2021 Recruiting: - Rocket Watts rumor | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: Rocket Watts rumor

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I never said it was the middle of nowhere. But the reality is that freshmen and sophomores can't have cars (or couldn't in my day) and that Hartford isn't remotely interesting. Yes, you can get to Boston or New York with a car. So? If you want the feel of a college town, where lots of college students walk from campus to a busy downtown area...you don't get it at UConn. You can get it at places that are much more the middle of nowhere like Manhattan, KS. I blame Mansfield mostly, but much of the east side of 195 should have been developed. There is a bunch of open land off Gurleyville behind Whitney.

I liked how close-knit the UConn student body was, I think in part due to our relative isolation. But it sure isn't for everybody. The only point here is that UConn alumni throwing stones at other campus locations, even Starkville, is pretty ridiculous.
Reread my post and realize that I never said that you said “Storrs was in the middle of nowhere.”
I agree with you that the University of Connecticut isn’t an urban campus. I just don’t think that that’s a particularly insightful revelation.

I’m also on board for blaming the peoples Republic of Mansfield for, well pretty much anything from global inequity to rainy days. Their NIMBYism has prevented really important developments in Storrs, notably having a Pfizer research facility on campus. That would have dramatically increased our standing in the research community, possibly granting us AAU status, and would have been a source of jobs for northeastern Connecticut, which could use it.

I will disagree with you that Storrs doesn’t have a college town feel or that the college ambiance is somehow lacking. I just had a friend visit the campus in his quote was “this is how college campuses want to be. All the brick buildings and a centralized campus. I was really impressed.” Sometimes I think we discount it because it is “state U” and not an Ivy League school. That just isn’t a realistic assessment.

You and I can disagree that the fact that you can get to major cities relatively easily is a factor in determining UConn is not “ in the middle of nowhere.“

I’m absolutely in agreement that it is always foolish to try to promote yourself, or in this case your college, by denigrating others. Talk about your strengths not others perceived weaknesses. I’ll respectfully suggest that those making the argument “well Storrs, Connecticut is just as bad“ are really just the pot calling the kettle black.

CL82

Reaction Score
Bingo. This is the only thing anyone was talking about.

Now CL82 is making it a discussion point on comparing UConn to other schools' fun and traveling 2.5 hours to hang out in a big city.
You are absolutely right the only major city in any proximity to the University of Connecticut is New York, well, wait a minute, that’s not true is it? Hartford, Providence, Boston are all closer than that. With all due respect, the notion that Yukon is in the middle of nowhere is just a meritless one.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You are absolutely right the only major city in any proximity to the University of Connecticut is New York, well, wait a minute, that’s not true is it? Hartford, Providence, Boston are all closer than that. With all due respect, the notion that UConn is in the middle of nowhere it’s just a vapid one.

Sure. But nobody is saying that UConn "is in the middle of nowhere". It isn't part of the argument. You're the only one talking about that. The proximity of cities is pretty irrelevant to a kid in a dorm with no car. What's in Storrs is all that matters. I'll even grant you that it is probably feasible to Uber to the brewery in Willimantic.

CL82

Reaction Score
If you want the feel of a college town, where lots of college students walk from campus to a busy downtown area...you don't get it at UConn.
Correct. UConn isn't located in a busy downtown area. No one is disputing that are they?
Sure. But nobody is saying that UConn "is in the middle of nowhere". It isn't part of the argument. You're the only one talking about that. The proximity of cities is pretty irrelevant to a kid in a dorm with no car. What's in Storrs is all that matters. I'll even grant you that it is probably feasible to Uber to the brewery in Willimantic.
Well as I understand the argument, the point was that some posters commented that Starkville was in the middle nowhere and Mr. French said Storrs is just bad, so yeah, that argument is being made and it is wrong.

I will respectfully disagree with you that walking distance is all that matters. It's kind of silly to suggest it. Even before I brought my car to Storrs, I went places which were off campus, pretty regularly and that was significantly before the Uber era.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Correct. UConn isn't located in a busy downtown area. No one is disputing that are they?

Well as I understand the argument, the point was that some posters commented that Starkville was in the middle nowhere and Mr. French said Storrs is just bad, so yeah, that argument is being made and it is wrong.

I will respectfully disagree with you that walking distance is all that matters. It's kind of silly to suggest it. Even before I brought my car to Storrs, I went places which were off campus, pretty regularly and that was significantly before the Uber era.

Holy cow it’s tough to have any sort of reasonable discussion here.

CL82

Reaction Score
Holy cow it’s tough to have any sort of reasonable discussion here.
I guess, if you define people disagreeing with your contention that UConn is surrounded by farmland as being unreasonable.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I guess, if you define people disagreeing with your contention that UConn is surrounded by farmland as being unreasonable.

Or if you just disagree with everything, even things that weren’t brought up.

If you can’t believe a kid went to another campus that is in the middle of nowhere instead of going to UConn, and your main point is that the other campus is in the middle of nowhere (the entire thing I was originally commenting on) then you have zero self-awareness.

Define “farm” and “rural” “suburban” and “close proximity to cities” and “fun” and “middle of nowhere” literally however you want.

CL82

Reaction Score
Or if you just disagree with everything, even things that weren’t brought up.

If you can’t believe a kid went to another campus that is in the middle of nowhere instead of going to UConn, and your main point is that the other campus is in the middle of nowhere (the entire thing I was originally commenting on) then you have zero self-awareness.

Define “farm” and “rural” “suburban” and “close proximity to cities” and “fun” and “middle of nowhere” literally however you want.
If you have to argue that Storrs is surrounded by farmland, 90 miles from a city to make your point. You don't have one. It's ironic that you are being critical of posters (not me by the way) point out the fact that Starkville is in the middle of nowhere, and it is, by making the same claim about Storrs, which is not. I'm not sure why that was such a hot button for you.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
If you have to argue that Storrs is surrounded by farmland, 90 miles from a city to make your point. You don't have one. It's ironic that you are being critical of posters (not me by the way) point out the fact that Starkville is in the middle of nowhere, and it is, by making the same claim about Storrs, which is not. I'm not sure why that was such a hot button for you.

You jumped in to argue about something that didn’t reference you, and you didn’t say, so obviously it was a hot button issue FOR YOU.

I answered this 5x by now, but 90 miles away from a city doesn’t make your campus less remote or less rural or more or less fun, and it definitely doesn’t mean you can’t have farms. I’m pretty sure there are farms within 90 miles of a LOT of cities.

So again, and for the last time, you’re being (maybe intentionally? Chief’s other account?) not self-aware.

CL82

Reaction Score
You jumped in to argue about something that didn’t reference you, and you didn’t say, so obviously it was a hot button issue FOR YOU.

I answered this 5x by now, but 90 miles away from a city doesn’t make your campus less remote or less rural or more or less fun, and it definitely doesn’t mean you can’t have farms. I’m pretty sure there are farms within 90 miles of a LOT of cities.

So again, and for the last time, you’re being (maybe intentionally? Chief’s other account?) not self-aware.
Lol, if you are posting on a message board, you can't get your panties in a bunch when someone reacts to what you've posted.

You consistently imply that there is nothing between Storrs and Boston (the 90 minute reference) both above and in the quote below:
That’s kinda my point. 90 minutes to the nearest city in farm land is not “around” anything.
That is absolutely false. You said that "you aren't a Connecticut guy" but surely you understand that that is false, right? So why be so disingenuous?

I am "a Connecticut guy" so you will forgive me if I point that that is erroneous every time you say it. The irony is that you are doing the same thing that you complained about other posters doing.

Reaction Score
Lol, if you are posting on a message board, you can't get your panties in a bunch when someone reacts to what you've posted.

You consistently imply that there is nothing between Storrs and Boston (the 90 minute reference) both above and in the quote below:

That is absolutely false. You said that "you aren't a Connecticut guy" but surely you understand that that is false, right? So why be so disingenuous?

I am "a Connecticut guy" so you will forgive me if I point that that is erroneous every time you say it. The irony is that you are doing the same thing that you complained about other posters doing.
Do you have an "off" switch? You do realize that you are not required to endlessly argue about every single point that anyone raises on here. When do you reach the point where you finally say...it doesn't really matter, on to something else. You're like the person that has to get the last word in every single time....let it go, please

CL82

Reaction Score
Do you have an "off" switch? You do realize that you are not required to endlessly argue about every single point that anyone raises on here. When do you reach the point where you finally say...it doesn't really matter, on to something else. You're like the person that has to get the last word in every single time....let it go, please
Feel free to use the ignore function and then you won't see a single post of mine. You realize that that is option for you, right?

Reaction Score
Feel free to use the ignore function and then you won't see a single post of mine. You realize that that is option for you, right?
What good would ignoring you be. Having you around lets me know that my existence on this rock isn't so bad.

CL82

Reaction Score
What good would ignoring you be. Having you around lets me know that my existence on this rock isn't so bad.
Then there really isn't much point in whining about it right?

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Meh. Less than 90 minutes to Boston. Less than 2.5 hours to NYC. A half hour Hartford and an hour to Providence. That's not really rural. It's more suburban. Olean to NYC is what 5, 5.5 hours?

That said I think that part of the charm of Storrs is that it is owns world and out in the country. Other than going to shows or games I stayed on campus and there was always plenty to do.

Remember that time CL82 contradicted himself AND agreed with me in post one? Out in the country, in its own world? But really, I pointed out I wasn't a CT guy, and we all know that's what bothered him the most, as he took what I was saying as a slight to the campus and the area. I love the campus, for the 15th time.

Being multiple hours away doesn't make a college campus "close" to things unless your only reference to closeness is Guam.

I know when I was in college, at my middle of nowhere campus that I absolutely loved, when we discussed close-by things, the cities that was 60, 90 and 150 minutes away were always high on our list.

News flash: College students spend the vast majority of their time on -- catch this -- campus. What's 2.5 hours away is less a consideration than what is actually right there.

And Chief's burner account liked this post making the point about what's 2.5 hours away, yet that's his main point in every post, including his very first one that he jumped in to argue.

Not a lot going on in rural CT. They have to fill the time somehow!

It's not rural, it's suburban. There's also no farms within 90 miles of any cities, and something you'd describe as "in its own world out in the country" cannot, under any circumstances, be called rural or farms. Even if there are, in fact, farms, cows and woods.

Ok, ok, I'm seriously done now. Love Rocket and love Storrs!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom