RJ Cole Appreciation | The Boneyard

RJ Cole Appreciation

Reaction Score

Rj Cole was defending himself to UConn “fans” on Twitter today, so just wanted to share this video from one of my favorite XL Center experiences.

We wouldn’t be anywhere near where we are right now without Rj, Whaley, Polley, etc.

Reaction Score

Rj Cole was defending himself to UConn “fans” on Twitter today, so just wanted to share this video from one of my favorite XL Center experiences.

We wouldn’t be anywhere near where we are right now without Rj, Whaley, Polley, etc.

Weird, RJ was an absolute warrior for us. He was asked to do too much here and he almost always succeeded in doing it. He was the most important bridge player UConn had in turning it around to where UConn basketball is now. I love that guy.

Reaction Score
I think he did good in his first year here. Bouknight was the clear #1 option and RJ was the guy who would pick up the opposing PG 94 feet all game and make his life hell. Didnt shoot a good percentage but still scored a decent amount. But that was 80% Bouknight’s team and 20% everyone else

Second year the gameplan was to force feed Sanogo. Other coaches figured it out and we had nothing else. RJ wasn’t supposed to be the 6’0 only scoring option, but he was forced into the role and turned it into first team all BE

He wasn’t the superstar of a team that made a tournament run, but the only reason we expected him to do that was because he outperformed his role

Reaction Score
I think he did good in his first year here. Bouknight was the clear #1 option and RJ was the guy who would pick up the opposing PG 94 feet all game and make his life hell. Didnt shoot a good percentage but still scored a decent amount. But that was 80% Bouknight’s team and 20% everyone else

Second year the gameplan was to force feed Sanogo. Other coaches figured it out and we had nothing else. RJ wasn’t supposed to be the 6’0 only scoring option, but he was forced into the role and turned it into first team all BE

He wasn’t the superstar of a team that made a tournament run, but the only reason we expected him to do that was because he outperformed his role
That last point is really important for Husky fans to know. So much was asked of him beyond what he initially was expected to be doing. He exceeded what was asked of him initially so some Husky fans expected him to be like a Shabazz Napier, which is unfair, because the chances of meeting Napier's level was so low.

He, Whaley, Martin, and Bouknight are a big reason indirectly why UConn won in 2023-they rebuilt the foundation that had broken into bits. That foundation provided the stability for the building blocks of the team last year as well as this year.

People shouldn't be ripping on RJ Cole, they should thank him for his hard work and service to UConn Basketball.

Reaction Score
He wasn’t the greatest LG we ever had but the kid always gave it 100% and was more than competent. He was also a great kid and student . He made the successful transition from a low major to a high major which is a great achievement. No he wouldn’t be
a starter last year or this but I would take him in a heartbeat off the bench with Diarra. Another guy with a great handle and decent shot would increase the potency of this team substantially.

Reaction Score
People shouldn't be ripping on RJ Cole, they should thank him for his hard work and service to UConn Basketball.
This is the big thing for me. How can you not recognize what he did for the program. He was undersized, under recruited, and came in and raised the level of the team every single year he was here. He’s gotta be the least respected All-Big East player I can remember.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Fwiw, guys weren’t talking directly to RJ Cole on Twitter when this happened. I believe the conversation popped up on his timeline and he jumped in it to defend himself.

He definitely shouldn’t have been asked to do as much as he did here and that’s not his fault.

Reaction Score
IMG_3330.gif

*rjco1e on insta

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He wasn’t the greatest LG we ever had but the kid always gave it 100% and was more than competent. He was also a great kid and student . He made the successful transition from a low major to a high major which is a great achievement. No he wouldn’t be
a starter last year or this but I would take him in a heartbeat off the bench with Diarra. Another guy with a great handle and decent shot would increase the potency of this team substantially.
Yup, he could’ve excelled both individually and team wise off the bench. That’s what the other guy from Howard who also lead the nation in scoring did for Tennessee.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The patently unfair criticism RJ received when he played here (and a few on here were among those who knocked him) was that he wasn't Kemba or Shabazz. He played his heart out for us and left it all on the court. He deserves prause not criticism.

Reaction Score
Liked RJ. Tough competitor and a key piece in the rebuild.

I gotta wonder what drives these guys to reply to idiots on Twitter over your cbb from a couple years ago?
they get disrespected and they respond, guys on this board carry out years long blood feuds for less

Reaction Score
RJ knows his history of the Coaching GOAT very well! :D

His twitter response: "Go watch the film then come back and talk to me."

That thread asks "If you could take any recent alum, and put them back on your favorite team, who are you going with?"

Adama Sanogo would make this team a 99% lock
James Bouknight - I'd love to watch Bouk in action for a full season as a junior
Andre Jackson - this team would be insane!

Reaction Score
One of the worst things about that first round loss to New Mex. St in 2022 was that it was the last game for Tyrese, RJ, Polley, and Whaley. Those guys may have been limited -- but they gutted it out amidst some brutally difficult circumstances (especially Polley and Whaley) and were major factors in transitioning the culture and turning around the sinking ship. Those guys deserved a better way to go out. Kudos to them for their efforts. The program was in a much better place when they left compared to where it was when they got here !!

Also makes me think "what if" -- if Hurley had adopted his new offense a season earlier....Gotta think a lineup of RJ, Tyrese, Hawkins, AJax and Sanogo could have performed at a higher level.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I think it started with UCONN fans talking ish to Gillespie after the game which is warranted.

Last year there was a live stream where NoEscalators and Gillespie where talking ish and Gillespie goes, “why don’t you guys do something. I’m tired of watching this crap. You guys haven’t been good in so long.” (Paraphrasing)

Since then UCONN has gone on to beat the piss out of everyone

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
they get disrespected and they respond, guys on this board carry out years long blood feuds for less

You only disrespect yourself by getting dragged into something like that. Cole is a professional basketball player... he needs to be concerned with the thoughts of a random Twitter fan?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom