Rocket Watts? | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Rocket Watts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not sure we lead (not heard either way) but compared to others we have the the best shot
trying not to interpret this to mean we currently have 0 realistic targets other than watts, who might still be a very long shot

Reaction Score
It's a strange case where I look at this team and it feels like we're 1 legit guard/wing away from being a top 15 team, and at the same time it's hard to find minutes for that guy
No it’s not. Cole and Gaffney really aren’t that good.

Reaction Score
It’s insane. “Oh my god, __ ____ is available? Every one of his stats is worse than the current members of the team who play his position. We NEED him.”
Could be one of those "Grass is always greener" posters that we seem to have. But let me tell you, when you realize that it isn't...get the hell off my lawn!! ?

Reaction Score
Could be one of those "Grass is always greener" posters that we seem to have. But let me tell you, when you realize that it isn't...get the hell off my lawn!! ?

I mean, I get the appeal of a kid like Watts. He was highly touted coming out of high school, and he's a tough, athletic lead guard. But even in high school he was primarily beating up on other high school point guards because he's got a strong frame, broad shoulders, and he's a pretty athletic kid (and playing with Lamelo Ball didn't hurt.) But acting like he's automatically going to supplant Cole or like he's the key to what ails this team is a little silly. If he wants to come and be a rotation guy and earn his minutes like everybody else, fine, but the lengths some people are going to denigrate the players on this roster and fawning over this kid is a little ridiculous.

Reaction Score
I mean, I get the appeal of a kid like Watts. He was highly touted coming out of high school, and he's a tough, athletic lead guard. But even in high school he was primarily beating up on other high school point guards because he's got a strong frame, broad shoulders, and he's a pretty athletic kid (and playing with Lamelo Ball didn't hurt.) But acting like he's automatically going to supplant Cole or like he's the key to what ails this team is a little silly. If he wants to come and be a rotation guy and earn his minutes like everybody else, fine, but the lengths some people are going to denigrate the players on this roster and fawning over this kid is a little ridiculous.
Well said. I like our players. I simply want to add more talent that can create off the dribble. Cole is my favorite player right now and I’m dying for Gaffney to reach his potential.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
What were Kemba’s shooting numbers his sophomore year compared to his Junior year? Percentages probably don’t tell the whole story especially when trying to predict improvement in a new system. The mental side of the game is such a huge factor when it comes to game performance
kemba from yr 2 to yr 3;
40% to 43% on overall fgs.
34% to 33% on 3s.
he also went from 370 to 740 attempts.

Reaction Score
kemba from yr 2 to yr 3;
40% to 43% on overall fgs.
34% to 33% on 3s.
he also went from 370 to 740 attempts.
Got it, I would have thought his 3p percent shot up a lot more or does that not count tournament play?
My point is that improvement is definitely possible still because he is young with potential.
Though to your point, it may not be enough to be the impact we are looking for.
If Hurley believes in him, than I do.

Reaction Score
Rocket's struggles at Michigan State this year because he got forced into playing PG which was not his natural position. He was much better as a shooting guard his freshman year. The reason they moved him to PG is because he doesn't shoot good enough to be a shooting guard. I still see Cole as our primary ball handler and Diggins will handle the point for probably 10-15 mins/game as needed. If we brought in Rocket, he'd be competing with Gaffney. By all accounts Gaffney is a better shooter and has higher upside (in my opinion). Rocket has a better build and is stronger. The only way it would benefit the team is maybe it would push Gaffney to step up and play to his potential. I'd personally rather sign up a 6' 3"-6' 6" who can shoot the lights out and play either the 2 or the 3. Cole showed a nice mid-range pullup game and I expect that will continue. Gaffney is actually pretty good getting to the rim when he decides to, we're still working with him on that. I can confirm the rumors that we may be pulling in someone from overseas, but nothing firm as of right now. I'm not hating on Rocket, just don't think he's exactly the fit we need.

Reaction Score
Got it, I would have thought his 3p percent shot up a lot more or does that not count tournament play?
My point is that improvement is definitely possible still because he is young with potential.
Though to your point, it may not be enough to be the impact we are looking for.
If Hurley believes in him, than I do.
He was taking more much high degree of difficulty threes as a junior. Sophomore year people were going under screens and giving him the open 3 as much as he wanted. Junior year nobody was giving him anything and he had to have a quick trigger. He also slumped a bit in February as he wore down a bit and BE defenses were swarming him. Lamb becoming a bonafide No. 2 wing man down the stretch was really huge to take some attention elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Rocket's struggles at Michigan State this year because he got forced into playing PG which was not his natural position. He was much better as a shooting guard his freshman year. The reason they moved him to PG is because he doesn't shoot good enough to be a shooting guard. I still see Cole as our primary ball handler and Diggins will handle the point for probably 10-15 mins/game as needed. If we brought in Rocket, he'd be competing with Gaffney. By all accounts Gaffney is a better shooter and has higher upside (in my opinion). Rocket has a better build and is stronger. The only way it would benefit the team is maybe it would push Gaffney to step up and play to his potential. I'd personally rather sign up a 6' 3"-6' 6" who can shoot the lights out and play either the 2 or the 3. Cole showed a nice mid-range pullup game and I expect that will continue. Gaffney is actually pretty good getting to the rim when he decides to, we're still working with him on that. I can confirm the rumors that we may be pulling in someone from overseas, but nothing firm as of right now. I'm not hating on Rocket, just don't think he's exactly the fit we need.
All these transfers and we’re looking to pull someone from overseas? Not sure what that means but, Ok.

Reaction Score
Not trying to be a wise guy here, but what qualifies you to be able to confirm rumors about possibly getting a player from overseas? Just curious.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'm all for anyone who can create their own shot, make the shots they take, find teammates in good position to take (& make) good shots, or any combination of those three.

Quite a few posts here read like little more than competitive hot take equivalents of hero ball being played with adjectives.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Who? It doesn’t really seem we have that many options. Stand pat means stay as we are. No way.

Rocket Watts has skills that none of our players have. Fatts Russell wasn’t good enough for this board either. He’s headed to Maryland, a team that thumped us. We’ve got to get real. We need a dynamic player. Rocket is dynamic. He needs to be coached to choose shots more wisely, but he’s a natural slasher and creator. I watched MSU this year and I actually wished we had him. He’s a young player that needs coaching and practice. Rocket is by no means a finished product. He isn’t a grad transfer, he’s a kid.
He's entering his junior year.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
No he’s just a more fluent basketball player, with significantly better guard skills than Gaff. I think he was misused at Mich St. Gaffney is not a primary ball handler, Watts is
The reason he is leaving MS is because Izzo wanted him to be the primary ball handler (point guard) and he doesn't want that. He wants to be the primary shooting guard and he can't shoot. This reminds me of Vance Jackson (and his father) or Roscoe Smith (who I loved as a rebounding machine) who fancied themselves as perimeter 3's or stretch 4 popping threes and they couldn't shoot from distance or drive. Kid is like so many others who seem to have all kinds of potential because of athletic ability but never seem to realize their potential due to one or more factors. When you think you know more than the coach your getting warm as to where the problem is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom