions and for a guy like me who likes to get up and down, breaking guys down and getting to the basket with space, it’s really helped me a lot more. I’m not going to sit here and make excuses about college or whatever, I don’t know, I just feel I’m able to be myself more now, and be in control of what I want to be.”

Former Husky Rodney Purvis Finds His Niche In NBA's G League

Reaction Score

“I know, in college, I really underachieved,” Purvis said. “I understood that. … I felt like I wasn’t able to be as consistent as I wanted to. The game in college is really tight, it’s really compact. With the NBA game flow, how fast the shot clock is, you get more possessions and for a guy like me who likes to get up and down, breaking guys down and getting to the basket with space, it’s really helped me a lot more. I’m not going to sit here and make excuses about college or whatever, I don’t know, I just feel I’m able to be myself more now, and be in control of what I want to be.”

Basically he is thriving in an actual NBA style offense

Reaction Score
Basically he is thriving in an actual NBA style offense
Yes and softer non playoff defense.
Ironically, what if Ollie’s IS getting these ready for this level?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The defenses he is facing now are worlds better than anything he saw in the AAC.

“Non playoff defense” lol everyone in the G league is playing like their careers could end tomorrow.

You are 100% correct. The apologists will grasp at any straw they can find now.

Reaction Score
More accurately he's thriving with NBA style spacing and screening

Yup. Lanes/ paint area are 4 ft wider or 60 sq ft larger. And the 3 point line is 3 ft further which equates to approximately 188.5 sq ft more room inside the 3 point line.

Much more room and spacing for driving lanes and with the defensive 3 second rule it makes it even easier to get to the rim or an area for a high percentage shot

Reaction Score
Jalen is reading that quote and packing his bags as we speak

Reaction Score
Good for Rodney, one of the all-time classiest guys to don a UConn uniform. Hope he gets a call up soon. Funny how his back court mate is former UConn killer Troy Caupain who caused us much pain over the years.

Reaction Score
Yup. Lanes/ paint area are 4 ft wider or 60 sq ft larger. And the 3 point line is 3 ft further which equates to approximately 188.5 sq ft more room inside the 3 point line.

Much more room and spacing for driving lanes and with the defensive 3 second rule it makes it even easier to get to the rim or an area for a high percentage shot
And yet the bodies, athletes, and preparation at that level would negate at least some of that expanded space, no?

Rodney is going from the AAC where he faced a half dozen NBA prospects all year to now, where it’s all he’s facing.

Reaction Score
Jalen is reading that quote and packing his bags as we speak

Well if we had people actually roll to the lane and make themselves a threat on the pick and roll he wouldn't have 3 guys to beat every time he goes to the hole. They should actually have Larrier run a pick and pop with him instead because then Larrier's defender won't be able to hedge on Adams or he'd be leaving a good open 3 point shooter open, versus leaving a complete non-offensive threat open like any of our 4 or 5s.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Rodney is greatly missed this year. He’s right, underachieved here but never for lack of effort. He was never a great finisher. We only saw a couple of those thunderous dunks we were drooling over on his highlight tapes. However he greatly improved his shot and always played the right way.

I also feel like he’s the poster child for our terrible strength and conditioning. He was built like a fullback when he got here but left much more wiry. I wonder if that was intentional though. Daniel “ I have never actually lifted a weight” Hamilton is much bigger these days. He must actually have some yelling at him that he has to lift
#chiefrant

Reaction Score

Is it possible he can suddenly hold onto the ball when going up instead of losing it or dribbling off his foot? And the misses on the backboard but no rim were numerous too. He really has no excuse for college other than he did underachieve but played hard and was able to win some games with his defense and shooting.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Still waiting for the Ultimate Rodney Highlights-Lowlights Combo Mixtape.
I am sure I wouldn't be alone in loving it.

Reaction Score
You still have to wonder what the heck was happening in Storrs to have Rodney look so average here and now he's threatening to be an NBA player. There were literally dozens of posts stating Purvis would never play in the NBA. The people who made those posts were not being unreasonable. It seemed rather obvious that Purvis was Europe bound. Now look, 6 months later this guy is playing well in D League and 8 months later he scores 40. You just have to wonder.

Reaction Score
You still have to wonder what the heck was happening in Storrs to have Rodney look so average here and now he's threatening to be an NBA player. There were literally dozens of posts stating Purvis would never play in the NBA. The people who made those posts were not being unreasonable. It seemed rather obvious that Purvis was Europe bound. Now look, 6 months later this guy is playing well in D League and 8 months later he scores 40. You just have to wonder.

complete incompetency by the coach...

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
image.jpg
Brimah and Purvis are definitely missed. We don't get blown out to Arkansas, Arizona, and Auburn with those two - we would lose by 10-14.
Post of the year!!! Lmao

Reaction Score

Rodney was a great athlete who could run and when he got over his early season funk turned into a decent shooter. He was plain awful at the beginning of last year.
His athletism was outstanding and certainly NBA worthy .
What he couldn’t do was create his own shot or put the ball on the floor against a packed D. Few in college can
He is playing with a good PG in G league, a player with his skill set has to.
Does he have a better handle ,is he thriving in an open up and down environment,or his the Cinncy kid finding him in good spots. I would have to see him play.
Brimah scored 40 in a game. That means little unless in context.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Im not enamored with KO's player development history but 99.9% of Rodneys issues here belonged entirely to Rodney. I think he even recognizes it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom