2021 Recruiting: - Rocket Watts rumor | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: Rocket Watts rumor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So can we talk about the utter lack of bars near campus?? This seems to be the appropriate place to discuss. During a former career right out of college, I spent a lot of time at a LOT of colleges and universities. I had never had such a difficult time finding an establishment as I had whenever I was at UConn. Why is this?? (Really am curious)

Oh and ummm.... Rocket Watts!

Reaction Score
So can we talk about the utter lack of bars near campus?? This seems to be the appropriate place to discuss. During a former career right out of college, I spent a lot of time at a LOT of colleges and universities. I had never had such a difficult time finding an establishment as I had whenever I was at UConn. Why is this?? (Really am curious)

Oh and ummm.... Rocket Watts!

There are 3 bars that are, essentially, on campus. If you know you know.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Did you not ask anyone when you were actually at UConn? Huskies and Ted's have been in operation for decades. They are as close to campus as you can get, literally bordering the property line.

Reaction Score
Did you not ask anyone when you were actually at UConn? Huskies and Ted's have been in operation for decades. They are as close to campus as you can get, literally bordering the property line.
And then there's that one above Sgt. Pep's. I think it has had a few names over the years. The latest one I recall is The Thirsty Dog.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There are 3 bars that are, essentially, on campus. If you know you know.

I get that there are very few bars in the vicinity of campus, compared to most big state schools. But I recall that Ted's used to run ads saying it was "one foot off campus", because it is. Living in Frats for two years, the walk to Ted's and Huskies was not exactly arduous.

Reaction Score
I get that there are very few bars in the vicinity of campus, compared to most big state schools. But I recall that Ted's used to run ads saying it was "one foot off campus", because it is. Living in Frats for two years, the walk to Ted's and Huskies was not exactly arduous.
UConn is not a bar school. It's a house party school (which I greatly preferred). As seniors, we used the bars on weekends for pregames but frequented more during the week for their specials.

Reaction Score
UConn is not a bar school. It's a house party school (which I greatly preferred). As seniors, we used the bars on weekends for pregames but frequented more during the week for their specials.
Same. I don't know if I ever went to a bar on a Friday or Saturday a single time while at UConn, with the possible exception of a Kegs and Eggs.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For those of us who are a little bit older, we remember the pub in the student union. It was pretty convenient, although not as convenient as the kegs and grain punch which were pretty much on every other floor Thurs and Friday.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
For those of us who are a little bit older, we remember the pub in the student union. It was pretty convenient, although not as convenient as the kegs and grain punch which were pretty much on every other floor Thurs and Friday.
I remember it well, mostly because I was arrested there for punching out ceiling tiles.

The best part about that story was the court appearance. Prior to my case, there were a couple of male students who were in court for shoplifting women's lingerie. Their excuse was that it was for Halloween, but pretty much everyone in court got giggity listening to the explanation.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I remember it well, mostly because I was arrested there for punching out ceiling tiles.

The best part about that story was the court appearance. Prior to my case, there were a couple of male students who were in court for shoplifting women's lingerie. Their excuse was that it was for Halloween, but pretty much everyone in court got giggity listening to the explanation.
“Son, can you explain why you punched out the ceiling tiles?”

“Because... alcohol?”

pierogiscri

the food guy
Reaction Score
Class of 2020 here, in my experience good luck going to a house party with more than 20 people that's not getting busted by the cops before 11. It seems like the only people who can take the fines associated with throwing bangers are frat's, and those are exclusive as all hell.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Someone may know the answer to this, but I believe the lack of bars in the actual town of Mansfield would be related to the maximum number of liquor permits the state allows per municipality/population. Back when I managed a package store in the 80's, there was a finite number of permits in each town and you had to buy an existing one to open your own store.

Reaction Score
Class of 2020 here, in my experience good luck going to a house party with more than 20 people that's not getting busted by the cops before 11. It seems like the only people who can take the fines associated with throwing bangers are frat's, and those are exclusive as all hell.

I graduated in 2013, maybe the last class to get the full UConn experience. Sorry about that, y’all got a raw deal in way more ways than one.

Reaction Score
Woof. I graduated in 2010 (was in a frat too). I heard a lot changed since I graduated (I believe I was the last, if not the next to last year to get the real spring weekend experience). But what you just said makes me cringe.

Reaction Score
UConn may once have been a house-party school, but it's more of a no-party school now. I graduated in 2018 and every year I was there it felt like the school/town took an increasingly hardened stance. I'm sure that the Chinese Coronavirus was just the excuse UConn needed to smother what was left.

Reaction Score

Definitely asked! The students I worked with simply responded that most people at UConn didn't really go out to the bars. As someone from WI, a place where bars outnumber grocery stores nearly 3:1, you can understand my confusion.

My thought was that there must have been an original cause for this. As TRest said, maybe it was allotted number of licenses or such, and the culture just formed around the circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom