RJ Cole expectations? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

RJ Cole expectations?

Reaction Score
Wasn't there a tweet that said last year all grad transfers averaging double figures that transferred up failed to do so on their new team? RJ Cole isn't a grad transfer of course, it just demonstrates the leap he is taking.

I'm still setting my expectations at a slightly more efficient Tarin Smith with a better 3 point shot. So something like 9/3/3.
“Slightly better Tarin smith?” Jesus I hope not. If that’s the case get AG back now - at least he ll be a ball hawk on D

Reaction Score
He is a small low mid major point guard. Hurley likes big guards. I have no idea why he landed the kid. He will be fine in a backup role. There are people here expecting him to be better than Napier, better than AJ Price. Please
Wasn't there a tweet that said last year all grad transfers averaging double figures that transferred up failed to do so on their new team? RJ Cole isn't a grad transfer of course, it just demonstrates the leap he is taking.

I'm still setting my expectations at a slightly more efficient Tarin Smith with a better 3 point shot. So something like 9/3/3.
I’ve posted these stats a few time but they seem useful again.

He played 11 games against P5/G5 competition (I included A-10 teams and Ivy League). His output is as followed in those games
20.3 PPG
6.3 assists/game
3 TOs/game
32% on 3s
35% on 2s
Nearly 8 free throws/game at 81%

Shooting percentages aren’t great but his usage rates in these games are really high. Pretty much due to lack of talent on his team and teams keying in on him all game. It’s hard to draw exact conclusions from these but I found the numbers interesting. It’s clear Cole can score the rock when needed, his free throw attempts are really high as well which is a great sign. It seems to me that Hurley targeted him and recruited him to play a big role on this team for the next two seasons,
Not to spell players off bench in a limited role. Hard to project exact stats but he’s gonna be a productive player here.

Reaction Score

He is a small low mid major point guard. Hurley likes big guards. I have no idea why he landed the kid. He will be fine in a backup role. There are people here expecting him to be better than Napier, better than AJ Price. Please

Is this turning into a "How bad can RJ Cole be" contest? I keep telling myself to stop posting on this subject but this is just ridiculous. Some of you are so clueless as to what we have in this kid.

Reaction Score
Is this turning into a "How bad can RJ Cole be" contest? I keep telling myself to stop posting on this subject but this is just ridiculous. Some of you are so clueless as to what we have in this kid.
Again I ask. Have you seen him play?

Reaction Score
Again I ask. Have you seen him play?

Do you think I'm guessing? All of his games are available to watch if you're interested. I also know 2 guys who are in practice every day and say nobody quite understands what we have in store.

On the other hand, now I guess why I see some people aren't convinced we'll be a good team next year. If I thought we'd get <10ppg and <4apg from Cole, I don't think we'd be that good either. However I think he'll be the second best PG in the Big East after Ty-Shon Alexander.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Do you think I'm guessing? All of his games are available to watch if you're interested. I also know 2 guys who are in practice every day and say nobody quite understands what we have in store.

On the other hand, now I guess why I see some people aren't convinced we'll be a good team next year. If I thought we'd get <10ppg and <4apg from Cole, I don't think we'd be that good either. However I think he'll be the second best PG in the Big East after Ty-Shon Alexander.

Ty-Shon Alexander isn't a point guard.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I’ve posted these stats a few time but they seem useful again.

He played 11 games against P5/G5 competition (I included A-10 teams and Ivy League). His output is as followed in those games
20.3 PPG
6.3 assists/game
3 TOs/game
32% on 3s
35% on 2s
Nearly 8 free throws/game
This right here, is why we need to have realistic expectations.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score

Have you watched any of the Howard games in full?? If so, God Bless.

Reaction Score
Yeah I’m not expecting 20 PPG, that’d be crazy talk. I get the shooting percentages aren’t great, but his team was awful, especially in comparison to those teams. I just wanted to share these to highlight that the kid can play. No clue what it means in terms of his averages next season, but Hurley has shown he has an eye for talent. He wouldn’t recruit this kid to ride the bench.

Reaction Score

You are a good poster. But please acknowledge those percentages will go way up when he’s surrounded by actual good players.

Reaction Score

I don't know you so I don't know if you are guessing. I have seen several over hyped players over the years so I am a bit skeptical of boneyard opinion.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
You are a good poster. But please acknowledge those percentages will go way up when he’s surrounded by actual good players.
Thanks. I'm sure his numbers won't be that bad, but I'm not expecting a monumental jump to great efficiency either. Guess we'll see.

Reaction Score
You guys are unbelievable. We have a starting point guard. He is big and looks to be at worst a solid player. Cole played in the lowest level D1 league in the country. Those guys are rarely stars at higher levels. And he played well against Georgetown. Great. You do understand that guys occasionally have good games against superior opponents. But that there is a huge difference between playing well against Georgetown in November then playing Delaware State and Florida A&M and playing Georgetown then Villanova then Marquette. The difference in size, speed and skill on an every day basis will be staggering. BTW Georgetown had huge leads in both games agaist Howard With Cole. He played the whole game practically. You think maybe his numbers were helped when Georgetown stopped playing tough d up by 20 or so?

My guess is he will be a useful piece off the bench spelling Gaffney. But in any case he isn’t getting 5 assists and 13 points.
Sheeees You may need to get out and get some fresh air.

Reaction Score
Thanks. I'm sure his numbers won't be that bad, but I'm not expecting a monumental jump to great efficiency either. Guess we'll see.

I hope we uptempo things next season. Watching Cole and Gaffney lead the break and hit Bouk or Jackson to finish will be a treat.

Reaction Score
I hope we uptempo things next season. Watching Cole and Gaffney lead the break and hit Bouk or Jackson to finish will be a treat.
I watch games from our past and we used to run lots more than now. With better talent we should be running more. I believe in 94/95 we averaged 87 points.

Reaction Score
I watch games from our past and we used to run lots more than now. With better talent we should be running more. I believe in 94/95 we averaged 87 points.

It is a little bit harder to run than it used to be. Seems to me like teams aren't crashing the offensive boards like in the 90s. Analytics and all that.

But it's also because of the type of kid KO recruited. CV/AG/Tyler Phommachanh/Carlton weren't meant to run. Solid players with a different skillset. Hurley's type of recruit has the ability to run. See: Bouk, Jackson, Akok, Precious... all our priority recruits at the 1-4 spots.

Reaction Score

Right. He was hounded on offense by opposing defenses. Therefore he took lots of contested shots. That shooting percentage is a result of a high number of contested shots. You will see much less of that here. As I stated Bouk, Gaffney, Adams, Jackson, Polley, and Whaley will require plenty of attention themselves. This will open things up for Cole.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Right. He was hounded on offense by opposing defenses. Therefore he took lots of contested shots. That shooting percentage is a result of a high number of contested shots. You will see much less of that here. As I stated Bouk, Gaffney, Adams, Jackson, Polley, and Whaley will require plenty of attention themselves. This will open things up for Cole.
No doubt his new teammates will have a positive impact on him, will be interesting to see if he can be the trend breaker. I trust Hurley's talent evaluation, considering the promise his recruits have shown.

Reaction Score

I myself appreciate your optimism. I was at the open practice the beginning of the year, and they were playing 5v5. He looked pretty good, composed, handled the ball well, was shifty, opportunistic, gets his shot off quick.

I've heard nothing but good things about RJ, definitely more of a high IQ ball player than an athlete, and we'll see how his D is, but I expect him to have a good season starting right up with game #1.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
CV went live on Instagram today and was asked about RJ. Take it for what it’s worth but CV was raving bout RJ and said he’s been killin it in practice all year.
He also said that there was no way he was coming back even if they give seniors another year of eligibility. Seems like he’s totally ready to move on.

Reaction Score
Its not an exact parallel, but next years' team reminds me of the 1997 UConn team that wasn't quite ready but made a big splash nationally-

PG - RJ Cole(Jr) v Khalid(Fr) - both first year players, explosive scorers and good vision and handle
G - Jalen Gaffney vs Ricky Moore - Steady team-first players
Swing - Bouknight vs RIP - both sophomores with strong freshmen years, three level scorers primed to take over as primary scorer and featured talent.
F - Pork Chop vs Kevin Freeman - Both undersized post players who can board and play rugged D and are primarily energy players
C - Voskhul vs Carlton - haha jk but in an ideal world carlton could just be voskuhl. Play rugged defense, set good screens, and board. Anchor down low. Will he? Meh im skeptical

Ok, the rosters diverse masively from there. For example Andre Jackson is a much better talent than the 1997 team had off the "bench" and he might start anyway, we don't have a shooter anywhere near albert mouring's level, but I'd generally say the talent level on next years's team is likely a cut above 1997,

Anyway just thought it was interesting

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom