RJ Cole Appreciation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

RJ Cole Appreciation

Reaction Score
RJ knows his history of the Coaching GOAT very well! :D

His twitter response: "Go watch the film then come back and talk to me."

That thread asks "If you could take any recent alum, and put them back on your favorite team, who are you going with?"

Adama Sanogo would make this team a 99% lock
James Bouknight - I'd love to watch Bouk in action for a full season as a junior
Andre Jackson - this team would be insane!

If the point of the discussion is who from a past team would make this years UConn team better. RJ Cole wouldn't be my pick. Great player for us but there wouldn't be minutes for him. He'd be battling with Diarra for minutes as a 6th/7th man.

Andre Jackson is the obvious answer.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
“X“ is an absolute cesspool these days. I don’t know why anyone is even paying attention to it anymore. I deleted it months ago. It’s pure garbage.
:p:eek:
It was an appendix of the FBI and DOJ 3 years ago - yeah so much better
Never was on it and never will be

Reaction Score
You only disrespect yourself by getting dragged into something like that. Cole is a professional basketball player... he needs to be concerned with the thoughts of a random Twitter fan?
RJ's response was prompted by a UConn "fan" insinuating that RJ didn't use his covid year of eligibility(as if everyone wants to spend 6 years in college) because Hurley didn't want him back and wasn't given the option to do so. if RJ can't respond to that type of nonsense and is only "disrespecting himself" by doing so, yea, we won't agree on this subject.

Dutch Boyd

A fine place to live
Reaction Score
I say this all the time, some UConn fans are almost as bad as Kentucky fans. I see this stuff and it’s embarrassing especially being an alum.

Reaction Score
“X“ is an absolute cesspool these days. I don’t know why anyone is even paying attention to it anymore. I deleted it months ago. It’s pure garbage.
It's exactly the same as it ever was. Some interesting stuff, a lot of garbage.

Reaction Score
Correct I’m just jumping into this thread so when I saw the OP stating fans ( plural) I was a bit confused thinking why would UConn fans go after RJ Cole, makes sense it was like I said a doofus with a hot take and is convinced by his own narrative of a hypothetical.

Like how he immediately backtracks saying he’s appreciative of RJ Cole as a defense mechanism, while sticking to his narrative. You’re entitled to your opinion but good on RJ calling him out.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
RJ's response was prompted by a UConn "fan" insinuating that RJ didn't use his covid year of eligibility(as if everyone wants to spend 6 years in college) because Hurley didn't want him back and wasn't given the option to do so. if RJ can't respond to that type of nonsense and is only "disrespecting himself" by doing so, yea, we won't agree on this subject.

People would a lot better off if they didn't concern themselves as much with the opinions of others - let some randos on Twitter.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Correct I’m just jumping into this thread so when I saw the OP stating fans ( plural) I was a bit confused thinking why would UConn fans go after RJ Cole, makes sense it was like I said a doofus with a hot take and is convinced by his own narrative of a hypothetical.

Like how he immediately backtracks saying he’s appreciative of RJ Cole as a defense mechanism, while sticking to his narrative. You’re entitled to your opinion but good on RJ calling him out.
Yeah same I thought they were like tagging him and talking to him directly which was a real wtf. But it seems like RJ stumbled on a hot take which isn’t much better but there’s hot takes all over Twitter.

Reaction Score
Yeah same I thought they were like tagging him and talking to him directly which was a real wtf. But it seems like RJ stumbled on a hot take which isn’t much better but there’s hot takes all over Twitter.
Right it’s one thing if it’s an NFL qb of let’s say a NY team

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
RJ and Martin were warriors for us. It’s a shame they went 0-2 in the NCAA tournament.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That "take" was so horrible I wish I never read it. RJ Cole is a huge part of the UConn renaissance. No UConn fan makes that comment, just a plastic fan.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
It always was a cesspool and pure garbage.
It is much worse now. There are absolutely no controls. It used to be pretty common to get banned quite often for minor things. No longer true for some pretty heinous content. But digress….I love RJ!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It wasn’t UConn fans btw it was this doofus,

However, the statement that a Top-10 team doesn't have Cole as their star is correct.

He's a solid bench player on any high level team. As others mentioned he was asked to stretch beyond his strengths and also asked to play a ton of minutes and we could see him fatigue in the end of games.

At the end of the day, appreciate what he did, don't oversell his accomplishments or capabilities and be thankful UConn's roster is stronger than it was when Cole was the best player on the team.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
However, the statement that a Top-10 team doesn't have Cole as their star is correct.

He's a solid bench player on any high level team. As others mentioned he was asked to stretch beyond his strengths and also asked to play a ton of minutes and we could see him fatigue in the end of games.

At the end of the day, appreciate what he did, don't oversell his accomplishments or capabilities and be thankful UConn's roster is stronger than it was when Cole was the best player on the team.
Where do you think AITA comes down on this, Chin? Your cherry-picking, omitting the nasty, unfounded personal attack?

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
It’s hard to overstate how important Cole, Martin, and Whaley were in building the culture and toughness that Hurley needed in this program.

Any UConn fan who has a negative word to say about those three can F right on off.
Agreed. I'm not spending time to follow the Twitter thing, but the little bit that I saw wasn't UConn fans ragging on him.

Reaction Score
RJ was a big part as to why UConn stayed respectable. I will always be grateful for the likes of him, Whaley, Martin and Christian Vital. They were the bridge.
I would also include Gilbert on that list. I always wonder how he would have developed if had not had the injuries, and if the NCAA didn't make it illegal to breathe on on a ballhandler while he was in college. I remember watching videos of him in high schools going against elite guards and making it so hard for them just to get the ball across halfcourt.

Reaction Score
No one took it to the hoop like R.J. Loved him and was super sad when he left. Onions.

Reaction Score
RJ could distribute, score and defend. He could have played for this team, probably first guard off the bench.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Where do you think AITA comes down on this, Chin? Your cherry-picking, omitting the nasty, unfounded personal attack?

I'm cherry picking for my personal opinion. I think worrying about players on team's past who weren't top of the line championship material is a waste of time.

It's fair for fans to honestly discuss a player's strengths and weaknesses and project how it would impact other teams.

I don't think pointing out he left with a potential year of elgibility and allowable money (NIL) is out of line. It's cold and harsh but from what I know he wasn't scooped up by anyone else.

I wasn't the biggest Cole fan in the world and I went round and round with a few on this board over it. But I sure as heck wouldn't start a thread or a tweet or anything else about it mid-January. Maybe a June or July dead time discussion but I doubt I'd even start one then.

A championship is supposed to erase five years of and bad memories and give you five years of hope.

And for the record, I love those AITA topics. It is a pure guilty pleasure reading those stories.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
RJ knows his history of the Coaching GOAT very well! :D

His twitter response: "Go watch the film then come back and talk to me."

That thread asks "If you could take any recent alum, and put them back on your favorite team, who are you going with?"

Adama Sanogo would make this team a 99% lock
James Bouknight - I'd love to watch Bouk in action for a full season as a junior
Andre Jackson - this team would be insane!

Why put Bouk on the team as a junior when you could put Hawk back on the team as a junior? Proof of concept!

Reaction Score
Why put Bouk on the team as a junior when you could put Hawk back on the team as a junior? Proof of concept!
Why? We got to see plenty of Hawkins who topped off his career cutting down the nets. We barely got to see Bouknight, just 43 games, 15 as a sophomore and a Round 1 exit. Dude was averaging almost 19 ppg and was just scratching the surface. We really missed out on some entertainment value.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueWolf25

Top Bottom