Rocket Watts? | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Rocket Watts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was astonished to learn that two of our "two point guard" teams that won NCs in 11 and 14, actually had no point guards. It was a remarkable revelation.
Who said Bazz and Kemba weren’t pgs??????

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
I’ve got the utmost faith in Jordan Hawkins to nail down the 2 spot by mid season. Rocket Watts looks like he could be the guard depth we need if he’s willing to buy into the culture of family and winning that Hurley has fostered. I’m glad he’s interested. Could be a special year!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Who said Bazz and Kemba weren’t pgs??????

Your definition of the position. Marcus Williams would fit. But a player who is his team's primary scorer really would not.

Reaction Score
So there's what, 10 PGs in the country? The other 347 schools are just running out combo guards?
Did you think the quality of college basketball sucks because there's too many good players?

Reaction Score
Your definition of the position. Marcus Williams would fit. But a player who is his team's primary scorer really would not.
perhaps they fall into the rare 50-50 pass v shoot PG category. equal parts elite facilitator and elite scorer. only the best qualify.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
perhaps they fall into the rare 50-50 pass v shoot PG category. equal parts elite facilitator and elite scorer. only the best qualify.
paige bueckers. i hear that she won 'best playa in the land' as a freshman.

Reaction Score
Marcus pretty much was our primary scorer at the end of the year. Definitely was in the NCAA tourney. That was the downfall of that team; he was our only reliable ball handler who could get his own shot off.

Man, Marcus doesn’t get talked about enough. He was so good. Him and AJ Price. Two most underrated Huskies ever.

Reaction Score
My definition was someone who could run an offense. You have me confused with someone else......or you just pulled some bs out of you a

Reaction Score
Even if you want to say he was decent from 3 in those games, which I would disagree with, he was 5-27 on 2s, and when you combine those it's just not good.
Cole shot 38.6% from three in the year. In nine games against Tier A competition (per Ken Pom), he shot...38.6% from three. His two-point shooting percentage was lower against Tier A teams (31.6% compared to 38.7% overall), but his offensive rating was barely lower in Tier A games (111.9 vs. 112.2), with fewer turnovers and better free throw shooting against better teams. No, he’s not on par with our All-American guards of the past, but I think he’s going to be excellent next year.

Reaction Score
Cole shot 38.6% from three in the year. In nine games against Tier A competition (per Ken Pom), he shot...38.6% from three. His two-point shooting percentage was lower against Tier A teams (31.6% compared to 38.7% overall), but his offensive rating was barely lower in Tier A games (111.9 vs. 112.2), with fewer turnovers and better free throw shooting against better teams. No, he’s not on par with our All-American guards of the past, but I think he’s going to be excellent next year.
I may be out there by myself, the key to next year is not how solid players who wouldn't have had big roles in the best UConn teams of the past 30 years: Cole, Gaffney, Martin, Polley and IW -- are going to play. They are who they are. The key to next year is what we get out of Sanogo, Akok and Jackson -- three players who came here with the chance to be All America level players and are a long way from it.

Reaction Score
Rocket's struggles at Michigan State this year because he got forced into playing PG which was not his natural position. He was much better as a shooting guard his freshman year. The reason they moved him to PG is because he doesn't shoot good enough to be a shooting guard. I still see Cole as our primary ball handler and Diggins will handle the point for probably 10-15 mins/game as needed. If we brought in Rocket, he'd be competing with Gaffney. By all accounts Gaffney is a better shooter and has higher upside (in my opinion). Rocket has a better build and is stronger. The only way it would benefit the team is maybe it would push Gaffney to step up and play to his potential. I'd personally rather sign up a 6' 3"-6' 6" who can shoot the lights out and play either the 2 or the 3. Cole showed a nice mid-range pullup game and I expect that will continue. Gaffney is actually pretty good getting to the rim when he decides to, we're still working with him on that. I can confirm the rumors that we may be pulling in someone from overseas, but nothing firm as of right now. I'm not hating on Rocket, just don't think he's exactly the fit we need.
Don't we already have a SG that can't shoot in Jackson? If the staff thinks Watts would improve the team than I hope he comes here. But I be
Marcus pretty much was our primary scorer at the end of the year. Definitely was in the NCAA tourney. That was the downfall of that team; he was our only reliable ball handler who could get his own shot off.

Man, Marcus doesn’t get talked about enough. He was so good. Him and AJ Price. Two most underrated Huskies ever.
let's not forget Andre Dyson

Reaction Score
I may be out there by myself, the key to next year is not how solid players who wouldn't have had big roles in the best UConn teams of the past 30 years: Cole, Gaffney, Martin, Polley and IW -- are going to play. They are who they are. The key to next year is what we get out of Sanogo, Akok and Jackson -- three players who came here with the chance to be All America level players and are a long way from it.
Whattt?? Cole, Gaffney, Martin, Polley, and Whaley cant get any better???

Cole was making a big jump competition wise, sat out a year, and then had no preseason. Martin transferred in and had no preseason. Also both had multiple week+ covid breaks in their first year. And while inconsistent, they were both pretty damn good this year. Polley was coming off ACL surgery with a short recovery andddd. Wait for it... no preseason. Gaffney still hasn't had a preseason in 2 yrs. All he has to do to make a noticable leap is maintain some level of confidence. Whaley has gotten consistently better every year, and improved as much as any uconn player ever has in 4 years. But now he is what he is?? If he can add a consistent 3 ball, that will be huge for him and our offensive spacing.

So yeah im going to strongly disagree. All 5 of them can get a lot better. And I expect them to for all of those reasons.

Edit: martin will also benefit from bouk being gone. He stepped up bigtime when he was out then had a tough time adjusting and sort of faded down the stretch when bouk came back. So theres one more reason.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not to mention the Young Bucks coming in thinking they're the answer.All good

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My definition was someone who could run an offense. You have me confused with someone else......or you just pulled some bs out of you a

You said the below. Also that Boat wasn’t a PG when he clearly was. He and Bazz switched back and forth. There is no one guy that runs the offense. Few teams have such a player anymore even if they once did. Lakers offense mostly goes though Lebron, but nobody calls him a PG. It isn’t a big deal. Just don’t agree on the role. The primary ball handler is identified as the PG. The offense runs through the best facilitators. Usually more than one on a good team. Jackson is one for us. So was Bouknight.

It’s not a meaningless distinction. Primary ball handler has ZERO to do with position. Hamilton was the more of the pg on that team IMO. Boatright looked to score 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. His main job was to get open and create space. Not facilitate the offense. But that’s still irrelevant to my point. He was still a primary ball handler. Gaffney is not. Period

Reaction Score
Lakers offense mostly goes though Lebron, but nobody calls him a PG.

if this totally derails the thread (although it already is derailed lol), mods please delete. But I just cant resist.

Bron not being labeled a PG is basically a lebron driven narrative and media creation to boost his case vs MJ. “He averages 7.5 assists a game and he’s not even a point guard!”. 7 apg is solid, if unremarkable for a point guard. Its a lot more impressive for a sf. It drives me nuts when people say MJ couldnt pass when comparing the two. MJ was always near the top of the league in assists for shooting guards. You could make the argument that 6 apg for a sg who is dropping 35 every night is more impressive than 7.5 apg is for a pg who runs the entire offense. Similarly, lebrons scoring is overlooked for the same reason (27 ppg while running the offense). Although personally, im not a fan of the forearm shiver bowl the defender over, take 4 steps, and flail your arms in the air for a foul. Also known as “The Lebron”.

Reaction Score
if lebron was a point forward before he's a PG now. lakers most used lineup last year was: james, davis, kuzma, green, and pope. if lebron wasnt the PG who was?

Reaction Score
Whattt?? Cole, Gaffney, Martin, Polley, and Whaley cant get any better???

Cole was making a big jump competition wise, sat out a year, and then had no preseason. Martin transferred in and had no preseason. Also both had multiple week+ covid breaks in their first year. And while inconsistent, they were both pretty damn good this year. Polley was coming off ACL surgery with a short recovery andddd. Wait for it... no preseason. Gaffney still hasn't had a preseason in 2 yrs. All he has to do to make a noticable leap is maintain some level of confidence. Whaley has gotten consistently better every year, and improved as much as any uconn player ever has in 4 years. But now he is what he is?? If he can add a consistent 3 ball, that will be huge for him and our offensive spacing.

So yeah im going to strongly disagree. All 5 of them can get a lot better. And I expect them to for all of those reasons.

Edit: martin will also benefit from bouk being gone. He stepped up bigtime when he was out then had a tough time adjusting and sort of faded down the stretch when bouk came back. So theres one more reason.
I said they couldn’t get better? Where exactly? I am, however, recognizing their ceilings.

Reaction Score
I said they couldn’t get better? Where exactly? I am, however, recognizing their ceilings.

you said “they are who they are”. Indicating they won’t get better. Thats pretty much what that means. If they got better they wouldnt be what they are now lol

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I trust his shot too. Not too many difficult corner looks, almost a set shot, shot well both years at Howard. He’s a shooter.

Reaction Score
Member Rocket Watts?

Yeah I member.
1618638831045.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads