Replace Kia in the starting lineup with ........ | The Boneyard

Replace Kia in the starting lineup with ........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kia Nurse is a terrific player but Gabby is better, more explosive, better rebounder, ...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Welcome to the Boneyard! Glad to see so many new posters these days.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Gabby is playing great. But does not carry the same assignments as Kia.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Welcome.
Consider this push back. You need Kia on the offensive end of the floor for spacing and as a secondary ball handler, Gabby 3Pt shot and ball handling is not where it needs for this offense to run at optimal level. If you are going to replace Kia in starting line up ( I still think this is a bad idea) Saniya or KLS are better candidates.

Reaction Score
Kia is tough as nails, but sometimes too aggressive and forces things a bit too much. That said, she is a good ball handler, who can make the occasional three (she needs to get more consistent with that) and play terrific D. I do, however, cringe a bit whenever she puts her head down and drives the lane. She misses open team mates when she does that, and usually commits a charging foul.

Reaction Score
They don't play the same position....
Forget about position strategy; go with the best athlete who can best help the team in different kind of ways. Some teams have a 4 guard system, don't they? Why not a 2 center, 2 forward, one guard or different other combos depending on the team played or particular time in the game being played? Let's think outside the box, or maybe NO box at all?

Reaction Score
Kia Nurse is a terrific player but Gabby is better, more explosive, better rebounder, ...
Welcome to the Boneyard.

Kia has been in something of a scoring slump, but her defense is still outstanding and she will be the heart of next year's team. She's a born leader and she has shown the world that she can perform under pressure when it counts.

She's the kind of player that Geno dreams of having; Kelly Faris with a greater upside on offense. She'll work her way out of her mid season funk and her shooting will improve, and she'll step up before the season is over.

We have a lot of weapons. Her moment has not yet arrived, but it will.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I do, however, cringe a bit whenever she puts her head down and drives the lane. She misses open team mates when she does that, and usually commits a charging foul.

I understand your concerns. However, I'm not sure "usually" is the right word. "Sometimes" seems more accurate to me. I well remember when Kia drove to the basket late in the Maryland game and made a beautiful pass to a wide-open Saniya in the corner, who hit a three-point shot to seal the victory. It was one of the great plays of the season. BTW, after watching last night's Kentucky-Tennessee game, both those teams would love to have (and desperately need) a player like Kia.

Reaction Score
I'm a big Gabby fan, however, I would go with the traditional line up and start Kia over her. Kia can nail the ocassional 3-ball to keep the defense honest. She's currently shooting the 3-ball at 32% (not great), but there is plenty of season left.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Whether I agree with the notion of replacing Kia with Gabby (and, for the record, I don't), ya gotta admit that it's pretty amusing that - with a team on a historic winning streak, 3 consecutive national titles, winning every game by double-digits, playing a tough OOC schedule - we're sitting here tweaking and second-guessing the starting line-up.

I'm not saying we can't do that, as fans, and I'm not saying "Geno is God", and I'm not saying the current line-up is incontestably the best possible - I just find it pretty damn funny.

We are spoiled. We always question. We are never completely satisfied (yes, yes, neither is Geno).

There are fans of other teams who would love, for one moment, to have our "problems". There's something about being a fan, particularly of the subspecies "newenglandus soxus waittilnextyearus", that leads us to always expect a grey (uniform) lining to even the most silvery of clouds.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Forget about position strategy; go with the best athlete who can best help the team in different kind of ways. Some teams have a 4 guard system, don't they? Why not a 2 center, 2 forward, one guard or different other combos depending on the team played or particular time in the game being played? Let's think outside the box, or maybe NO box at all?
Because we are UCONN. We have Geno. Geno is not in the habit of changing the starting line up based on the opponent. His philosophy is to be balanced enough that if a team wants to go small 4 guards then our bigs- ( regardless of how many start) have got to be able to take advantage of that. We like the box Geno has put us in!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Whether I agree with the notion of replacing Kia with Gabby (and, for the record, I don't), ya gotta admit that it's pretty amusing that - with a team on a historic winning streak, 3 consecutive national titles, winning every game by double-digits, playing a tough OOC schedule - we're sitting here tweaking and second-guessing the starting line-up.
I'm not so sure there is a WE. Just a rookie trying to earn his stripes. Give him enough rope.....

Reaction Score

Yes, Geno's approach hasn't worked at all. Definitely time to change. Let's go with a mismatched starting five instead

Makes no sense at all.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Even though I was someone who did not quite believe the Boneyard optimists' euphoric predictions about Kia when she was starting her freshman season (and I still don't expect to see her name on the wall at Gampel), I think that the idea of removing her from the starting lineup is close to sacrilegious. (Webster Online definition, since I had to look up the spelling: "[showing] gross irreverence toward a hallowed person, place, or thing.")

The two main reasons why I say that are: (a) defense; and (b) leadership. You can't replace (even with Gabby, her best friend on the team) Kia's competitive fire or her all-out effort. And that is reflected in her defense. I have no doubt that she is far more vocal than Gabby in practice and elsewhere in guiding the freshmen, and that she will do the same for next year's freshmen as well.

Gabby certainly has great athletic skills, but you can't measure the importance of competitiveness: Jenn Rizzotti, Jamelle Eliot, Diana, and Maya. It has a positive effect on the whole team, every minute of every game.

Sooner or later, there will be a confrontation on the court with some overly physical opponent taking liberties (maybe against Gabby), and then we will all see what I am talking about. I don't expect to see a fight, but perhaps some other payback from the Ontario hockey playbook.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If UConn went with that lineup, opponents would press the heck out of them trying to take advantage of the lack of ball handlers. Forwards can also have a hard time guarding guards on the perimeter as quicker ones can go right by them for a pull up jumper or drive to the hoops.

Reaction Score
Congratulations, Runitup, You just made the list of Boneyards who think they know more about WBB and how to run a team than HOF, 10 time NC, and 2 time Olympic coach WBB coach of the year, Geno. And it only took you 2 days on the Boneyard to do it! I think that's a record. Get you resume off to the AD as soon as possible. We are doomed if you don't get Geno fired and take his place. Apparently he does want to win anymore because he is not starting the players you think should be starting. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'm a big Gabby fan, however, I would go with the traditional line up and start Kia over her. Kia can nail the ocassional 3-ball to keep the defense honest. She's currently shooting the 3-ball at 32% (not great), but there is plenty of season left.
32% is the same as Kelly Mazzante shot at Penn State.

Reaction Score
Kia will start. She does so many little things out there to help the team. Defense is very good and she knows where to be all the time. Her shot has been off a little but when it's needed she usually comes up big. I would not trade her for any one, love this kid.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
One of the things Ive noticed is how well a ball Lou is. She brought the ball up court only a couple of times and her defender cant handle her. Now Im sure there are bigs that can but when Lou has the ball with a big girl on her she can blow by them and if a small player is guarding her she can shoot over them or pass over them. Maybe Gabby starts next season but for right now we need ball handlers and height and we have that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom