RJ Cole expectations? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

RJ Cole expectations?

Reaction Score
We had this exact thread a few months ago and people had him putting up stats that only a few players in our history have ever put up. And already, I've seen a couple in this thread. If he gives us 10 and 4 I'd be ecstatic. Maybe, though, just for once, temper the expectations? Have we EVER had a thread like this where the guy has lived up to these crazy stat lines? I think someone had Ater Majok at 20 and 10 one time.

Reaction Score
If we aggregate anticipated individual scoring averages, 2020-2021 Huskies are gonna throw up 130 a game!

Mine is always around 85!! Let me take the first crack: Bouk (18), Cole (15), Whaley (8), Gaffney (7), Polley (6), Jackson (6), Adams (6), Carlton (5), Springs (4), Wilson (4), Javonte (2).

Not bad only 81!!

Reaction Score
Mine is always around 85!! Let me take the first crack: Bouk (18), Cole (15), Whaley (8), Gaffney (7), Polley (6), Jackson (6), Adams (6), Carlton (5), Springs (4), Wilson (4), Javonte (2).

Not bad only 81!!

I like Bouk at 17 to 18.

I see Cole at 13.5 points and somewhere around 5 assists. He may have a couple games where he goes off for 20 something though. In fact, I expect him to.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking 10 & 3 and above 40% from deep. He'll be inconsistent but he'll have some big games. I assume Cole will be off the ball more since Gaff is more of a distributor and we won't want him off the ball too much His role is going to be so different and the level of comp will obviously be much higher.

The one thing I am excited about with Cole is that he appears to be a skilled player. In terms of recent high-profile transfers, Purvis and Larrier didn't have me all that excited; their freshman year tapes at NC State and VCU weren't all that impressive. Both were raw skill-wise. I know Cole played a low level but he can shoot (at least one skill to hang his hat on) and handle the ball.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
We should expect him to be solid. MEAC players don't have a history of transfering up to this level and continuing the same level of production. Being small and unathletic could hurt him defensively, also considering the quality of players he's now guarding.

Reaction Score
Those thinking Cole will average 5-6 assists...what's that going to mean for Gaffney?

5 APG isn't that common in college hoops. Based on our history, if Cole averages that many assists it means he's going to be by far the most ball-dominant player on the team.

Since Marcus Williams--the best passer we've ever had--left 15 years ago, these are the only seasons where someone has averaged 5+ APG.

6.1 Jalen 2017
5.8 Bazz 2012
5.8 AJ 2008
5.1 Kemba 2010

Reaction Score
I'm thinking 10 & 3 and above 40% from deep. He'll be inconsistent but he'll have some big games. I assume Cole will be off the ball more since Gaff is more of a distributor and we won't want him off the ball too much His role is going to be so different and the level of comp will obviously be much higher.

The one thing I am excited about with Cole is that he appears to be a skilled player. In terms of recent high-profile transfers, Purvis and Larrier didn't have me all that excited; their freshman year tapes at NC State and VCU weren't all that impressive. Both were raw skill-wise. I know Cole played a low level but he can shoot (at least one skill to hang his hat on) and handle the ball.

Cole had 415 assists in 2 seasons, despite scoring quite a bit. That speaks to his midset on passing. It will be really interesting to see how the backcourt talent meshes and blends.

Reaction Score

Not bad only 81!!
Hey, you're back tracking here. 16-17 ppg you keep saying. Stick with that.

Reaction Score
If he can be a John Gwynn for us I’ll be more than happy. Come off the bench and change the games tempo, light the scoreboard up.

Can’t stay on the floor too long though. At his size he’ll be exposed defensively at the BE level of BB.

Reaction Score
If he can be a John Gwynn for us I’ll be more than happy. Come off the bench and change the games tempo, light the scoreboard up.

Can’t stay on the floor too long though. At his size he’ll be exposed defensively at the BE level of BB.
You know the past 3 Big East POTY were 6’2, 5’11 & 6’1

Reaction Score
I’m still hoping we land Nolley and he’s our second leading scorer with around 13 ppg, Bouknight 15-14 cole at 10-11.5 with each of them going off for over 20 depending on the game. I think that leaves gaff on the bench playing serious minutes and similar production to this year. Junior year it’s gaffney, Jackson and Akok/Javonte s team. I’m probably wrong about all of this but it’s how it plays out in my head.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
3pt shooting % is suspect, heard his D is very questionable, on the bright side he can score and is a lefty. I think he has leadership qualities but if the D isn't there we will all be missing Al. Have to wait and see and I am hoping he is everything that some are saying...….

Reaction Score
39% is not suspect. That’s what he shot as a sophomore. Worried about lateral quickness on defense but as a shooter, ball handler and creator he can absolutely compete at the high major level.

Reaction Score
I thought RJ was Kemba level? Reading some posts that is what one would believe. I hope he is good enough to start and play 25 minutes.

Reaction Score
Oh yeah, forgot about the total scoring game. Love it when cats inadvertently predict we're going to break LMUs scoring records. I'd imagine we'll be around 75/gm tops which is actually pretty good for CBB nowadays; would've been around top 50 in the current landscape.

Reaction Score
39% is not suspect. That’s what he shot as a sophomore. Worried about lateral quickness on defense but as a shooter, ball handler and creator he can absolutely compete at the high major level.

Yes, and as I’ve stated several times in the past that 39% was when opposing defenses keyed in on him. He’ll be operating with much more space here which is why I confidently say he’ll shoot 40% from 3.

Reaction Score
You know the past 3 Big East POTY were 6’2, 5’11 & 6’1

I didn’t. But, I’d say that RJ is in the 5’9” range. And not exceptionally quick nor athletic. Which can be overcome on the offensive end by having exceptional offensive skills, which he seems to have. But on the defensive end, he’s going to have liabilities.

Reaction Score
I didn’t. But, I’d say that RJ is in the 5’9” range. And not exceptionally quick nor athletic. Which can be overcome on the offensive end by having exceptional offensive skills, which he seems to have. But on the defensive end, he’s going to have liabilities.
Might be a stretch but I assume the real heights of all those guys are too, but RJ is listed at 6'1

Reaction Score
I just want RJ to come in and lead the team, as hes obviously gonna start for the next two years. Scoring will be very distributed next year, just gotta keep everyone focused.

Reaction Score

I’d give him just about 5’11”

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
3pt shooting % is suspect, heard his D is very questionable, on the bright side he can score and is a lefty. I think he has leadership qualities but if the D isn't there we will all be missing Al. Have to wait and see and I am hoping he is everything that some are saying...….
His D doesn’t look terrible on tape when he’s motivated. His short arms don’t help.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom